Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: starflyergold
US and UK electronics ban:

As of 5 July 2017 personal electronics can again be brought into the cabin on flights to the US. The UK was lifted at the end of July.

Which items are affected?

The US rule is broad and wide-ranging, affecting almost anything that is not a phone.
"Electronic devices larger than a cell phone/smart phone will not be allowed to be carried onboard the aircraft in carry-on luggage or other accessible property." Anything larger will have to go in checked luggage in the hold.

The US DHS gave a list of examples, but said it was not exhaustive:
  • Laptops
  • Tablets
  • E-readers
  • Cameras
  • Portable DVD players
  • Electronic game units larger than a smartphone
  • Travel printers/scanners

The rules apply to all flights originating from Turkey to the US or UK, and apply to those who started their journey outside of Turkey and are connecting at IST.

The UK rules are set out here https://www.gov.uk/government/news/a...ghts-to-the-uk.
Print Wikipost

electronics ban on US/UK bound flights [now lifted]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I wonder how many fires will be caused by all those lithium batteries going in the holds - something many airlines ban.

Another ill thought through piece of nonsense.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Anyone have suggestions, strategies, and tips on how we may protect our electronics
and minimize the risk of them being stolen from checked bags with this ban happening?

We will be flying Turkish Airlines from Dubai, connect in IST, then back to the U.S. and this makes me very uneasy due to risk of theft as this ban is essentially saying to thieves "come get it - high value electronics and sensitive data can be found in passenger checked bags"

I am contemplating if it's safer to ship/mail my electronics back rather than pose them at risk for thefts in checked bags?

In my case, our bags will change hands twice with airport bag handlers - once in Dubai, the again to the connecting flight in IST. And again in the U S, so it's actually 3 times at risk

Hope Turkish Airlines and other airlines affected has good baggage staff and will increase the security of our belongings to prevent thefts from bags

Last edited by vg247; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tcm
Different to the U.S. ban the U.K. has a dimension limit as well, even for phones. And "surprisingly" no ban for flights from Qatar/UAE. Politics driven security at its best
IST-DXB-LHR-IAD and IST-TLV is fine to have a laptop in the cabin bag but IST-LHR, IST-IAD and DXB-IAD isn't fine for that. Weird.

Just waiting to see how long TLV takes to make nice with WAS.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
So folks, I am travelling GVA-IST-SFO next week, with an overnight stopover in IST. Do you think I can short check in to IST, and then check in my laptop next morning before IST-SFO?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dipthought
So folks, I am travelling GVA-IST-SFO next week, with an overnight stopover in IST. Do you think I can short check in to IST, and then check in my laptop next morning before IST-SFO?
With an overnight, you should already be short-checking... There shouldn't be problems.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:08 pm

What a load of rubbish. I have a couple of TK flights booked this summer and I suppose I'll just mail the iPad to myself. Such a waste of time, effort and money. Security? Pffft.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
The ban does also apply to flights from the UAE.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...aspx#/#4086177
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Enthilza
The ban does also apply to flights from the UAE.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...aspx#/#4086177
It does apply sometime this week for flights to the US from the UAE.

It doesn't apply to flights from the UAE to the UK or elsewhere beside the US. This is of course subject to change.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Good thing my upcoming flights are all out of YUL and YYZ. Not sure if I ever want to fly out of/into US at this point.

I was already tired of all the security measures before this flying into US, and now.....
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by vincewy
Good thing my upcoming flights are all out of YUL and YYZ. Not sure if I ever want to fly out of/into US at this point.
I really hope that Canada does not fall in line with these new measures. The U.S. has a habit of blackmailing Canada into adopting their silly security theatrics...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Shawn02139
Has anyone tried to request a refund from Turkish? I have a long flight from IST to US and would like to work on the flight. I'd be happy with a reroute onto a star alliance carrier via Europe
I'd be interested to hear about this too - similar situation. Doubt my chances but would appreciate hearing if anyone was successful...
Old Mar 22, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: TK Elite
Well I'm glad I'm not traveling to the US anytime soon, glad I chose South America for my vacation this time!
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Well I'm glad I'm not traveling to the US anytime soon, glad I chose South America for my vacation this time!
The problem is the flight back home, connecting in IST, if other European countries decide to join the UK/US ban. Realistically you would have to check your electronics into to your luggage leaving South America.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:31 am
tcm

The Turkish Ministry of Transportation is apparently in talks with their U.S. counterparts. They have suggested the use of the so called 360• tomographic scanners for cabin luggage just like checked luggage. Also 100% implementation of ETD (Explosion Trace Detection) instead of random selection. That is the swipe thing. I am doubtful they will be able to sway US/UK policy anytime soon on this because this not just about security. Just like the unfortunate events in London yesterday have shown once again, in this age and day there is no 100% security. I personally feel as safe as I can flying from A to B than driving on Turkish roads or walking in a shady neighborhood. Anyway for those that might be interested there is a interesting piece on the Turkish Bloomberg affiliate. Safe Travels Everyone!

article: http://www.bloomberght.com/haberler/haber/1996494-elektronik-cihaz-yasagi-sonrasi-ulastirma-bakanligindan-surpriz-teklif (Turkish)
Old Mar 23, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by tcm
The Turkish Ministry of Transportation is apparently in talks with their U.S. counterparts. They have suggested the use of the so called 360• tomographic scanners for cabin luggage just like checked luggage. Also 100% implementation of ETD (Explosion Trace Detection) instead of random selection. That is the swipe thing. I am doubtful they will be able to sway US/UK policy anytime soon on this because this not just about security. Just like the unfortunate events in London yesterday have shown once again, in this age and day there is no 100% security. I personally feel as safe as I can flying from A to B than driving on Turkish roads or walking in a shady neighborhood. Anyway for those that might be interested there is a interesting piece on the Turkish Bloomberg affiliate. Safe Travels Everyone!

article: http://www.bloomberght.com/haberler/...surpriz-teklif (Turkish)
This all makes the assumption that the ban is because of the possibility of explosives being concealed in these devices. I am not sure that is a valid assumption. I still wonder if the problem is lithium batteries and the energy they contain and what can be done with that energy. If I am right, it does not bode well for those of us that need to travel with laptops etc in the future.

The idea of posting/shipping electronics is none too good either. Import duties are a real risk in that situation. I think the airlines will have to come up with a way of carrying these items where they take on the liability for loss/damage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.