Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Starting to get worried about my VKO-IST-HKG flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

I've got a trip booked for early May and was about to start looking at Airbnb options, but today's events are very concerning. The tickets are for VKO-IST (2 day stopover) -HKG - IST - VKO and Russian gov't / media is talking about blocking all commercial air traffic between Russia and Turkey. Since they already did just that with Egypt a few weeks ago I'd not be too surprised if the do ban flights to Turkey. Might be a bit too soon to start worrying, but I am just curious how airlines handle things like this. Do they just tell you that you're SOL if the ticket is non-refundable? Refund the ticket price? Try to route through different airports?

Last edited by DiMAn0684; Nov 24, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:48 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
At this stage nobody knows, there is a lot of talk but as of now Russia flights operate as normal.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles Elite Plus
That's a good question. I have non refundable flight with my family for new year in Moscow, also already have a non refundable hotel for a week.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I hope they'd allow you to change flights to HEL/TLL if traffic seizes from Russia.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
If TK cancels the flight, they surely would have to offer a reroute (like on SU).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:16 am

Really? You think they would cooperate with SU under those circumstances?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Well, looks like I will now need a visa...and Medvedev has not officially announced his anti-Turkey measures yet.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
I have flown several times recently on flights that are normally full like TXL-IST and IST-BKK. Some flights operated at 40% capacity. Clearly, many passengers are now avoiding transiting IST and TK will lose much of its traffic to and from Eastern Europe. This should be good for still loyal TK passengers as it should help reduce the arrogance of the airline and force an upgrade of ground services.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Well, looks like I will now need a visa...and Medvedev has not officially announced his anti-Turkey measures yet.
I do not think you will need a visa from Jan 1, 2016, if you are connecting in IST and staying airside.

Moreover, I have just heard that Russia cancelled the visa waiver programs for Turks.
I did not read that Turkey has cancelled the reciprocal program, as well.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Really? You think they would cooperate with SU under those circumstances?
That is a standard operating procedure to reroute passengers if a flight is cancelled.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
That is a standard operating procedure to reroute passengers if a flight is cancelled.
Yes, but this is not your standard cancelled flight. If Russia stops the air traffic from Turkey, SU won't be able to fly to IST either. That's exactly what is going on with Egypt now.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:33 am

Ok, so the sanctions were announced, for now we're OK:

It also ordered the end of chartered flights from Russia to Turkey, and for Russian tourism companies to stop selling vacation packages that would include a stay in Turkey.
Putin's decree also ended visa-free travel between Russia and Turkey and ordered the tightening of control over Turkish air carriers in Russia "for security reasons".
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/1...112138694.html
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Of course it's too early to say anything about May, but TK could re-route you via a lot of options - SVO-HEL-BKK on AY (though AY is OW, less chance of that) or MOW-Europe with a European carrier and further Europe-IST-HKG or even MOW-Europe-HKG on an European carrier all the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.