Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK J - Good value but second rate product....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK J - Good value but second rate product....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:57 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by tcm
From a recent verified Skytrax review by a Greek pax
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by TPJ
Use the shower facility downstairs. I never have to wait for shower more than 45 minutes there, even during the peak hours.
Arrived at IST lounge around 11pm on 17/2, had 2 hours layover and told that had to wait 2 hours for the shower. It was downstairs!

I have never been able to get a shower at the lounge between 10pm to 12am. Have been flying with them for quite a few times and this has always been the case - always go downstairs and ask and the answer is always a 2 hours wait.

The A330 J is a huge disappointment - I used miles to upgrade so in a way I didn't pay for that. If I pay real cash for a J ticket I think I'll go for QR or UA Polaris. No wifi on board both ways (I guess they only have it on the 777s - but on the way to KUL they announced there will be wifi ). The 777 is a lot better however the 2-3-2 config is just ridiculous.

I did get wrong meal - they claimed that I ordered SFML which I didn't (somehow they messed up) and I ended up having to eat that.

Last time I flew IST-IAH J, my main course never arrived - ok I don't care as I wasn't hungry but it's still unprofessional.

During dessert the chef told me that they have Tiramisu (which wasn't on the menu) and I picked that (it obviously doesn't look like the Tiramisu I'm used to) and turned out to be cheesecake. This was for both in and out bound IST-KUL (different chef).
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by nacho
he A330 J is a huge disappointment (...) No wifi on board both ways
The A330-300s are gradually getting Wifi. 3 out of the last 4 birds I flew on had it. And it's free for J pax and Elite / Elite+ members in all cabins.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 12:13 pm
tcm

There are a number of A330s which are leased and some other that still have the angled-flat beds. However the last time I flew KUL (or BKK,SIN), I got always the full bed latest J product that we all know on all legs which is a very decent J product. Certainly not inferior to what QR, EK has currently on offer at the moment. AFAIK, they will be introducing new J products soon and TK would have to follow. Actually I prefer the new TK A330s to the TK 777s as they have a more intimate J Cabin and of course the 2-2-2 layout. I guess everyone has a different perspective. Regarding service lapses, On my first SQ J flight, I was skipped the main breakfast course which I still remember. TK is no SQ in terms of service quality for sure, but when there are no irregularities, I would still rate them on par with the ME2 minus QR.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:47 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by tcm
T... TK is no SQ in terms of service quality for sure, but when there are no irregularities, I would still rate them on par with the ME2 minus QR.
Just so that I don't misunderstand, do you mean to say that QR is better or worse than EY/EK?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:57 pm
tcm

Originally Posted by phoochka
Just so that I don't misunderstand, do you mean to say that QR is better or worse than EY/EK?
Bad wording on my side, meant to say that I personally find QR better (J/Y) than EK/EY overall.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by airoli
The A330-300s are gradually getting Wifi. 3 out of the last 4 birds I flew on had it. And it's free for J pax and Elite / Elite+ members in all cabins.
On the way out, we could see the wifi but couldn't connect to it. On the way back, even the crew confirmed that there's no wifi although they announced that there was.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tcm
I personally find QR better (J/Y) than EK/EY overall.
+1.

QR>EY>EK in J.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:55 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by nacho
UA Polaris.
You of course know that UA Polaris is limited to a single B77W aircraft and a single lounge (at ORD).

I have to congratulate UA for its brilliant marketing strategy, though (currently I am at UA Int Lounge at SFO - no Polaris experience in sight).

PS. I know that some Polaris elements like Saks pillows and duvet are available on all long-haul flight, but still...

PS. Sorry for OT'ing
Old Mar 6, 2017, 4:58 pm
TPJ

Originally Posted by dayone
+1.

QR>EY>EK in J.
EY>QR for me - I was on too many non-refurbished B777 QR flights to MEL, there is more privacy on EY Studio (even non-Studio config is better than QR non-refurbished C).

PS. I have no experience with EK.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TPJ
EY>QR for me - I was on too many non-refurbished B777 QR flights to MEL, there is more privacy on EY Studio (even non-Studio config is better than QR non-refurbished C).
I was rating the refurbished QR product, but I agree with you about QR old J.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:41 pm
TPJ

Shower wait time

Data point:

Yesterday (Tuesday) about 6.30 pm the shower wait time was less than 10 minutes (downstairs).

Last edited by TPJ; Mar 10, 2017 at 1:01 pm Reason: gramar
Old Mar 9, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TPJ
Data point:

Yesterday (Tuesday) about 6.30 pm the shower wait time wsd less than 10 minutes (downstairs).
I was also at the lounge yesterday around that time. I went for a shower at 5.45pm and they didn't even hand me a buzzer, they just let me in immediately.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
It is insane to think you need to bring water from the lounge to the aircraft.

I have been flying TK economy and business for the past 30 years of my life and I have never been refused water. The worst case scenario would be that the staff is too slow, and you can get up from your seat on the way to the toilet and grab a few bottles yourself from them. The fact is, if you are flying business especially, you can ask for any kind of drink you want at any moment except take off and landing in TK and they will get it for you, if they don't, call the cabin chief and tell them the crew is not doing their job.

It is true that cabins can be insanely hot.

The entertainment system and full flat seats are as good a business class product as you can find anywhere except maybe the top 2-3 airlines such as Singapore. Some people might not like that the seats are not as private as other airlines, but I personally hate EK business where I can't see my child sitting right next to me. For me if you are a single traveler you would prefer EK type seats with more privacy, and if you are traveling with family you might prefer TK seats.

I agree that the staff needs more training especially with language skills, sometimes they don't listen so well or don't understand you but pretend that they do. This can lead to a lot of confusion.

I like the TK lounge a lot, but hate the fact that it is so crowded.

Overall I think TK still has a great value quality business product. Would I fly Singapore if they have the same route somewhere? Absolutely. But give me TK over any European or American carrier and I will take it every time.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:24 am
tcm

Originally Posted by tcmb99
It is insane to think you need to bring water from the lounge to the aircraft.

I have been flying TK economy and business for the past 30 years of my life and I have never been refused water. The worst case scenario would be that the staff is too slow, and you can get up from your seat on the way to the toilet and grab a few bottles yourself from them. The fact is, if you are flying business especially, you can ask for any kind of drink you want at any moment except take off and landing in TK and they will get it for you, if they don't, call the cabin chief and tell them the crew is not doing their job.

It is true that cabins can be insanely hot.

The entertainment system and full flat seats are as good a business class product as you can find anywhere except maybe the top 2-3 airlines such as Singapore. Some people might not like that the seats are not as private as other airlines, but I personally hate EK business where I can't see my child sitting right next to me. For me if you are a single traveler you would prefer EK type seats with more privacy, and if you are traveling with family you might prefer TK seats.

I agree that the staff needs more training especially with language skills, sometimes they don't listen so well or don't understand you but pretend that they do. This can lead to a lot of confusion.

I like the TK lounge a lot, but hate the fact that it is so crowded.

Overall I think TK still has a great value quality business product. Would I fly Singapore if they have the same route somewhere? Absolutely. But give me TK over any European or American carrier and I will take it every time.
The open cabin without dividers are less private but offer a less claustrophobic experience and are better for families for sure. I must say I really liked what QR did with their new J product (QSuite). It offers flexibility and is innovative. I hope TK keeps up with the competition. The new benchmark are not the U.S. or European legacies but the ME3. Pretty much agree with the rest of your post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.