Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK Elite/Elite Plus: ever got upgraded on other *A carriers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TK Elite/Elite Plus: ever got upgraded on other *A carriers?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Originally Posted by airoli
This is a surprising statement and definitely is against the standard proceedures for LH and SQ at least. You must be very lucky, very famous, or very good looking.
If a systematic academic study were carried out of the factors actually determining upgrades, I believe following standard procedures would be found to be somewhat less important than commonly thought. Social and psychological factors can be very important, especially at smaller out stations staffed by agency employees. There are typically several passengers who meet the criteria for an operational upgrade - staff have to decide who gets the upgrade and it is relevant if they are frequent flyers at that station, polite or strike a chord with the staff member who has the power to reseat. Decisions often get made at the last moment and these leave plenty scope for staff discretion.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by johnirvine
staff have to decide who gets the upgrade
That's certainly how it used to be, and probably how it still is for many carriers - TK in particular comes to mind.

Others however, and the LH Group and SQ are the prime examples here, are working very hard to take any local decision authority out of the process and drive op-ups very stricly by centrally calculated "customer value" algorithms, which result in automatically prioritized upgrade lists for the departure gate.

If you find some outstations that manage to avoid HQ's iron grip, good for you.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:08 pm

I have been upgraded twice on LH one on a transatlantic flight and one on a inter Europe flight.

My wife was upgraded on a transatlantic flight as well.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: Lost all status due to flying less to tackle the climate emergency
Been upgraded on TK a few times. Never on any other airline.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: TK Elite
Not just me but my wife and my brother (same PNR) were all upgraded from paid Economy to Business on a TACA/AVIANCA Flight from GRU to LIM, even better, got upgraded on our way back also, and it quite impressed me.

On our trip to EZE, I got upgraded from paid Premium Economy to Business on our flight back.

I'm an Elite member, Star Alliance Gold.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: TK*G, A3*G
Elite member.

I was on an AC flight from YYZ to TYO and got upgraded to business class at the gate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.