Wiki Posts
Search

Devaluation of TK Miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Devaluation of TK Miles

I just tried to book a redemption ticket and noticed that some mileage requirements appear to have changed. When did this occur?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I hope you're wrong. What were you charged for which route? This table still looks the same for the routings I'm familiar with:

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/miles-and-smiles/awards/turkish-airlines-capacity-controlled-award-ticket-table
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Specifics please. I also can't see any changes on the award chart.

Are you sure you didn't end up in the seat guaranteed awards, tried to pay your taxes with miles, or misplaced a departure / arrival airport from what you expected?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Specifics please. I also can't see any changes on the award chart.

Are you sure you didn't end up in the seat guaranteed awards, tried to pay your taxes with miles, or misplaced a departure / arrival airport from what you expected?
For example, my recollection is that the mileage required to fly to the US and Far East from Europe 2 used to be 50k in Y and 80k in J rather than 60k and 90k. I refer to the figures on the old THY website.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
I think that particular devaluation was part and package of the M&S 'enhancements' of 2014.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Europe 2 <-> Far East in J has been 90k for a long time. Nothing new there...
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The OP needs to use his miles a bit more.

That devaluation happened in 2014!
Old Oct 29, 2022, 4:24 pm

Has Turkish recently devalued their program, added saver/non-saver awards or something else? I was just looking at award flights and the costs are double what I’ve seen before, if not more. Previously I’ve booked business class RTs to Central Asia for 105,000 miles (even less when I hit upon a promo award period), but OWs are now showing up as 125,000, and that is what their award chart seems to show. Am I doing something wrong, because I’m not seeing any mention of a devaluation searching FlyerTalk, various travel blogs or online in general? Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by strummerjones
Has Turkish recently devalued their program, added saver/non-saver awards or something else? I was just looking at award flights and the costs are double what I’ve seen before, if not more. Previously I’ve booked business class RTs to Central Asia for 105,000 miles (even less when I hit upon a promo award period), but OWs are now showing up as 125,000, and that is what their award chart seems to show. Am I doing something wrong, because I’m not seeing any mention of a devaluation searching FlyerTalk, various travel blogs or online in general? Thanks in advance for any insights.
There are no changes. Saver award seats availability has been always limited, now even more due to the revenue demand, there is nothing wrong with your search. I just looked my possible redemption option to South America. On my preferable day, economy redemption costs 55k miles, business award redemption 52,5k miles. Means that economy saver award seats are gone, business class are not.
strummerjones likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by strummerjones
I means that there is no promotional award availability and you are looking at the inflated (guaranteed) award. for the travel date in question. It will show if promotional awards are available.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
yea i havent been able to find any saver awards to ny or lax. they are 105k, used to be 45k
Old Nov 4, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by fbcooper
yea i havent been able to find any saver awards to ny or lax. they are 105k, used to be 45k
This is not a devaluation. LAX was always one of the highest paid Business Class traveller yielding routes for Turkish Airlines and their Business Cabins to/from LAX are usually full.

It would not make sense for TK to open up saver availability when they are able to sell cash Business tickets for the same seats.

It was not a surprise for me but I would like to share this for reference, I was look at destinations to use my expiring miles to promotional award inventory to secondary destinations such as Valencia, Cluj, Vilnius, etc... is wide available while it's almost impossible to score these redemptions to Madrid, London, Paris, etc... unless you pick unfavorable departure times or dates very far in advance.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 9:07 pm
soy

Programs: various
Europe to Asia for next summer is devoid of promo awards. Used to be that if you were flexible you could get something to work.
Hopefully this is temporary, and they will get back to pre-covid availability
Old Nov 6, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by soy
Europe to Asia for next summer is devoid of promo awards. Used to be that if you were flexible you could get something to work.
Hopefully this is temporary, and they will get back to pre-covid availability
I'm not surprised about that at all. Asia has been closed for a long time and the coming summer is really the first proper reason to visit Asia in general (I know a lot of countries are "open" but even Japan is not really open according some trip reports).
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.