Wiki Posts
Search

heathrow airport immigration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

heathrow airport immigration

Hi all,
I'm an Indian by birth holding an Indian passport. I plan to visit Ireland in March of 2013.I have already booked flights which connect through London Heathrow to Dublin from India.The Chennai-LHR is on Qatar airways( which lands in T4) and LHR-DUB in on Aer Lingus(departs T1).The connection time between flights is 2 hours

According to the UK Border agency , flights between the UK and the Republic of Ireland are treated as domestic flights as they are part of the common travel area(CTA). Thus, I will require to obtain a "C" category Visa (Tourist) for the United Kingdom even if I'm just transiting through the airport as I will be required to clear immigration at London.I believe holding an Indian passport does not entitle you to a "Transit without visa (TWOV)" for the UK.
The Heathrow airport website also says the same thing.That I will need to clear immigration in LHR( As this will be a Landside Transit).
Ireland has a visa waiver programme in which visa nationals (includes Indians) who have a valid UK visa (tourist/business) and have entered the UK can travel onward to Ireland without the need for a separate Irish visa.However , this requires that the passport be stamped by UK border control as proof of having entered the UK.
I want to know if I need to pass through immigration while transferring between T4 and T1 and if my passport will be stamped with a UK border stamp. Will this allow me to enter Ireland (without a separate Irish visa)though technically , I have only been in Heathrow airport?
I have tried going through the terminal maps ,bu I really havent been able to decipher them.
Anyone who has made the transfer from T4 to T1 please help!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
If you arrive in T4 and are connecting to a flight from Ireland out of T1, you will definitely go through immigration and will have your passport stamped. All Flight Connections destined for the UK and Ireland are channeled through UK immigration.

So the advice you have been given is correct - you will need a "C" category visa, have your passport stamped when you arrive in LHR and you will have a visa waiver for your stay in Ireland on this basis. When you arrive in Ireland your passport will probably be checked, and you may need to point out the UK stamp for them.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
After clearing immigration in T4, there's a free train transfer (Heathrow Express) to T1. I would be weary of making it in under two hours if you have to clear passport control, make it to T1, and then re-clear security for your DUB flight.

Anyone know what the MCT is for this routing?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.That clears up a lot! I guess a UK visa would be sufficient then.Also, the entire routing is on a single ticket issued by Qatar, so I guess they have taken MCT's into account.
Do I have to identify checked in bags in T1 or will they be routed all the way through to DUB? and, where does the immigration check take place, In T1 or T4?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Your bags will be checked all the way through - you won't see them until you arrive in DUB.

Immigration happens somewhere along the way - can't remember exactly which end of the journey through LHR. I think it's in T1 though. You don't get to choose a different course - once you're following the signs for Flight Connections and then UK / Ireland Flight Connections you are only going one way.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
After clearing immigration in T4, there's a free train transfer (Heathrow Express) to T1. I would be weary of making it in under two hours if you have to clear passport control, make it to T1, and then re-clear security for your DUB flight.

If you are transiting the UK then you shouldn't be going anywhere near the Heathrow Express. If you do then you've taken a wrong turn and lost yourself an hour

Here is the process for T4 International to T1 Ireland
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by alanR
If you are transiting the UK then you shouldn't be going anywhere near the Heathrow Express. If you do then you've taken a wrong turn and lost yourself an hour

As long as you have a C category visa you're fine.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by alanR

Thanks alanR!!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rwoman

In case I get held up in the immigration queues and miss the connecting flight to Dublin, will Aer Lingus book me on an alternative flight without charge. I ask this because the ticket is issued by Qatar airways and includes the Aer Lingus flight in the routing.Thanks again!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:33 am

You will clear immigration in T1 after transferring airside from T4-T1. Your passport (with the class C-VISIT visa) will be stamped by UK Immigration. You will then pass through security and transfer desks before entering the T1 domestic/Ireland departure lounge. Your biometrics will be captured at the security checkpoint. On arrival at Dublin, you will be examined again by Irish Immigration who will stamp you with a new permit for Ireland (your UK visa is valid for a stay of 180 days, but in most cases you may stay for a maximum of 90 days in Ireland under the visa-waiver program for qualified Indian citizens).

If your Qatar Airways flight is delayed and you are on a single ticket, you will be rebooked on the next Aer Lingus flight without penalty. Your baggage will be checked in from Chennai directly to Dublin and you will clear customs upon arrival in Dublin.

Good luck!
Old Nov 21, 2012, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:14 am

You may wish to check whether you can get a "C" category (Tourist) Visa to the United Kingdom as your final destination is Ireland.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:38 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Kris Rao
You may wish to check whether you can get a "C" category (Tourist) Visa to the United Kingdom as your final destination is Ireland.
As he is in transit to a country in the Common Travel Area, he HAS to get a UK visitor visa and is not eligible for a transit visa.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...rough-the-cta/

The UKBA seems to be aware that he can enter the ROI visa-free
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:06 am

CTA is not Schengen.

My understanding from reading the supporting documents and VAFIA forms is that the op will need to provide supporting documents for his visa.

For a UK vistor's visa, accommodation and travel details need to show that OP's final destination is UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...y/visitors.pdf

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/si...isas/vaf1a.pdf
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Kris Rao
CTA is not Schengen.

My understanding from reading the supporting documents and VAFIA forms is that the op will need to provide supporting documents for his visa.
Nobody mentioned Schengen.

From the page I linked:
Travelling to a Common Travel Area destination

If you are passing through the UK on your way to a destination in the Common Travel Area, you cannot transit airside and will need to enter the UK during your journey.

If you do not meet any of these requirements, you will need a visitor visa to pass through the UK.

If you are a national of certain countries and come to the UK with a general visitor visa, you may be able to travel on to the Republic of Ireland without having to apply for an Irish visa. You can find details of the Irish visa waiver scheme on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website.
In his application, he would provide proof of his upcoming trip to Ireland via the UK, which would get him the visa if done correctly.

If the OP was transiting to some other country, then he might get a visitor in transit visa, but this is not valid if he is in transit to somewhere in the CTA. Also, he would not be allowed to enter Ireland visa-free with a UK transit visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.