Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Using THY or StarAliance in DXB for Middle East travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out of ways to earn some miles from my business travel for my M&S account. I do travel to the below locations and at the moment we do stick to Emirates. I can sacrifice some seat time in return of miles and fly with THY or other SA operators.

Now, I kinda sorted my North Africa travel as using THY from DXB to reach Morocco, Tunisa or Algeria is not that horrible compared to Emirates. You do add a stopover and around 3 hrs. But for thosenI do J class and therefore the miles are worth.

The problem I am facing to find a flight is the below.

All from DXB

Jeddah
Kuwait city
Bahrain
Beirut
Muscat

I did my bit of homework and could not find anything. You guys may have good ideas. Codeshare flights will work as well. Obviously not intereested on taking a THY connecting flight from IST. That will be ridicilious and triple the total time. Many Thanks
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why not just fly EK? Everything else from Dubai does not make sense with your travel paterns
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why not just fly EK? Everything else from Dubai does not make sense with your travel paterns
I guess thats what I am going to do, I have a big advantage of accumulating miles with my credit card on M&S just want to maximize it but looks like have to do EK on those ones no other way around
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Well also want to be Elite+ and need all the status miles I can grab
Old Aug 21, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: TK E+, BA G, SPG Plat, PC G, MR Plat, HH G
To Muscat you can fly with Swiss.
I dont think there are any star alliance options for the other destinations (but if you find let me know)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It might make more sense to keep flying Emirates, but choose a better frequent flyer programme. Not quite sure the reason for the interest in *A status when based in DXB.

http://www.wheretocredit.com/emirates/j
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
It might make more sense to keep flying Emirates, but choose a better frequent flyer programme. Not quite sure the reason for the interest in *A status when based in DXB.

http://www.wheretocredit.com/emirates/j

Thank you very much for the link, I was not aware of that posibilty.

Well, The main reason to try not to stick with Emirates is. I do accumulate my miles mainly from my miles&smiles credit card not from flights. You do earn more miles with the credit card if you are, Elite or Elite+ so I would need some status miles to keep that position. I do use TK on my personal flights as I am ok to do a stopover in IST for west heading flights. East heading I guess I have to stick with other *A carriers. And doing my business flights with Emirate wont really gain me much.

Now question about tye link you send. So I can transfer emirate flights to the fallowing *A members

South African and TAP. I guess I can not re-transfer them to M&S but I can use them in TK flights?

Many Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:22 pm

I was based in the UAE and easily maintained TK Elite+ but most of my travel was to Europe, Africa and India - so TK/ET/AI flying for the most part.

Within the region though there is virtually no *A option for short-haul.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Profonde

South African and TAP. I guess I can not re-transfer them to M&S but I can use them in TK flights?
You can use those miles for TK rewards but reward flights won't help you to keep TK elite status. I also don't know whether their reward chart is any good and/or whether they pass along TK's surcharges.

If I flew a lot on Emirates I would be crediting to Alaska or maybe JAL, but that might not work for everybody.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:08 am
Original Poster

You can use those miles for TK rewards but reward flights won't help you to keep TK elite status. I also don't know whether their reward chart is any good and/or whether they pass along TK's surcharges.

If I flew a lot on Emirates I would be crediting to Alaska or maybe JAL, but that might not work for everybody.

Well apperantly no way to earn status miles for my short haul trips, I will stick with Emirates on those and bank to either TAP or South African and use them to upgrde flights on TK. I will however dly North Africa with TK instead of Emirates I think 3 -4 hour extra travel and +1 stopover is a good compromise to earn J class status miles

Any suggestion on banking to TAP vs South African to be used in *A or TK?

Many Thanks Guys
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Ok looks like not any options to accrue status miles with my short haul travel. I will stick to TK on North Africa travel and EK on short hauls

question is where should I bank them TAP or South African?

Many Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.