Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite and priority security at Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Elite and priority security at Istanbul

I just did transit at Istanbul flying Turkish Airlines in economy. I'm Elite and I was trying to access the priority security line but I was deny access. Is this correct? Shouldn't Elite members get access to it? Now I had to wait over hour in the other line and almost missed my flight. This was international flight connecting international flight.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:23 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by darios
I just did transit at Istanbul flying Turkish Airlines in economy. I'm Elite and I was trying to access the priority security line but I was deny access. Is this correct? Shouldn't Elite members get access to it? Now I had to wait over hour in the other line and almost missed my flight. This was international flight connecting international flight.
If I am not mistaken transit security priority is only for E+
Old May 1, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
I'm TK Gold and have used the priority lane at security many times when travelling in Y. Have not been in IST in months so maybe it has changed but I thought only immigration priority lines were reserved for some specific (credit) card holders.

But as always with TK and IST, YMMV.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite+ - Marriott Rewards Gold - Hertz 5 Stars
if you mean the fast track when you transfer from International to International it should be for all biz class passengers + Elite and Elite+. i've never had problems to go through when i was Elite, but it was 3 year back.
if i'm not wrong it should be working also for other star gold, but i'm not 100% about this part.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Glad to hear you made it even though it was a stressful experience.

- As Elite, you are entitled to use the business security checkpoint at the entrance of the building.

-After check-in, there is a dedicated passport check right before the second security that you should have had access to as well.

- the one checkpoint that you are not entitled to use is the direct entrance to the lounge. I'm guessing this is the one they turned you away from.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

up till last february, elite traveling in Y could still use transit security priority.. there is usually a sign board next to the line and its usually written there who has eligible access for the line..
Old May 1, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kerjaansei
up till last february, elite traveling in Y could still use transit security priority.. there is usually a sign board next to the line and its usually written there who has eligible access for the line..
As far as I recall, that is still the case (both transit security and passport check towards baggage and exit).
Old May 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
As far as I recall, that is still the case (both transit security and passport check towards baggage and exit).
right. i meant i was there last feb and i could have access of the lane
Old May 3, 2017, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks for the info guys. I guess the clerk didn't really have any idea of the rules/guidelines. I didn't see any sign there unfortunately. There was a lot of people getting in to the security and many trying to cut in line too. So it was bit of chaos for the staff too.
Old May 3, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
The entry border has one lane dedicated to business-class and both Elite levels. it shares three or four positions with two lanes to the right, one for dips and crew, the other for TAV members (and, I think, some airlines).

In theory, when the other two lanes are empty, TKers get called over to the free positions. In practice this does not happen so much: lots of crew!

The make up of the priority lanes can change on a whim.

When it's a single server queue, you're vulnerable to difficult customers holding up the line.

Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:33 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The entry border has one lane dedicated to business-class and both Elite levels. it shares three or four positions with two lanes to the right, one for dips and crew, the other for TAV members (and, I think, some airlines).

In theory, when the other two lanes are empty, TKers get called over to the free positions. In practice this does not happen so much: lots of crew!

The make up of the priority lanes can change on a whim.
Is this dedicated lane the Fast Track lane? To access it as a J passenger with an e-visa, do I bear to the right as I approach Immigration?

Any other counsel or guidance?
Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dayone
Is this dedicated lane the Fast Track lane? To access it as a J passenger with an e-visa, do I bear to the right as I approach Immigration?

Any other counsel or guidance?
It's hard to say which direction you're coming from, but the fast track / Business Class section is fairly obviously marked. Simply avoid joining a long queue and look around for it.

As mentioned, whether it is fast or not depends on how many agents are working it and whether there are any difficult arrivals ahead of you or whether any special services agents jump the queue with a wheelchair guest, etc..
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
So in transit passengers still have to go through Security? We'll be arriving on TK from IAH and departing on TK to DXB in J on both flights.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Arrivals from the EU are considered "clean" and do not have to go through transit security. Arrivals from Canada, Switzerland and anything east of Turkey do have to go through transit security.

I assume, but don't know for a fact, that US arrivals are not considered "clean" either.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Thank you, airoli.

I looked on Turkish Airlines website and found nothing helpful, but found this on the Ataturk airport site:

"Transfer PassengersInternational Transfer Passengers With An International Connection Flight) A boarding card is issued for the passenger (if not issued in the country of origin) at the transit desk of the relevant handling company on the Arrivals floor. The passenger does not go through passport control. Instead, he/she directly proceeds through the transit area into the International Departures area. Baggage will be automatically transferred to the connecting flight."

So that begs the question, has anyone who has taken TK out of Houston, been given a boarding pass for the onward flight after IST?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.