Wiki Posts
Search

Business Class: TK vs. SAS vs. Swiss Air

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2016, 2:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Business Class: TK vs. SAS vs. Swiss Air

Any thoughts on which J product you'd prefer?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:57 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Which route?

Assuming long-haul my preference would be:

TK > SK (new product) > LX
Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

ORD-IST-ATH
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
With TK you might end up in the middle seat in longhaul J on certain aircraft ...

With these 3 airlines my choice would be mainly based on the suffering factor (price & travel time of day & total travel time) and very slightly by how much it would earn in my preferred FFP.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

How would I end up in middle seat? How do I avoid it?
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
The seat config for TK J 777 is 2-3-2. If you book in advance and get ASR, then you can probably avoid it. I have seen people sitting in the middle of the 3 seats row.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
TK! although some people claim the new SAS J product is great. TK lounge in Istanbul is way better than any SAS-hub lounge (CPH, OSL, ARN). LX has very good reputation (never flown J with them) but have an amazing lounge.

You can avoid middle seat in TK by choosing seat when buying the ticket (if allowed) or calling them.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:01 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by TMM1982
ORD-IST-ATH
Based on this thread on SK forum CPH-ATH are operated by a 26 years old aircraft leased from another airline. There is no catering offered - only coffee/tea/nuts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-catering.html

Seems to fly CPH-ATH and CPH-DUS/CPH-MXP.
Unless you are XX*G you will not be able to get the 1st floor lounge at CPH - only the ground floor with limited catering/wine/beer.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 11:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toastedcafe
TK! although some people claim the new SAS J product is great. TK lounge in Istanbul is way better than any SAS-hub lounge (CPH, OSL, ARN). LX has very good reputation (never flown J with them) but have an amazing lounge.

You can avoid middle seat in TK by choosing seat when buying the ticket (if allowed) or calling them.
I booked it through Singapore so I'm still waiting for it to ticket. Hopefully once I have my PNR or E-ticket # I can login to TK and select seat.

I've heard the new SAS J is great as well and they're a Star Alliance member so I could book that. Tough choice.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:11 am
TPJ

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Hopefully once I have my PNR or E-ticket # I can login to TK and select seat.
Huh, no... You need to call them - they have outdated IT platform - no self service options... SQ should be able to assign a seat for you, though...
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
SQ should be able to assign a seat for you, though...
Thanks I'll try that. I'm scared to get seat assignments through a 3rd party though. I feel like they will be the first ones to get bumped. I don't think I can book till 100 days out though?

Last edited by TMM1982; Jul 5, 2016 at 4:27 am
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TPJ
Huh, no... You need to call them - they have outdated IT platform - no self service options... SQ should be able to assign a seat for you, though...
With the new website, this is no longer true
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
With the new website, this is no longer true
I did get my eticket number from Singapore but for some reason I am still unable to login to TK website. Strange. Oh well.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by TPJ
Based on this thread on SK forum CPH-ATH are operated by a 26 years old aircraft leased from another airline. There is no catering offered - only coffee/tea/nuts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-catering.html
And occasionally they use their spare A340 (no upgraded J class seats) on that route, so it can go from feast to famine depending on which day you fly.
Originally Posted by SK1989
LN-RKP flew a roundtrip to ATH due to lack of A321s today.
Edit: Overlooked the post where the OP wrote he has already booked travel on TK, so this info doesn't really matter anymore. Sorry for the noise.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Jul 7, 2016 at 9:26 am
Old Jul 7, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Edit: Overlooked the post where the OP wrote he has already booked travel on TK, so this info doesn't really matter anymore. Sorry for the noise.
Booked it through SQ though. Pretty cheap to change. Still got my eyes on Lufthansa F if it comes available. Would be amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.