Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Hmmm Interesting.

I suppose as long as you already have a few quid on your Oyster Card, it won't matter so much if you select a station that you know for sure that you'll use sometime early on during your stay.

If you are flying into LHR and taking the tube into London, then the answer seems obvious. If using some other mode, then maybe the one closest to the hotel you are staying at? I don't see any reason to top off well in advance. Just do it the day before you leave.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
I go to London frequently and would like to top off my Oyster card through the website ahead of time, but the system makes you select a station where you will first use it. Since I'm never quite sure exactly which station I will use first, I haven't topped it off online. Anyone know if you are really bound to the station you choose?
Yes you are. You have 8 days to collect the credit by making a journey to or from the chosen station, otherwise it gets refunded.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Hmmm Interesting.

I suppose as long as you already have a few quid on your Oyster Card, it won't matter so much if you select a station that you know for sure that you'll use sometime early on during your stay.
This is a good point that you and a few others have noted. I hadn't quite thought it through but it makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.