Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

What happens to international unclaimed bags in IST?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to international unclaimed bags in IST?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Question What happens to international unclaimed bags in IST?

Hi, I am arriving in IST, international, in the morning, and in three hours I have an international connection. Then I am coming back to IST the same night.

I do not want to take luggage with me during the day. So I thought, checking luggage in to IST (if I am allowed to do that). Three hours should be enough to enter Turkey, leave the luggage in Baggage Custody Services, and then reenter for the flight out, right?

But what happens if my incoming flight is late, and I have no time to go claim the luggage? Would the luggage just wait for me till the evening; or is it going to be processed out of baggage claim somehow?

Thanks.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
We need more information.

Firstly, if your connecting flight is on the same ticket, it's unlikely that TK will allow you to short-check your luggage to IST.

Second, it's not clear how your other travel plans are interlinked. For example, I would be more inclined to write off an out-and-back mileage run rather than risk losing my luggage by having it sit in baggage claim all day and hope to track it down later from people whose mother tongue I don't speak.

But it may be part of a wider (ex-CAI?) scheme which means you perhaps shouldn't be checking in luggage at all if you're trying to same plane turnaround somewhere difficult.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:20 am
Original Poster

I am going to OZH with TK on the same ticket, connecting in IST. I am spending a few hours in OZH, then coming back to IST with an AltlasJet flight.

Just trying to figure out where to store luggage for the day. There is no luggage storage in OZH. And I believe, luggage check there is after security with registration opening not earlier than three hours before the flight.

So, I thought of simply leaving the luggage in IST.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue
According to the Airport map there is a left luggage facility next to the TK hotel desk and Starbucks. Can't remember this as I was there last week, but I also didn't used it.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You might not be able to convince TK to short-check your luggage to IST. So you have to think on the basis of any checked luggage going all the way to OZH.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:12 am
Original Poster

You were right. TK would not let me short check the luggage to IST.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

The land-side lounge in OZH (go to the right after exiting the terminal building, past the departures, past the cafe) conveniently offered to store the bag for 50 UAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.