Wiki Posts
Search

Oyster Card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
All I'll say is I've never run into one.
That's great, but does not mean issues do not happen for others.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:12 pm

Out of curiosity, similar situation for me coming up, and I've been debating the regular or visitor oyster card myself. I've been leaning towards a car service from LHR to our hotel, so I'm thinking that I'm not likely to be in a spot right away to buy an oyster card, and I'm guessing our first use might actually be on a bus from near our hotel to wherever we might be going from there. At least for this trip, I'm not thinking travelcard is going to be useful (from what I can tell, only the 7 day is where it really makes a difference from an oyster card?), so that restriction doesn't seem to be all that big of a deal for me. Not being able to refund it right there at the end of the trip would be somewhat annoying though too (although don't know if I'll get a chance to run by a ticket office and do that anyways).
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:15 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The advantage of a travelcard over Oyster is the standing set of 2-for-1 offers if you buy it from a National Rail station.

See http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:27 pm

You know, there is such misuse of the terminology that it gets tiresome to try to correct it.

An oyster card looks like a credit card and it is the same size as a credit card and you can put different things on it. One thing you can put on it is a 7 day travelcard for whatever specific zones you wish. For most people, they take very few trips out of zones 1 & 2 that even if arriving at Heathrow and intending to be in London for around a week, they purchase a 7 day trvelcard for zones 1 & 2 and this is embedded on the oyster card. To cover travel outside the indicated zone, every oyster card allows a payasyou go extra account so in this case you would also purchase something like £4.50 in payg to cover your trvel from Heathrow (zone 6) to the edge of zone 2...the price is indicated as an oyster zone 6-3 single and there are time of day differences. Clearly indicated on the tfl web site.

You can also go pure payg on oyster card if you're going to be in London for 4 days or less (actually for me 5 days works but I don't want to get into a nit picking argument with anybody). With payg, fares are deducted from your payg account as you enter and leave the system but are capped at the cost of a one day ticket (I think they re-instituted a small discount but I'm not sure). Again prices are listed on the tfl web site.

Now if you're going to be in London for less than 5 days or so, you can buy individual one day travelcards for the needed zone. Again there are slightly different prices depending on whether your trip starts before 0930 on a weekday (called peak) and the rest of the day (called non peak).

Now the national railroads issue their own travelcards for London. One day and seven days. They are issued on paper stock imprinted with an orange band and the national railway symbol. They are available at national rail offices. The 7 day requires a passport photo. You need ticket stock issued by the national railways for the infamous 2 4 1 discounts.

Bit it's not between travelcards and oyster cards. It's between media issued by tfl and media issued by the various national railway companies, the remnants from British Rail.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Remember that the payment for the Oyster card is a refundable deposit.

So if you are not planning to visit London again soon be sure to cash it in at a London Underground ticket office after your last tube trip.
But to do this you need to carefully monitor your balance. Only if the amount to refund is £10 or less (so £5 plus the deposit) per card can a refund be given straight away at the station. Any more and the refund will be by cheque posted to your address, which might not be very useful to visitors.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Travelling to Bath for 1 day

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
You know, there is such misuse of the terminology that it gets tiresome to try to correct it.

An oyster card looks like a credit card and it is the same size as a credit card and you can put different things on it. One thing you can put on it is a 7 day travelcard for whatever specific zones you wish. For most people, they take very few trips out of zones 1 & 2 that even if arriving at Heathrow and intending to be in London for around a week, they purchase a 7 day trvelcard for zones 1 & 2 and this is embedded on the oyster card. To cover travel outside the indicated zone, every oyster card allows a payasyou go extra account so in this case you would also purchase something like £4.50 in payg to cover your trvel from Heathrow (zone 6) to the edge of zone 2...the price is indicated as an oyster zone 6-3 single and there are time of day differences. Clearly indicated on the tfl web site.

You can also go pure payg on oyster card if you're going to be in London for 4 days or less (actually for me 5 days works but I don't want to get into a nit picking argument with anybody). With payg, fares are deducted from your payg account as you enter and leave the system but are capped at the cost of a one day ticket (I think they re-instituted a small discount but I'm not sure). Again prices are listed on the tfl web site.

Now if you're going to be in London for less than 5 days or so, you can buy individual one day travelcards for the needed zone. Again there are slightly different prices depending on whether your trip starts before 0930 on a weekday (called peak) and the rest of the day (called non peak).

Now the national railroads issue their own travelcards for London. One day and seven days. They are issued on paper stock imprinted with an orange band and the national railway symbol. They are available at national rail offices. The 7 day requires a passport photo. You need ticket stock issued by the national railways for the infamous 2 4 1 discounts.

Bit it's not between travelcards and oyster cards. It's between media issued by tfl and media issued by the various national railway companies, the remnants from British Rail.
I will be in london for 4 days and am travelling outside london to Bath for a day, is it cheaper for me to buy an Opal card and put the tickets on that or buy a pre-paid ticket for Bath now before I arrive in London. I will be in london in 3 weeks so its around 30 pound return to Bath.

Which website sells the best pre-paid tickets
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:08 am

The Oyster card is for travel in (and on routes immediately around) London only. This excludes Bath.

If you can commit to specific trains, then it is work pre-booking tickets to Bath. The best site to buy from is normally the train operator, in this case http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/ - you can then obtain the (paper) tickets from a ticket machine, using the same credit card, on arrival.

If you don't buy pre-pay tickets, the walk-up fare is £53.30, if you leave after 10:30am weekdays or any time at weekends (£67 after 08:30, £175 before that).
Old Jun 18, 2013, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Note that non-chip & PIN cards can't be used to collect tickets from the machines, so you would need to get them at the booking office, which can be time-consuming.

The cheapest single tickets from London to Bath Spa and vice-versa are £9.50 single, but these would normally need to be booked around 12 weeks ahead and aren't available on popular trains.

Not sure what an Opal card is.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:15 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stifle
Not sure what an Opal card is.
Sydney's Oyster / Octopus / Opus / Orca
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Sydney's Oyster / Octopus / Opus / Orca
Not forgetting Guernsey's Ormer...
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Not forgetting Guernsey's Ormer...
They have motorised transport in Guernsey ?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: QF, LM, AA,VA Silver, Qatar, Accor Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott B Plat
Thanks for your help.

Sorry guys I meant oyster, I got mixed up with Sydney opal.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I can confirm as of Monday, May 6, the machine at Heathrow T1/2/3 Station accepted two different US credit cards (one VI, one MC) without chips, buying each a £25 card (£20 value).
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Can I register an Oyster card without a UK address? I tried it a few days ago and it didn't like me using a US address. I am back in the USA with my Oyster Card. It only has a a few quid on it, but I understand it never expires. Hopefully, I'll return to London within a year or so.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
Can I register an Oyster card without a UK address? I tried it a few days ago and it didn't like me using a US address. I am back in the USA with my Oyster Card. It only has a a few quid on it, but I understand it never expires. Hopefully, I'll return to London within a year or so.
When I needed a UK address for a mobile phone account, I just entered my last hotel's address. Unless the Oyster card account contacts you by mail, maybe that approach would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.