Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conservative party admits wrong on Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Is aircraft noise really that significant in London? I found road traffic noise a greater inconvenience.

Perhaps I've become immune, having spent roughly 40 years either living/working in London and/or the traffic patterns of LHR.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
How about Milton Keynes, the locals like any form of recognition, the rest of the UK don't care about it and however big you make the airport, it will not significantly increase the amount of concrete in the area.
Have you been there??

Also BHX is only 1 hour away. Its sort of set up as an airport, which helps in the first place. They even have a runway, working!!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

David Cameron and Nick Clegg are set to intervene in the increasingly fractious row over whether Heathrow should have a third runway by asking an independent commission to review the future of Britain’s airports.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/45a7ce7c-f...#axzz25DS2NqdZ
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by alanR
Because of all the flights over London - which would increase if more runways were added to LHR.
So just becquse I'm curious, what is your solution if we don't have Boris Island because as you and Mr Deakins (If you have four runways in the Thames Estuary, the approach and departure pattern would be right over the middle of London) head of NATS say it will increase flights over London. You've ruled out LHR3 so what is the solution?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:59 am
Suspended

Oh also another thing that makes me laugh over this issue is the hypocrisy of Zac Goldsmith. If he was really passionate about ending flights and the environment he would not jet off to Barbados on holiday would he?

Last edited by flyingcrazy; Sep 1, 2012 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
Oh also another thing that makes laugh over this issue is the hypocracy of Zac Goldsmith. If he was really passionate about ending flights and the environment he would not jet off to Barbados on holiday would he?
BA fly there from LGW, so it wouldnt affect LHR!
Old Sep 1, 2012, 8:17 pm

i cant read that article, but to be completed after May 2015 i assume?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...w-8100772.html

A world-leading infrastructure firm is assessing sites to the west and north-west of London which could rival, or even replace, Heathrow to challenge other European hubs in providing air links with the Far East. Sites in Oxfordshire and Berkshire could potentially be in the frame for the airport, estimated to cost £40bn to £60bn
Old Sep 2, 2012, 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
So just becquse I'm curious, what is your solution if we don't have Boris Island because as you and Mr Deakins (If you have four runways in the Thames Estuary, the approach and departure pattern would be right over the middle of London) head of NATS say it will increase flights over London. You've ruled out LHR3 so what is the solution?
Estuary International is out because of the massive amount of infrastructure that would be needed to support it - imagine what the east side of London would be like with normal rush hour traffic AND Heathrow traffic converging on it.

As for a solution - tricky as all proposals to date have massive negatives, even a new airport somewhere where people wanted it would have problems as the existing airport owners would go to court and tie the whole project up in knots.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Estuary International is out because of the massive amount of infrastructure that would be needed to support it - imagine what the east side of London would be like with normal rush hour traffic AND Heathrow traffic converging on it.

As for a solution - tricky as all proposals to date have massive negatives, even a new airport somewhere where people wanted it would have problems as the existing airport owners would go to court and tie the whole project up in knots.
The only option to expand is BHX. Yo can get flights into the airport with out upsetting the LON airports. I heard in the past few months that LTN wanted to expand more, but couldnt because of the flight path and LHR.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
My view exactly. Dumping 4/6 runways in the middle of nowhere solves nothing. Extensive [really extensive] road/rail connections would be needed.

And … where do all the airport employees live? Where's the local housing? Or do they all have to commute daily into the wilderness?
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:34 am

You also have to take into account major companies - Microsoft, Oracle, etc - that are based to the west of London because of the presence of Heathrow. Do you really think they'd want to relocate to the other side of London or spend two hours more getting to Estuary Airport.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Is aircraft noise really that significant in London? I found road traffic noise a greater inconvenience.
In residential areas specially outside of central London traffic noise isn't that much of a problem. Just look at the housing you pass over as you fly into Heathrow
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:11 am
Suspended

Well it appears some Chinese backed businessmen want to build 'Heathrow West' with four runways. They have already contracted some American firm to find large flat lowly populated areas of Berkshire and Oxfordshire for its location.

Why not just add 3 large new runways to Luton????
Old Sep 2, 2012, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In residential areas specially outside of central London traffic noise isn't that much of a problem. Just look at the housing you pass over as you fly into Heathrow
You do notice it!! I would just like to point out. Okay some days more than others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.