Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Domestic travel in Turkey has really changed my mind...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them

Domestic travel in Turkey has really changed my mind about Turkish airlines. I had always been pretty pleased with Turkish Airlines but my experience was limited to international business class travel. Whether business or economy, the domestic flights have been wholly unimpressive. Not just shabby lounges, but non responsive counter help. I was sent back and forth numerous times on a simple question which no one wanted to answer. No business class checkin. No early boarding for *G or business class. "Tough luck we'll try and find it eventually and then you can come back to the airport to get your lost bag"

Poorly maintained internals on the older A321 with the biz class trays broken and window covers badly cracked. OK, we aren't talking about Air Astana or one of the total loser airlines but it sure is a step down from my prior experiences.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I think you need to look at things from a different perspective, for me, it makes me appreciate how TK presents and offers their CIP Lounge and long haul products, especially in J to the rest of the world given the logistics and cost involved.

I've flown many domestic TK, KK, and PG flights within Turkey, fares are relatively cheap and they managed (TK) to provide some food for such short flights. Meats are very expensive in Turkey, it makes me sad when people waste so much food onboard.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
You must have been in luck never to require the assistance of the TK international lounge staff at IST, ignoring or plainly lying to pax is very much standard operating procedure. They do not discriminate against domestic flights on that front

The only domestic route that is better than the rest is ESB for obvious reasons. I enjoyed a shine new B777 several times.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fracmeister
Domestic travel in Turkey has really changed my mind about Turkish airlines. I had always been pretty pleased with Turkish Airlines but my experience was limited to international business class travel. Whether business or economy, the domestic flights have been wholly unimpressive. Not just shabby lounges, but non responsive counter help. I was sent back and forth numerous times on a simple question which no one wanted to answer. No business class checkin. No early boarding for *G or business class. "Tough luck we'll try and find it eventually and then you can come back to the airport to get your lost bag"

Poorly maintained internals on the older A321 with the biz class trays broken and window covers badly cracked. OK, we aren't talking about Air Astana or one of the total loser airlines but it sure is a step down from my prior experiences.
I have had a few domestic flights on TK and it's Anadulu sub, all were good in Y. You should try US lounges and domestic flights - grubby aircraft, no food even on a 4 to 5 hour transcontinental unless you buy on board, while TK and Anadulu gave decent snack on hour long flights. I also flew Air Astana in Y and J a few months ago and was very impressed. IRROPS though are poorly handled on TK, had this on an IST-LAX flight a few years ago.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Indeed, it's hard to have it more miserable than on US domestic Y, a service borderline violating human rights.
As mod said, TK does not discriminate local or intl pax: assistance is non existent on either and you are democratically on your own.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
On a slightly unrelated note, what's wrong with Air Astana? When I flew them last month domestically, I thought the experience was excellent.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
On a slightly unrelated note, what's wrong with Air Astana? When I flew them last month domestically, I thought the experience was excellent.
OP must have had a bad experience judging by his comments. I found Air Astana to be an excellent experience in Y and J and would not hesitate to fly them again.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where exactly are we talking about here? If you are flying from IST or ESB, there definately IS Business Class check-in at the Business Class domestic entrance which goes directly to the lounge, and you DO have priority boarding from your own bus. Now if you went to the main terminal(s) and did not know that then that is your mistake.

If we are talking about Europe, what comparisons are you making? BA domestic is garbage. AF not better. I had to fly Air Berlin inside Germany twice. Never again. So really, what are your comparisons?

And what is wrong with Air Astana? Sort of like people who crap on Aeroflot, but have never flown them.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yea all my domestic trips with TK have been far better than European carriers.
I fly mostly ADB-IST and the experience in ADB is awesome, there is a Business/*G Terminal with a separate entrance, you get through check in and security within minute directly in the lounge.
And you get a bus to drive you directly from the lounge to your plane at boarding.

Plus you get actual food onboard, not just some bretzels you get on most US airline...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.