Jersey named British 'staycation' destination of choice

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

Wanderlust: Jersey named British 'staycation' destination of choice

Fuel prices always seem to keep me away...but I've heard some great things about Bournemouth!

Expedia's annual Beach Report has declared Jersey is home to the best beaches in Britain with more Brits flocking there than any other destination in the British Isles. The Channel Islands beat off competition from Bournemouth, Blackpool and Torquay, based on hotel bookings for seaside destinations so far this summer.

The report shows that in the economic downturn, Brits are staying closer to home. Expedia's Andrew Warner commented that this: “is certainly a positive sign for the UK tourism.” However, Mediterranean hotspots still take pole position in the stakes for most popular beach destinations worldwide.

Of the top 20 worldwide destinations, only two non-European destinations featured: Morocco and Florida. Expedia attributes this to evidence of Brits looking to cut the cost of their summer breaks.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere

I'll let someone else be the pedant this time...

But I'll also say how much I enjoyed a trip to Sark.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:03 am

Depends if you mean geographically or politically.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by alanR
Depends if you mean geographically or politically.
One can be a pedant on both counts...!
Old May 28, 2012, 2:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
To give a fuller answer now I'm not posting from an iPhone while eating breakfast...

The debate about the CI being part of Britain aside, I did have a holiday in the Channel Islands a couple of yeas ago and really enjoyed it, despite the weather not being as promised (so it does have something in common with Britain...)

In Jersey itself, I found St Helier, and particularly it's waterfront, incredibly disappointing, save for a couple of squares, the market, and the amphibious craft over to Fort Elizabeth. However, St Aubin and St Brelade (and the railway foot/cycle path that runs between all three) more than make up for it - beautiful seaside towns, with rather lovely beaches.

Each side of the island has its own character, and it is a pleasure to slowly work your way around. An additional layer of interest is the wartime history. There are underground hospitals in both Jersey and Guernsey - the former made into a very thought-provoking museum, the last left as it was - providing, as is suggested by the exhibits, an insight into how Britain could have been under Nazi occupation.

Guernsey felt very different to Jersey. You could be forgiven, at first sight, for thinking that the entire island is built up - and it's true that most of the roads you travel down are. But the beauty of the inland here is in the network of ruettes tranquilles - country lanes, mostly absent of motorised traffic, opening up into almost hidden fields.

St Peter Port is a little gem of a town, set around a huge marina, clinging to a hillside. Some good food to be had here, too. Again, the island's different sides have their distinctive character - the wild west coast has sunk many ships, but the vast tidal range reveals some impressive beaches. The south is all cliffs and coves - great walking if you're feeling energetic.

For me, though, Sark was the favourite. It's quite hard to describe. The whole island seems perched on the top of a rock, in the middle of nowhere. There no cars, just bikes and tractors and, even with the crowds off the boats, every one quickly dissipates and you are left with utter silence, apart from the distant sound of the sea. The star sight here is the coupée, a sheer, narrow isthmus linking the two halves of the island.

See it now before a couple of arrogant billionaires turn the place into their tacky, privately-run resort...
Old May 28, 2012, 6:44 am

Wonderful photographs, stut!

Regarding the status of the Channel Islands, including Jersey, they're clearly not part of the United Kingdom. Whether or not they can be called "British" is a bit more doubtful, since "British" is inherently a somewhat vague term. I suppose it's not unreasonable to call them British if one is speaking in general terms (e.g. with regard to tourism, as in this thread).
Old May 28, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Great pictures Stut, brings back a few memories - family holiday to Jersey and a school camping trip to Guernsey. Both great trips, apart from the terrible bikes the school hired on Sark which resulted in several people coming home with fractures (I imagine this bit of the trip has been replaced by something less dangerous). The Channel Islands are lovely and well worth a visit (and not just by way of a TP run, stay a few days)
Old May 28, 2012, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To be honest Sark aside I found the Channel Islands (few days in Guernsey and one day in Jersey) rather disappointing. I have a brother who lives in Guernsey and I haven't been in any rush to go back since my first visit nearly 20 years ago.
Nice for a first visit but I felt I saw everything I wanted to see after a couple of days.

I should add....I found my old air ticket recently. It cost me £140 back then from GLA via LGW.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Christopher
Whether or not they can be called "British" is a bit more doubtful, since "British" is inherently a somewhat vague term.
Only if one is looking for a singular definition, all the definitions are precise.

However, there is one definition that is dominant both legally and in practical usage, and that is of pertaining to the British crown/identity. [

And not necessarily the land called (Great) Britain or the political country the UK, etc. Being British is now something that is greater (in scope, I'm not being arrogant) than just the United Kingdom (let alone the geographical place Great Britain).

This is something some people fail to understand, when people of small 'British' places that are not part of the UK say they are 'British', they are not saying they are 'UKers', nor are they saying they are UK-linked persons, etc. They are saying they are 'British' (remove any geographical association) and Xers (whereever X may be), in the same way as they see people of the UK as being 'British and from the UK'.

I hope that makes sense.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by David-A
Only if one is looking for a singular definition, all the definitions are precise.

However, there is one definition that is dominant both legally and in practical usage, and that is of pertaining to the British crown/identity. [

And not necessarily the land called (Great) Britain or the political country the UK, etc. Being British is now something that is greater (in scope, I'm not being arrogant) than just the United Kingdom (let alone the geographical place Great Britain).

This is something some people fail to understand, when people of small 'British' places that are not part of the UK say they are 'British', they are not saying they are 'UKers', nor are they saying they are UK-linked persons, etc. They are saying they are 'British' (remove any geographical association) and Xers (whereever X may be), in the same way as they see people of the UK as being 'British and from the UK'.

I hope that makes sense.
It makes perfect sense to me, since what you way is what I was driving at, really.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Of course the pedants have been so busy picking over whether Jersey's part of the British Isles or whatnot, that they've missed the fact that a staycation is where you stay at home and go places for the day, whilst a nearcation is a vacation at a location relatively close to home.

Fact is, if you're not on the south coast to start with you're going to be paying ball-park £100 per person to just get to the Channel Islands however you cut it, and that's a lot of day trips to the zoo!

Last edited by Swiss Tony; May 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm
Old May 29, 2012, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Fact is, if you're not on the south coast to start with you're going to be paying ball-park £100 per person to just get to the Channel Islands however you cut it, and that's a lot of day trips to the zoo!
It's cheaper to get a last minute package somewhere and you could be in your hotel drinking and sunning yourself before you even reached the south coast.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Indeed.

That's one reason why I never returned to Guernsey even though the accommodation was free. The cost to get there from GLA was extortionate. When one could fly cheaper to almost anywhere in Europe I'm afraid the Channel Islands just didn't come into the reckoning.

So I used to tell my brother to fly to us instead.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Don't get me wrong - my first flight was on a BEA Viscount, LHR-Guernsey. I've been back a few times since for weekends, and had a great time, both on the island and also staying on Herm, but now we're a family of 5, the Channel Islands means £500 on flights and a couple of hundred on a car rental big enough to fit us all in.

We're taking the kids to stay on a farm in the peak district this summer - it's a 2hr drive and £400 for the cottage for a week. Comes with all-you-can-eat eggs, straight from the chicken too!
Old May 29, 2012, 2:06 pm

My sisters family usually drive down to Southampton from Lancashire and catch the Flybe flight to GCI from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.