Community
Wiki Posts
Search

heathrow airport immigration

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
You can certainly enter Ireland from the UK without passing an immigration inspector. Just walk across the border.
Oh goodness me - how silly of me! Of course I was, of course, referring to air traffic. Thanks for catching me out.
I do not know why Heathrow does the immigration inspection + biometrics on DUB-destined transfer pax. It seems to me that there's no need for biometrics at the gate. I can see that biometrics could be necessary for UK-originating pax in case they changed their mind before boarding the aircraft and wished to exit the terminal. However it may be that part of the CTA agreement requires London to inspect passports for Irish-destined pax.
That's really what I'm wondering. I haven't the foggiest either but would be interested to know if anyone else does.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by desi
is there even one in billion cases where US passport holder has tried enter UK or Ireland illegally???
By the raw numbers, the US has consistently been in the top 10 countries of origin for immigration violators in the UK.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's horrible for the OP to queue for 2 hours at LHR, but I feel it's some form of payback for the appalling treatment everyone gets when arriving in the USA, where 2 hours is not at all abnormal. And the rudeness of the staff is legendary. Finally, if the OP had shouted at a US Immigration person, he'd have been arrested - in the UK it seems that by doing this he got another channel manned. Go figure.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
I do not know why Heathrow does the immigration inspection + biometrics on DUB-destined transfer pax. It seems to me that there's no need for biometrics at the gate.
To stop passengers with only transit clearance from boarding a flight and entering the CTA? (They may hold more than one boarding pass)
Originally Posted by B747-437B
By the raw numbers, the US has consistently been in the top 10 countries of origin for immigration violators in the UK.
For passengers who are refused entry, citizens of the USA are (by far) the largest nationality.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by big_mac
To stop passengers with only transit clearance from boarding a flight and entering the CTA? (They may hold more than one boarding pass)
How do they get into the CTA at DUB?

Bearing in mind DUB mixes all arriving passengers and does a passport check on UK-originating traffic.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:28 am

How do they get into the CTA at DUB?

Bearing in mind DUB mixes all arriving passengers and does a passport check on UK-originating traffic.
It does a check, but you don't need a passport if you're a UK, Irish or other CTA citizen.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mizter T
It does a check, but you don't need a passport if you're a UK, Irish or other CTA citizen.
Those are the only two possibilities for CTA citizens (well they can be both)

Nonetheless you still need some kind of ID in practise.

I still don't see how it is useful to have biometrics at the gate.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:55 am

The CTA also includes the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, none of which are part of the UK.

Driving licences are often used, but I know people who've simply declared "I'm British". Keeping hold of your boarding pass to show that you've come on a flight from the UK can be useful (though of course that doesn't prove you are a UK citizen).
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The CTA also includes the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, none of which are part of the UK.
But all the folks on them are British ("UK") citizens. Indeed in the past they were CUKCs, but at their objection they were allowed to call themselves "Citizens of the UK, Islands and Colonies" (CUKICs?), but this was exactly the same status. (BNA 1948 section 33) Anyway name was changed back to "British citizen" in 1981 to avoid this problem.

Although they can still get a fancy cover for their passports.

Driving licences are quite acceptable, but I know people who've simply declared "I'm British". Keeping hold of your boarding pass to show that you've come from the UK can be useful (though of course that doesn't prove you are a UK citizen).
Okay well, that does seem like a fair enough reason to do the whole immigration+biometrics at our end, if we think it's leaky at the Irish end.

Last edited by Calchas; Jun 24, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by big_mac
For passengers who are refused entry, citizens of the USA are (by far) the largest nationality.
What is the rate of rejections by nationality? i.e., not just the raw number of rejected passengers, but x rejections per y pax of z origin/citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.