Wiki Posts
Search

Economy passengers "sneaking" into J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Economy passengers "sneaking" into J

On my first LH flight with TK (IST-IAH) I witnessed (first time also) people from economy trying to take advantage of unoccupied J seats. I was in 7K, the cabin was half empty so my row had no other passengers.

A bit after lunch, I heard someone saying something in the line of "this is business class", and when I looked I saw a FA sending a man back to Y, from seat 7D.

A couple of hours later was the time of a mature woman (60/70 yo maybe), helping herself in the same empty seat. I think she slept there for few hours, then disappeared to come back again some time later. I am quite sure at least one FA saw her sleeping in J but nothing happened until the last meal, when she was (finally?) sent back.

Thinking of that flight, the last row of J - probably because it was only me back there - was a bit neglected by the crew*, so maybe was easier to move there from Y, just a curtain away... but I was wondering if it's common occurrence? Anyone else have seen this?

*Once lunch was over, for the rest of the flight I got only one visit from FA to see if I needed something and that was only a bit before the last meal before arrival. I am reasonably sure no one came anyway when I was sleeping, as the towel from lunch was never collected, and I never received the bottled water.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
It did happen once, on my flight from IST-IAD. Was in J, row 3 aisle, and the seat next to me was empty (at check-in, was pro-actively offered to block the seat next to me as an Elite~nice touch). J-class was about 70% full.

Two late teens/early twenties girls helped themselves to the two center seats in the first row.

The FAs sprung to action and sent them immediately back. I did ask an FA, what happened, and she was very apologetic to me, that this happened. Fantastic service and awesome food, btw!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw it in October on an ICN to IST flight. I'd been invited from Economy to rest in the business class section (was really ill) and whilst I was there a mature Korean man snuck in and popped himself into one of the vacant seats in the last row. He did get asked to leave after about ten minutes. I got the distinct impression that this wasn't the first time he had done something like this.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC 75k, IHG Plat, TK Elite, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, HH Gold
On Toronto - Istanbul flight yesterday, TK flight attendants put signs on each unoccupied Comfort class seat just before take off. I assume they have a lot of issues with economy doing a self upgrade.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by JB0591
On Toronto - Istanbul flight yesterday, TK flight attendants put signs on each unoccupied Comfort class seat just before take off. I assume they have a lot of issues with economy doing a self upgrade.
They did it back then between IST-HKG.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: TK/NH
Originally Posted by JB0591
They also do this on Lufthansa. There's always people helping themselves to the Premium Economy seats. The flight attendants are always very straight-forward: "excuse me, did you pay for this?", and the passengers will go back to their own seats immediately.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: CX MPC Gold, NH Diamond, TK Gold
I experienced once on TK's IST-HKG route and the "self-upgraded" passenger argued with the flight attendant for a very long time! (Ended up some of the business class passengers helped to fight back the passenger.) Several other occasions in different airlines, mainly long haul because of the lie-flat bed??!!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:22 pm

Also witnessed this several times on Turkish Airlines. On flights to Central Asia ex-IST, I have even seen people plunking down straight into a business class seat when boarding, only to be moved on to their assigned Y seat when the actual seat holder arrived with an FA in tow.

I chalked it off to a combination of mentality (let's if I can get away with this....) and inexperience. Some people you see in TK Y cabin may simply not fly very often and may think "hey this seat is empty, I am not taking it away from anyone, what's the big deal?".
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Seat poaching is very common on TK, but I've never had passengers from Y sneaking into J mid-flight. But I could very well imagine it being the case on the newer 77W's with a small 2nd J cabin which often times goes empty.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:26 am

Programs: TK elite plus, Flying Blue platinum, ALL gold, IHG diamond
I've had people sneaking into J on a KTM-IST. Flight. Well, I say sneaking but I actually mean barging in with kids and sitting down in the last few rows, with the crew being perfectly fine with it...
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
I was in... Premium Economy or whatever they call it on LH (pretty sure I didn't get upgraded to J, or I would've noticed), after the meal and lights out, 2 noisy Chinese women self-upgraded into our cabin. Sat in the 1st row chatting away loudly and pissing off quite a few pax including myself (I was 3 rows back and on the aisle seat in the opposite side of the cabin, that's how loud they were) and the Caucasian lady seated behind them. I went to ask the crew if anyone had just purchased an onboard upgrade, they were surprised and said no, then a flight attendant came over to chase the 2 women back to their Y seats.
If they wanted to do it, couldn't they have been less conspicuous?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elpiett
I've had people sneaking into J on a KTM-IST. Flight. Well, I say sneaking but I actually mean barging in with kids and sitting down in the last few rows, with the crew being perfectly fine with it...
Were they served any meals?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.