Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get a better booking class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Im trying to book ZRH - IST - ABJ in economy on TK´s website. At the end I see that the booking class is L. Is there any way to get a booking class within economy that generates more miles (ie Y,B,M,H,S,E, or Q)? There just doesnt seem to be any options to pay for a more flexible economy ticket or anything like that.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Yes. It's called a travel agent. They can book any class you want. @:-)

TK's call center may be able to do the same although their agents are a hit and miss.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

You mean like actually walking to a brick and mortar travel agent, or making a booking entirely over the phone. I havent done that in a decade!

Isnt it weird that the service of choosing booking class is not offered online? You are basically lucky if at the end of the process an online travel agent even displays the booking class letter. Or are there online travel agents where you can select booking class? - Ive never seen any.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 2:30 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Martin84
You mean like actually walking to a brick and mortar travel agent, or making a booking entirely over the phone. I havent done that in a decade!
Yes - I do this all the time I do not think there is any online T/A that would let you select a specific booking class.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by TPJ
Yes - I do this all the time I do not think there is any online T/A that would let you select a specific booking class.
Tons of OTA here in Sweden

I asked them for the same question: can I book a flight with different booking class, they said no. I did it once calling TK asking which booking class the have for a particular flight ex-CPH and there was only 1 type - basically same as the OTAs.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Martin84
Im trying to book ZRH - IST - ABJ in economy on TK´s website. At the end I see that the booking class is L. Is there any way to get a booking class within economy that generates more miles (ie Y,B,M,H,S,E, or Q)? There just doesnt seem to be any options to pay for a more flexible economy ticket or anything like that.
There is a way. In the flight selection tab you just have to choose the "Economy flexible" option. Then you get a booking class like B in my test case.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA/Premier 1K, Bonvoy/Titanium

That's not very helpful if you wanted miles but not flexibility. e.g. it's not possible to get Q/S/E/H/M if V is available and B can be prohibitively expensive!
Old Oct 2, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Yeah I found my way to B on TK´s site, noticed the price and passed on that. Instead I called an OTA (Travelpack) who sold me a ticket in Q instead of W. A bit more expensive but worth it to keep Star Alliance Gold Status... I think - still feels weird to deliberately pay more for the same seat.

Maybe this is so rare, so there just is not enough demand to change/select booking class for OTAs to implement such a feature, I dont know...

And too bad about Swedish OTAs (the one I used was UK based). My favourite used to be Travelstart which was Swedish and quite innovative, but now they ve sold it. Here s a story of when the Travelstart founder tries to buy a small OTA in Ireland: http://www.travelstart.co.za/blog/ra...t-stories-930/
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: M&M Sen, M&S Elite
Just for the record, there are of course online travel agents that let you book any booking class you like. These are usually catering to business travel, but anyways. For example, I regularly use "fcm der travel solutions", which seems to be fairly big. Their German site is http://www.de.fcm.travel/, and on that one at least an online booking engine is accessible to the general public. It's a horrible interface, but once you made it to selecting a certain itinerary, all booking classes are conveniently bookable. This one is using a cytric engine, so for sure other OTAs must offer the same. I used HRG a long time ago, which had the same engine, not sure if that's available anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.