Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas and New Years in London?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Christmas and New Years in London?

This year for the first time I will be spending Christmas and New Years in London. I have heard that Dec 25, Dec 26 (Boxing Day) and Jan 1 most everything will be closed restaurants/attractions. I would appreciate some ideas on things to do on those days from others who have been there for the Holidays or live in the UK. I will stock up on food as needed in advance of this.

Thanks
Robert
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Things might not be as closed as you might expect. Yes, on Christmas Day, almost all tourist attractions will be shut, and there's no public transport - but you shouldn't let that stop you going and exploring!

Wander around and take some photos of a deserted city - you don't get many chances to see London looking like that. The Cycle Hire scheme will be very much open for business, so take out a Boris Bike (£1 for the whole day if each of your journeys last under 30 minutes) and enjoy the empty streets.

You could go to a Christmas service at St Paul's Cathedral, and last year at least one museum was open: the Charles Dickens Museum. You'd also be able to get a good meal somewhere - something Middle Eastern around Edgware Road, or a damn good curry on Brick Lane.

Things start ramping up again on Boxing Day, though not all attractions will be open. There are a few general guides online (such as this one from Time Out); and most places' websites will probably say on their website if they're open on the 26th.

And of course, if you have nothing better to do, you could start queuing outside Selfridges in the middle of the night - their sale opens at 9am!

New Year's Day will be much like Boxing Day, though don't expect too much to be open in the morning. Public transport runs through the night on New Year's Eve (and is normally free from midnight till 4am), though there's a limited service between around 4am and 10am.
You could go and watch the New Year's Day Parade - I've no idea if it's any good though, because I've never been up early enough!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by teflon
New Year's Day will be much like Boxing Day, though don't expect too much to be open in the morning.
New Year's Day is a Sunday so shops will be keeping Sunday hours (10 to 4 or 10.30 to 4.30)

And with Christmas Day falling on a Sunday it is possible that fewer things will be open on Boxing Day - I remember this was the case last time Christmas Day fell on a Sunday, though things may be different this time as the world has moved on since then.

There will be two additional Bank Holidays this year, on 27 December and 2 January.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by teflon
You could go and watch the New Year's Day Parade - I've no idea if it's any good though, because I've never been up early enough!
The parade is decent - lots of marching bands, charities, cars, and some of the big balloons. One of my nieces performed with one of the bands from California last year. It can get crowded along the route, although we found a good spot up on Piccadilly near the start of the parade route.

Old Oct 30, 2011, 7:49 am

Watch the Peter Pan Cup as members of the Serpentine Swimming Club take a dip at 9am on Christmas day.

Bunch of nutters!!!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Take a wander around the main shops, harrods etc. They often have nice displays if you are into that sort of thing.

More importantly do enjoy your trip and stay in London. Everyone will be happy (or drunk). Normally very friendly.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: BA bronze card, NHS Blood Donor silver card
Originally Posted by origin
Take a wander around the main shops, harrods etc. They often have nice displays if you are into that sort of thing.
The big department stores on Oxford Street appear to have put up their Christmas window displays last night - while cycling to work this morning, I think I might have seen the first set of tourists posing for photos in front of Selfridges. This was at about quarter past 7!
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Christmas Day - as noted above - will be incredibly dead. Depending on where you are staying the period from there through to the New Year can either be deserted - City, lots of residential areas - or like the West End heaving with tourist hordes. Plenty of the good restaurants and bars also close during this period leaving you with a less than inspiring selection of dining places.

Haven't spent NY in London for at least 12 years and no plans to start either.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It's quiet, but most things do function between Christmas and New Year. Christmas Day is difficult - almost nothing open, a few Lebanese restaurants on Edgware Road and Indian places around Whitechapel, plus a scattering of convenience stores, although most pubs DO open.

After that, though, it is pretty much business as usual although many stores close Boxing Day (but many others start their sales). In the business areas a lot of restaurants and snack bars will close but you are unlikely to be in those areas anyway.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Even most of the Chinese restaurants in Chinatown will be shut on Christmas Day. Life does restart on Boxing Day. Christmas Day will require walking around unless you have a car. Public transport does run on Boxing Day and 1 Jan

On 1 Jan, there is a big parade through London with loads of American and UK school bands taking part - in the style of the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade (probably not as good). Definitely worth watching.

Many department stores will be opened on Boxing Days and New Year's Day with the sales going on.

Which part of London will be staying at?

I cannot remember the last time I was in London on Christmas Day (much less in the UK). Most local people escape to sunnier climates or families outside London.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
I am working on a place to stay right now. Trying to see if I rent a flat and not break the bank, instead of a hotel room. I live in South Florida so maybe the Brits will be visiting where I live (75-80 degree weather) While I can feel a change of seasons in the UK and hope for decent weather.

Rob
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I reckon if you shop around you'll find some bargains in the business oriented hotels. They can usually sell out with the corporate trade but in peak holiday times they struggle to shift their market to pick up enough leisure traffic. Have typically got the Crowne Plaza in the City for £100/nt in August & late December. Another chain to try would be Apex.

It is a strange time however - in almost 20 years I've only had to work the intervening period once and even then it was a case of catching up on admin then I recall we defrosted the fridge in the office kitchen and were still ready to bugger off down the pub by 2pm.

You'll see an atypical London if you visit over Christmas. If you haven't been before and don't like it, don't let it put you off, but the reality is it's a time when a lot of Londoners - like many others in the UK - move around the country (or even world) to be with their families or just somewhere else. The short working week (2.5 days for most) between Christmas & New Year encourages people to take the whole gamut off - this year you get 10.5 days off for just 2.5 days of holiday.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 2:55 am
uk1
Suspended

If such things are of interest the mornings of New Year period are a pretty lovely time to get up quite early whilst everyone else is in bed and to wander around London at a time when most are still snoring.

If you want a get a little of what antiquated or Dickensian London may have felt like then you may head down to The Temple area where many of the legal fraternity have their offices and some still live. It's the photogenic walled / gated city within the City that is often used on films. Get yourself a map and head to the Strand where there are entrances in. Old gas lights and squares - very atmospheric.

Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
I would imagine certain parts of North London like Golders Green would be open for business as usual too as most businesses are Jewish.
If sticking to more central this link may be useful -but I'd definitely book and not risk a walk up which I think would be nearly impossible http://golondon.about.com/od/christm...Day-Dining.htm

Last edited by duchy; Oct 31, 2011 at 3:09 am
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
If you want to go to a West End show, tickets are usually available for this peroid too without having to break the bank. Best booking as far in advance as you can though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.