Scottish currency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scottish currency

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by johnmcq
We'll be in Scotland late this summer before moving south to England.

I'm told that English merchants are very unwilling to accept Scottish pounds.

Does anyone have any experience here?
Spend all your Scottish Pounds on beer, whisky, haggis, and IrnBru before crossing the border. Problem solved.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Spend all your Scottish Pounds on beer, whisky, haggis, and IrnBru before crossing the border. Problem solved.
Or, as it's known locally, 'a meal deal'.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by alanR
No I mean legal, the only banknotes that are legal in England & Wales are those issued by the Bank of England. Anything else is just accepted (or in the case of Northern Ireland notes NOT accepted outside a few pubs in Glasgow)
As the Captain said above, they're not legal tender - not even in Scotland. Nor are Bank of England notes in Scotland. But they're are legal currency everywhere in the UK, and are authorised by an Act of Parliament.
There's some general information at http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php and the legal position at http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...rnireland.aspx

In practice, you won't have trouble spending Scottish notes in England, other than the relatively rare £1 notes.

I quite like using them to pay for rounds of drinks, because a barman is unlikely to take back a few pints once they've been poured - but it's been quite some time since anyone's actually tried to refuse to take one. Though I did once have to try to explain the person and the map on an old Clydesdale Bank £10 at the work canteen at 3am, when neither of us was really awake enough to comprehend it why there was a map of part of Nigeria on something Scottish.

Also, once someone's pointed out to you that the Exchange Building (click on the banknote on the second row on this page to see it) looks like a doner kebab, you really can't unsee it.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I never experienced a knock back in all the years I ventured across the border or even the few years I stayed in England. I remember the French used to give you a poorer rate when changing Scottish bank notes though.
Spotted this in Toronto a few years ago:

It's a bit hard to make out, but Scotland had a better rate listed than England!
Old May 22, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by alanR
No I mean legal, the only banknotes that are legal in England & Wales are those issued by the Bank of England. Anything else is just accepted (or in the case of Northern Ireland notes NOT accepted outside a few pubs in Glasgow)
No, in that case you do mean 'legal tender'.
Accepting them is perfectly 'legal'. I.e. it is not 'illegal' in any way.

As per teflons post above.
[N.b. I'd be making a complaint about the flag used for England in addition to the rate differential.]
nancypants likes this.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Or, as it's known locally, 'a meal deal'.
Old May 22, 2012, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mad_rich
I'd imagine that they're a bit more common in and around Stranraer (where the ferry from Belfast arrives in Scotland) and such places.
They are difficult to spend in Scotland where you might think they would be used to a variety of notes. I remember the story a professor at the University of Ulster told me - he was in Glasgow and offered to pay a bill with a £10 Bank of Ireland note, but they wouldn't accept it. He found a Bank of England note in his wallet. In turn he refused a £5 Bank of Scotland note as part of his change explaining that, 'You wouldn't take one of mine so why should I take one of yours?'
Old May 23, 2012, 10:49 am

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
As someone originally from Northern Ireland but who works in Scotland and England, I am fairly militant about this. I normally just threaten to walk out of the said shop/establishment if they refuse accept payment with a N Ireland (or less frequently, Scottish) banknote, in 7.5 years of doing this I've only actually had to leave once, in all the other circumstances the cashier has relented.

If you're less brave than I am, try the Self Service checkouts in any major supermarket which generally accept all Sterling banknotes without question. Alternatively, the nearest post office will exchange Scottish/NI banknotes.
Old May 24, 2012, 2:01 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
Alternatively, the nearest post office will exchange Scottish/NI banknotes.
I did once pay with a Scottish note in a London Post Office. The cashier turned to his colleague, held up the note, and asked "what is this - is it Welsh?"
Old May 24, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA
It is the case that Northern Ireland notes are more likely to be seen suspiciously, especially those from First Trust who have only been doing them for a few years and many have never heard of them.

I believe the Royal Bank in Scotland still does a £1 paper note, which is particularly difficult to get rid of in England where this value has for long only been a coin.

There are also Isle of Man and Channel Island notes, which are even more of a challenge in smaller shops.

In Northern Ireland there was an extremely large robbery of Northern Bank notes some years ago, big enough to cause the bank to withdraw rapidly all in circulation and issue a new and different design, and as in the UK they were rare anyway those were particularly difficult to get rid of, as people were not familiar with what was old (which were all officially cancelled) and what was new.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
RBS withdrew the £1 note a while back - they seemed to ship most of them to Orkney and Shetland when they were still in circulation.

I haven't seen a £1 note in circulation up here for 3-4 years - and the last time was on the northern isles.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
As someone originally from Northern Ireland but who works in Scotland and England, I am fairly militant about this. I normally just threaten to walk out of the said shop/establishment if they refuse accept payment with a N Ireland (or less frequently, Scottish) banknote, in 7.5 years of doing this I've only actually had to leave once, in all the other circumstances the cashier has relented.

If you're less brave than I am, try the Self Service checkouts in any major supermarket which generally accept all Sterling banknotes without question. Alternatively, the nearest post office will exchange Scottish/NI banknotes.
Interestingly, I went to a Nat West in Skipton (I think it was Skipton - somewhere nearby anyway). I asked for a Scottish note and the manager refused to give any to me. He said that no bank in England was permitted to give its customers Scottish notes. Any that they got, they had to return to the issuing bank. Who knew?
Old May 25, 2012, 4:36 pm

I have once received by mistake a few Scottish notes in an ATM withdrawal from the Nationwide in England.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:20 pm

It is the case that Northern Ireland notes are more likely to be seen suspiciously, especially those from First Trust who have only been doing them for a few years and many have never heard of them.
One wonders what they will make of the rebranding of Northern Bank as Danske Bank!
Old May 26, 2012, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by ajax
Interestingly, I went to a Nat West in Skipton (I think it was Skipton - somewhere nearby anyway). I asked for a Scottish note and the manager refused to give any to me. He said that no bank in England was permitted to give its customers Scottish notes. Any that they got, they had to return to the issuing bank. Who knew?
I suppose makes sense, because England does have legal tender and they are not legal tender - only honoured promissary notes.
Old May 26, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by gaelflyer
One wonders what they will make of the rebranding of Northern Bank as Danske Bank!
This does seem an extraordinary rebranding of a long-established and well-known business name for a meaningless and unknown new one. Is it connected with the notoriety from the large robbery some years ago, universally known as "the Northern Bank Robbery" ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.