Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring within Dublin airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Transferring within Dublin airport

I was thinking about flying from Sligo to Dublin with Aer Arann so I could connect to my flight from Dublin to Boston with Aer Lingus. I had seen that there is a codeshare with Aer Arann and Aer Lingus for flights originating in Cork and how they can transfer in Dublin. What I wanted to know is if it was possible to transfer from an Aer Arann flight from Sligo to an Aer Lingus international flight without haveing to exit and then re-enter through security. I know I will have to go through immigration, but I believe that checkpoint is on the way down to the gate. I am hoping there is a way since I will only have about an hour or so between flights.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
The Aer Arann/Aer Lingus deal for Cork - Dublin doesn't apply to their other rotes.

There is no "sterile" way to do the connection you want - even if you have a boarding pass, you'll still have to go through the Irish passport checking/immigration area then head to the Flight Connections area. It involves a security screen, however (though this might be quieter than the main areas).

US CBP at Dublin can get very busy also - so an hour to complete the trip from the Sligo flight (arriving most likely at a Pier A, but possibly Pier D), clear through the all the checks/security etc, get back to Pier B, and then clear US immigration could be very tight.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:29 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Bumping this thread to see if it still accurate.

I am going to do an immediate turn MR on US Airways PHL-DUB and then immediate turnaround DUB-PHL.

Time between flights is 2:25 and I believe it is the same aircraft.

I assume it is still true that I will have to clear immigration and reclear security and US pre-clearance. I have gone through DUB pre-clearance before and I know it can be a P.I.T.A.

Do you guys think I'll be OK with this transit time?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Security & US pre-clearance took us less than 35 minutes last week. This was a Wed. @ 0900. Rest easy.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And assuming you have a return boarding pass, you can stay airside at Dublin. That still means a passport check and security scan to get into the departures area, but would cut down the amount of walking.

IIRC, as you approach Dublin immigration, the transfer route is off to the left.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Your turnaround time should be faster than that of the aircraft.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:19 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Thanks everyone - appreciate the help.

I will definitely try to get my return boarding passes before leaving the US
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by philemer
Security & US pre-clearance took us less than 35 minutes last week. This was a Wed. @ 0900. Rest easy.
Did preclearance a few months ago on a US service DUB-PHL. Was surprised at how quick and simple it was. Everyone tells you to show up at DUB three hours before departure for US-bound preclearance but we got through the filter in about 15 minutes.

Don't go through prematurely because there are NO amenities post-barrier in the gate area... it's just a holding pen.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Don't go through prematurely because there are NO amenities post-barrier in the gate area... it's just a holding pen.
This is incorrect.

The facilities are admittedly limited post immigration, but there's a coffee bar, and if you end up at one of the far gates, you go back upstairs towards the end of the pier and there's another coffee shop up there. It's also a lot more pleasant to wait 'upstairs'.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
This is incorrect.

The facilities are admittedly limited post immigration, but there's a coffee bar, and if you end up at one of the far gates, you go back upstairs towards the end of the pier and there's another coffee shop up there. It's also a lot more pleasant to wait 'upstairs'.
That's interesting. I was at what seemed the furthest gate the other day and never saw any stairs (but wasn't particularly looking). Where are they? Also, I thought the whole idea was to separate those who'd been through US Customs and Immigration from those who have not - if you can go upstairs and mingle with the others, then surely you would have to go through pre-clearance again?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
That's interesting. I was at what seemed the furthest gate the other day and never saw any stairs (but wasn't particularly looking). Where are they? Also, I thought the whole idea was to separate those who'd been through US Customs and Immigration from those who have not - if you can go upstairs and mingle with the others, then surely you would have to go through pre-clearance again?
I suspect they have a series of glass doors so they can switch the end of that pier upstairs between US & non US as required. I've done Dublin - US twice from T2. The first time was Aer Lingus and we went from a gate close to CBP "downstairs" but the last time was with Delta - went along at ground floor then up a set of stairs on the right hand side of the pier. There were a few US bound flights going from up there. I didn't look back but assume there's a temporary "wall" they put in place for the segregation.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I cop to not having penetrated all the way down the concourse and discovered those back stairs. I transited this terminal this spring and we used a ground-level gate not too far past the "border checkpoint." But I still maintain it's Spartan at best in there. There is plenty to eat, drink, shop for, etc. upstairs, post-security, but next to nothing downstairs, post-immigration... where you can easily be competing with several hundred people, during the rush period, for that coffee bar I didn't see.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
The coffee bar is on the right when you enter the US area, about 1/3 of the way down. It's marginal at best.

If you have Global Entry, I'd stay in the main area and then head downstairs at about T-60 at most.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:08 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Also, should you have EI lounge access, the front desk folks are pretty good at calling you down to immigration when it's relatively quiet.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The coffee bar is on the right when you enter the US area, about 1/3 of the way down. It's marginal at best.

If you have Global Entry, I'd stay in the main area and then head downstairs at about T-60 at most.
Global Entry in DUB has no special line. You have to go through the machine and then join a Non-US citizen line. If they staff have queued up 3 or 4 people in advance of you, it can take a good while to get through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.