Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by oscietra
While I'd certainly entertain other options, a Thames Hub can provide an INTEGRATED solution.

I do think we should at least acknowledge Heathrow's drawbacks openly, and give due consideration to alternatives, even if they may seem "adventurous".

I never said LHR was in a perfect place. As I said, there will be arguments against many if not most major airports out there.

What I am saying is that the tradeoff isn't nearly as sweet as some make out.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I wish I could put a bet on Boris Island never happening.

In fact I think it is making him look like a bit of a maverick and doing him a lot of damage as it really does seem that he is obsessed with an idea that looks completely impossible for many different reasons; birds, infrastructure, lack of airline willingness etc.etc.

The latest think tank is suggesting putting 4 new LHR runways near the M25 and putting some of the motorway in a tunnel underneath and moving a reservoir. Although that sounds expensive, it's probably a lot cheaper than Boris Island and in the right place at least!
I had a chat recently with someone from the political arena on the tube during a delay, who was on his way to Heathrow. He said that LHR was the choice most politicians didn't want to have to name, but is their preferred choice. The reason for their refusal was the damage to their majority that it would cause. If they could support it annonymously they would do so.

So unless Boris becomes PM....... or should that be
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Reason077
Don't forget that it would be upwards of £9bn just for a 3rd runway and T6, which offer far fewer benefits. So a new airport, while expensive, is not so bad once you put it in context.
Well relocating the 80,000 LHR peeps Littlegirl mentions to work at Boris Island works out at around £8bn (@£100,000 per person) and that ignores the cost of company relocations.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR would be lovely if it wasn't situated right next to London meaning it bathes the city in pollution, noise and has a mandatory closure from midnight to 6am - which means for every four runways you build at Heathrow, you need only build three to deliver the same capacity at an Estuary Airport, as you effectively lose a full days' slots by building at LHR.

I do think we should at least acknowledge Heathrow's drawbacks openly, and give due consideration to alternatives, even if they may seem "adventurous".
Yes except that the approaches to Boris Island would be over London. And that's not my opinion the head of NATS Mr Deakins said it, if anyone should know where the flights would be going it's him you'd have thought.

To quote the man:
Originally Posted by Head of NATS - Mr Deakins
"The very worst spot you could put an airport is just about here. We're a little surprised that none of the architects thought it worthwhile to have a little chat"

Last edited by Jimmie76; Oct 10, 2012 at 9:03 am
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Watching the tv show on Sunday night, Built in Britian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ain_Episode_1/

It would appear that Mr Walsh is slightly changing his tune to the next or the new airport. He still wants runway 3. Well he cant really change his mind on that one. However he was or appears to be willing to be open to a new airport.

As Ryanair is out of purchasing Stansted maybe its time to develop that airport at least for the short term. Include the High speed rail to go past its door, then onto LHR and BHX. Ofcourse back into London as well.

Air travel is increasing, the UK needs to be part of a future world. If we keep going at this rate, farmers in China will be sending us money.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Well relocating the 80,000 LHR peeps Littlegirl mentions to work at Boris Island works out at around £8bn (@£100,000 per person) and that ignores the cost of company relocations.
Mr Moylan accepted his plan would involve billions of pounds of compensation for Heathrow owner BAA, as well as airlines forcibly relocated, with industry experts believing the bill could easily reach £15bn

I was only on here quickly over the weekend. My post didnt include all the comments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19451615-post599.html
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by origin
I was only on here quickly over the weekend. My post didnt include all the comments.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19451615-post599.html
Reading that article from the Torygraph they quote Mr Moylan as saying that Boris Island will cost £50bn, so we've lost £10bn somewhere already .
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
Reading that article from the Torygraph they quote Mr Moylan as saying that Boris Island will cost £50bn, so we've lost £10bn somewhere already .
It doesn't really matter what it costs - within reason.

It's not like welfare or that daft Dome; this is a productive asset, which not only will generate income itself, but also will add many multiples of its cost in growth and tax income to the Exchequer. £10bn here or there isn't really the issue.

I'm sure there will still be a few flights over London, but dramatically fewer than is the case currently, and the majority will approach from over the sea, and be able to turn in time to avoid the densest populations in Central London.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

I believe Thames Estuary Airport is the way to go.

LHR is in a silly place.

And BHX being a hub is just a pipe dream of the owner.

A 'central UK' hub in Yorkshire or somewhere is also a silly idea.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy

Why do you think that the BHX airport is not a good idea or event?

If or when the high speed rail is in service, it will go straight to BHX from London. It has all major roads of most of the UK. It is in the middle of the country to help everyone. Has plenty of staff to help run and work in the airport.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:00 am

I believe Thames Estuary Airport is the way to go.
Why? See the comments about the costs of moving everyone and everything associated with London 50 miles to the east. Then you have £15 billion of transport infrastructure build which will exists PURELY to serve the airport. Add to that the further concentration of economic life in the SE (which even the SE locals would moan about) and it rapidly becomes obvious that an estuary airport is a non-starter before you even get to the European wide air traffic changes that would be needed or the embarrassment of having repeated emergency landings (or worse) due to bird strikes.

LHR is in a silly place.
No-one disagrees with that - but it's there and it's a case of making the best of a bad lot

It would be as easy to reach as an Estuary airport for most of the people who would use it

Can't recall anyone suggesting it - but if the purpose of the Hub airport was just to facilitate connecting passengers then it wouldn't matter where the airport was, it could even be in the Shetlands
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:14 am

What is to stop a 3rd/4th runway being built over/just to the West of the M25, lined up North to South? Aircraft would be approaching from the North/taking off towards the North ie well out of the way of the current runways, and there is about 10 miles of green belt up there with noone to complain about noise until the aircraft are already high up out of the way.

Plenty of other airports operate multiple runways facing in different directions, and the biggest obstacle to a 3rd runway right now is the people who live East and West of it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't really matter what it costs - within reason.

It's not like welfare or that daft Dome; this is a productive asset, which not only will generate income itself, but also will add many multiples of its cost in growth and tax income to the Exchequer. £10bn here or there isn't really the issue.
It is when it's my money that they're talking about especially when the cost could reach £100bn, which is possible given the likelihood of of cost overruns on a project like this. Also given global warming and the rising tides aren't we tempting fate by sticking this thing right on the coast (not to mention the birds)? The Dome has actually been a success story for the firm that bought it, it just wasn't for the public purse.

I'm sure there will still be a few flights over London, but dramatically fewer than is the case currently, and the majority will approach from over the sea, and be able to turn in time to avoid the densest populations in Central London.
Well you clearly know more than the head of NATS (NATS Holdings Limited aka National Air Traffic Services) who thinks it's the worst place to put an airport, and that the approaches would be over London.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
It would be as easy to reach as an Estuary airport for most of the people who would use it
In my article, they said the would keep LHR open for Londoners to use point to point. As many people travel by train from Manchester area and by plane in from local Uk, why would being in Birmingham matter.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by origin
In my article, they said the would keep LHR open for Londoners to use point to point. As many people travel by train from Manchester area and by plane in from local Uk, why would being in Birmingham matter.
Birmingham is nearer to Manchester than an Estuary airport. And I can't see why LHR would be kept open for Londoners if an Estuary airport opened as many of the point to point destinations are also used by people connecting so you'd split the passenger load thus requiring more aircraft and crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.