Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gyms in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Gyms in Edinburgh

It's January and I'm thinking of doing the time honoured thing of joining a gym, only to not use it by March.

I live in Leith, so my two closest choices are David Lloyd or the local council facility at the Victoria swim centre. I don't think my landlord would like it if I remortgaged the flat to join the David Lloyd place, and I can't say I'm enthused about the other.

So anyone any recommendations for gyms (or other exercise options) which are handy for Leith? The Virgin gym in OMNI seems a possibility (if only I could leverage miles.. but I'd like to hear if we have any other users on the board before committing to a sales pitch - i mean tour).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:24 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by Jenbel
The Virgin gym in OMNI seems a possibility
Don't you need a minimum post count before you can join?

I can't speak for Edinburgh, but I used to be a member of a Virgin gym in London (subsidised through work) and wasn't that impressed. They did have BBC News on the screens, but inaudible above the standard thumping techno music these places seem to insist on. While the place was pleasant enough, the bulk of the equipment seemed to consist of treadmills and exercise bikes.

So I took up walking and cycling instead. Saved me a fortune. Well, once I actually managed to cancel the membership.

I'm not sure if this says more about Virgin gyms or my own attitude about exercise, though, but there you go.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:04 am

Save your money and walk up Leith Walk to the Omni Centre, then turn round and go back home
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by alanR
Save your money and walk up Leith Walk to the Omni Centre, then turn round and go back home
Have you seen what the weather has been like recently?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Have you seen what the weather has been like recently?
Yes - I live there
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Calling resident Edinburgh gyms expert, edi-traveller...

Originally Posted by stut
I can't speak for Edinburgh, but I used to be a member of a Virgin gym in London (subsidised through work) and wasn't that impressed. They did have BBC News on the screens, but inaudible above the standard thumping techno music these places seem to insist on. While the place was pleasant enough, the bulk of the equipment seemed to consist of treadmills and exercise bikes.
Not all Virgin Actives are the same - varies depending on manager, staff and legacy (e.g. ex-Holmes Place, ex-Esporta or legacy Virgin), so Jenbel, I suggest you visit and take full advantage of the free visit/sales pitch. Personally, I prefer every Virgin I've been to over every David Lloyd, and I quite like the Omni Virgin - it's big and airy, has well-appointed facilities and lots of equipment and classes (but I've only been about twice, while visiting). Shockingly, the reason why there are mostly treadmills and bikes is because that's all that most members bother to use...

The council facilities in Edinburgh are reputedly rather good (by London standards) - but edi-traveller has intimate knowledge, so I defer to his wisdom
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:44 pm

My student niece has a place in Leith overlooking the water.

Last time we spoke she said she had joined a local gym. I take it, it must be the David Lloyd one that you speak of. I shall see if I can get any more info. Seems she has become quite addicted to it..........wonder how long that'll last.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by kt74
I quite like the Omni Virgin - it's big and airy, has well-appointed facilities and lots of equipment and classes (but I've only been about twice, while visiting). Shockingly, the reason why there are mostly treadmills and bikes is because that's all that most members bother to use...
I have visited the Omni Virgin many times as I have stayed in the Glasshouse hotel next door quite often. I find it interesting that you like the big and airy feel - I'm a little less of a fan - I always feel like I'm working out in a warehouse with 7,000 other people. It's not terrible, but it can feel a bit overwhelming at times. But it's among the better of Virgin Active gyms I've visited and the changing facilities are actually quite lovely all in all.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Take a look at Pure Gym

http://www.puregym.co.uk/Pure-Gym/Edinburgh

I'm a member of the Manchester Branch and think it is great value for money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.