Wiki Posts
Search

OVERSTAYED in UK as Student

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

OVERSTAYED in UK as Student

Hi all,

I overstayed my UK student Visa for a month or two months. which was unintentional soon i knew my visa expired i volunteerly left the country[UK]. Since then i have several questions such as
1. If i apply for a US visa will this affect my travel.
2. will my passport be red flagged.
3. How can i clear this off my record.
4. Can i travel back to UK.

Please help me appropriate answers . Thanks a ton.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:56 am

It is possible that your overstaying didn't get noticed or recorded because the UK has no formal exit controls (though there are spot checks, especially at LHR). Do you remember if you went through an Immigration check when you left the country? (I mean a proper checkpoint - not airline staff checking your passport)

As for your specific questions - you really need expert advice. You may get this here (as we do have some experts on Flyertalk), but you can't rely on anything people tell you here being accurate. Your best bet will be to talk to an Immigration lawyer.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by dineshpamteninc
Hi all,

I overstayed my UK student Visa for a month or two months. which was unintentional soon i knew my visa expired i volunteerly left the country[UK]. Since then i have several questions such as

Please help me appropriate answers . Thanks a ton.
Hi and welcome to FT.

Like Aviatrix says, there is a good chance it didn't get noticed, especially if you weren't checked when leaving LHR.

Are you aware of anyone at immigration control noticing your overstay?

As regards your final question about returning to the UK, it also depends on the visa under which you would wish to return to the UK. Would it be to visit or to live? It depends, but, again, your overstay probably wasn't noticed anyway and thus your application might not be affected as badly as you fear.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there no API transmission requirements for all international flights into/out of the UK nowadays and can that data not be used for immigration control purposes (such as identifying overstays)?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Are there no API transmission requirements for all international flights into/out of the UK nowadays and can that data not be used for immigration control purposes (such as identifying overstays)?
E-Borders is more than capable of flagging this. Depending when the violation occurred however (both entry and exit would need to have been logged by E-Borders or its Beta predecessor, Project Semaphore, for this to be flagged), there is a strong likelihood that it will have gone undetected.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by B747-437B
E-Borders is more than capable of flagging this. Depending when the violation occurred however (both entry and exit would need to have been logged by E-Borders or its Beta predecessor, Project Semaphore, for this to be flagged), there is a strong likelihood that it will have gone undetected.
I did wonder about e-borders but thought that this violation might have occurred (at least the entry part) long before its time.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Hi all,

I can't see how it would. The US and UK immigration systems are not, to my knowledge, linked.
Possibly.
You would need to speak to a British Embassy.
Yes, but you may get detained at immigration and possibly turned away. It depends on whether their systems are joined-up enough to realise you overstayed.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: BA
You have not registered here on FT in which country you live. The attitude of the UKBA depends on their past experience by country, which have very different histories of malicious overstays.

Many people leave the UK by ship/Eurostar, or even overland from Belfast to Dublin, where API passport details are not recorded, so do not worry that there is complete recording of departures.

If you are concerned just apply for a tourist visa to come to the UK for a short holiday. Then you will see the reaction. If you haven't had a letter from them, I doubt they have noticed anything.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
A lot will depend on your current status and how long ago this event was.
If you are unemployed and this event was very recent; there will be issues.

If have been in steady employment with a decent salary that enables you to travel overseas for holidays and this even was a long time ago, then you can make a case for changed circumstances.

Immigration is concerned about you looking for employment and ignoring your visitors visa. How can you show evidence to mitigate their concerns and not reoffend? Taking a pure guess by looking at your FT handle, you may also have to counter the concerns that other visitors from your country regularly over-stay their visas; not your fault but a regular pattern builds concerns for immigration.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:40 pm

Hi

I was a student in UK. I applied for my visa extention. Unluckily I got refused and Home office retained my passport and told to leave the country. But I could not leave as girlfriend didn't allowed me to. So I over stayed 3 years. After we broke up I came back to my country. on my own expense. Now I got a job in austrailia and I am gonna apply for a visa. I gonna face any problem for my overstay in UK? Worried plz help?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:41 pm

Help

Somebody ans me plz
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Your post isn't easy to understand. If the question is "will overstaying in the UK affect my visa application for Australia?" the answer is "probably not". Don't expect to get back to the UK though.

Did you report your girlfriend to the police for not allowing you to leave?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Please just talk to a qualified lawyer well versed in Australian Immigration law.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Ravindraravi
But I could not leave as girlfriend didn't allowed me to.

Suggest you don't put that down as an excuse.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Did you report your girlfriend to the police for not allowing you to leave?
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.