Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Snow at IST Causing Cancellations - January 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snow at IST Causing Cancellations - January 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: TK E+, AA PLAT
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Even if it was cancelled already at that time, you will not get anywhere with this - unless you of course paid for alternative flights yourself and are trying to get reimbursement from TK (which I guess would be very difficult).
Doesn't TK allow to cancel with a full refund if there is a schedule change of more than 15 min?
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Indeed, to cancel and get a refund of the TK fare should not be a problem - the offical policy of TK in this situation is to offer cancellation and full refund if the pax do not wish to travel.

I'm referring to reimbursement of the expected (extra) costs of having to book new flights last minute. Most likely a last minute booking with a different carrier would be more expensive than the fare paid to TK, i.e. the need to get reimbursed for the fare exceeding the TK fare arises.

Whether the general policy of TK is to allow cancellation and full refund for schedule changes exceeding 15 min. I do not know. However, the policy seems quite flexible/generous, as in the past I have had no problems being allowed to cancel and getting a full refund for schedule changes of down to 30 min ^
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EC Reg. 261/04 does apply, but no compensation.

I think the issue of rebooking is in the grey zone and you can't blame TK for refusing to rebook you on different carriers if there was chance that TK would be able to get you to the destination within reasonable time.
I recall a case a few years ago where KL refused to rebook a number of pax on a different carrier, instead offering seats on the next available KL flight, which was a few days later.

The pax bought new tickets on another airline and then took KL to court (in Denmark). They won, the court ruled that the EC reg. required that KL was under an obligation to get the pax to their destination as quickly as possible, regardless of operating carrier.

Johan
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA
Thank you all for responses. I am not seeking compensation in this case but I was wondering whether TK was in violation of EC261 when they refused to put pax on alternative airlines on the same day. Before I checked in, my connecting flight (the only flight a day from IST) was already cancelled and I asked TK to reroute me with alternative airlines so that I can reach my destination around the same time but TK refused to do so, citing only two options are a full refund or travel on TK in a later day.

1. So to sum it up the responses above, even if my non-EU leg is cancelled, which essentially prevents me to reach my destination within 24h if I wait for the next TK flight, I should have given a choice of rerouting with a different airline (because it was departing from an EU airport). Is that the correct understanding of EC261? Two reasons to be hesitant in this case. First, I read somewhere on this forum that if your non-EU flight is cancelled, Ec261 should not apply but that seems rather odd given the ticket was purchased as departing from EU airport. Second, the EC261's mention on rerouting doesn't say anything about carriers, i.e, it doesn't clearly state that the airlines are required to put pax on ALTERNATIVE airlines. But the KL case mentioned above seems to indicate that the airlines indeed are required to put pax on alternative airlines.

2. Full refund is problematic as mentioned before because of last minute ticket prices and I was not sure if I had the entitlement of EC261 (because my non-EU flight is cancelled). So I ended up taking the TK flight and tried to sort it out in IST. Suppose I am protected by EC261 but TK didn't reroute me on alternative airlines. In case of full refund, would TK pay the full cost? Suppose my original ticket was 500e but the new last minute ticket was 1000e, then I should get 1000e instead of 500e? My reading on KL case, seems to indicate that I would get 1000e.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As I recall it from the AA or BA forum the general consensus seem to be that if for the last leg of an EU-US hub-US destination itinerary is delayed or cancelled by e.g. AA (a non-EU airline) EC Reg. 261/04 does not apply (whereas if it was the EU-US hub leg that was delayed and caused you to misconnect, EC reg. 261/04 would apply).

Applying that to your example, the EC reg. 261/04 would not apply if a non-EU leg performed by a non-EU carrier was affected (despite your travels originating in EU because your EU leg was not affected)

Anyway, speculating on what your rights would be have makes little sense - we need to accept that TK does not rereoute AOL - period.

In your case and given the extraordinary weather situation in IST for which TK cannot be blamed, it will be difficult to find sympathy for an argument that you should be allowed to rereoute/rebook OAL at the expense of TK.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I am in Beijing desperately awaiting a cargo shipment from Switzerland.
Guess which route that took? Yep. ZRH-IST-PEK.
Shipment now delayed three days.
Won't be able to send out to customer until AFTER Chinese New Year.

Oy vey.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sony2012
Suppose I am protected by EC261 but TK didn't reroute me on alternative airlines. In case of full refund, would TK pay the full cost? Suppose my original ticket was 500e but the new last minute ticket was 1000e, then I should get 1000e instead of 500e? My reading on KL case, seems to indicate that I would get 1000e.
No, the correct procedure would be to ask for a refund of your TK ticket (refund of the fare paid) and reimbursement of the add. expenses incurred to get to your destination. It does not make sense to ask TK to refund e.g. a KL ticket as TK never received payment for such ticket. You can only ask TK for refund of amounts that you have paid to TK.

Getting TK to reimburse the add. expenses to purchase a another ticket (if a KL ticket was purchased it would be the difference between the KL fare and what you paid to TK) will be uphill and most likely require you to take legal steps/to lodge a complaint - hardly worth the time and efforts.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: AA
No, the correct procedure would be to ask for a refund of your TK ticket (refund of the fare paid) and reimbursement of the add. expenses incurred to get to your destination. It does not make sense to ask TK to refund e.g. a KL ticket as TK never received payment for such ticket. You can only ask TK for refund of amounts that you have paid to TK.
When you say additional expenses, doesn't it mean the fare difference or any other non-air expenses? In any case, it did sound like an uphill battle as I was not sure if EC261 would apply to my case, so this time, I reluctantly accepted to wait for the next TK flight. However, if TK doesn't reroute, and not required to by EC261 when connecting through non-EU hub (IST in this case), I would definitely avoid TK in the future. I would rather fly other EU carriers that would reroute me or at least fully protected under Ec261 instead of saving a few pennies with TK and stopping in IST.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by boosh
Doesn't TK allow to cancel with a full refund if there is a schedule change of more than 15 min?
No. I had a 1 hour schedule change last year and TK refused to allow a refund. I had to go to the airport, take a VDB off the oversold flight, and then offer to waive my compensation for a refund in order to get my money back.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
OMG!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...h-to-de-icing/

We demand answers!

Two ground staff at an airport in Turkey took a novel approach to de-icing a plane this week, by pouring what appeared to be the contents of a large bottle of water over the wing.

Passengers on board the Turkish Airlines plane watched agog as the two men in high-vis jackets balanced atop a ladder leaning against the wing, then sloshed a large bottle of liquid onto the ice. In a video captured by one of the passengers, the bottle looks like the ones used in office water dispensers – whether it contained de-icer or water is unclear

The shambolic scenario at Sanliurfa Airport took an even stranger turn when one of the men – by accident or design – let the bottle roll down the icy wing, dispensing the mystery fluid as it went. The bottle hit the main fuselage with a thump – now half-full, precariously balanced, and out of reach of the two men.

It is unclear whether the two high-vis jacketed individuals are employed by Turkish Airlines or the airport, and how they managed to retrieve the bottle after their escapades.

Last edited by beduin; Jan 15, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Does anyone know about TAT ticket- Transitional Automated Ticket (TAT). I was onboard TK6996 from Antalya to Istanbul but diverted to Izmir. I just see if I can earn miles for this flight. Originally on TK71 diverted to AYT, then AYT to ADB, finally reroute from ADB to LHR via IST.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: M&Bonus Gold, TK Elite, Alitalia Freccia Alata, TopBonus Gold
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Does anyone know about TAT ticket- Transitional Automated Ticket (TAT). I was onboard TK6996 from Antalya to Istanbul but diverted to Izmir. I just see if I can earn miles for this flight. Originally on TK71 diverted to AYT, then AYT to ADB, finally reroute from ADB to LHR via IST.
Same question....I also have a TAT ticket and seeing that originally I had tickets that were 100% earning rate, I am quite annoyed if these do not earn miles....
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beduin
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...h-to-de-icing/

We demand answers!

Two ground staff at an airport in Turkey took a novel approach to de-icing a plane this week, by pouring what appeared to be the contents of a large bottle of water over the wing.

Passengers on board the Turkish Airlines plane watched agog as the two men in high-vis jackets balanced atop a ladder leaning against the wing, then sloshed a large bottle of liquid onto the ice. In a video captured by one of the passengers, the bottle looks like the ones used in office water dispensers – whether it contained de-icer or water is unclear

The shambolic scenario at Sanliurfa Airport took an even stranger turn when one of the men – by accident or design – let the bottle roll down the icy wing, dispensing the mystery fluid as it went. The bottle hit the main fuselage with a thump – now half-full, precariously balanced, and out of reach of the two men.

It is unclear whether the two high-vis jacketed individuals are employed by Turkish Airlines or the airport, and how they managed to retrieve the bottle after their escapades.

De Icing Turkish Airlines After snow storm - YouTube
I read somewhere this wasn't in Turkey nor was it TK's ground team.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Mict
I read somewhere this wasn't in Turkey nor was it TK's ground team.
It's in Turkey and the personnel are wearing TGS clothing.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by theswisswolf
Same question....I also have a TAT ticket and seeing that originally I had tickets that were 100% earning rate, I am quite annoyed if these do not earn miles....
I've just made a feedback to TK's customer feedback page. Let's see if they reply. Probably going to take ages

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.