Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK Elite to Elite Plus; Segment requirements

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals

Hello all,

I have already re-qualified for TK Elite status, for the following two years, after this Elite status expires (so I believe it'll be from 2017-2019; since my current membership runs from 2015-2017).

1. I was planning to qualify for Elite Plus status, which is TK's top tier status. My question was, it is 40000 status miles the first year, right? Say, if I already have 25k status miles, I'd require 15k status miles more?

2. If I plan to keep re-qualifying for TK Elite status, I believe it is 25k status miles every 2 years (if you qualify in the first year). Were there any TK metal requirements?

3. As a US based flyer, moving soon to Asia, should I aim for E+ status, and what extra benefit does it entail me, besides the UG vouchers that I can use on TK metal?

I primarily fly long-haul in paid J, so qualifying in one or two round-trips is possible. Within the US, and Japan/India, I fly Y, and that is when *G comes in really handy.

Edited to add: if you buy a LH ticket, with 3 LH segments and 1 UA segment, all in J, the miles would be credited according to TK's LH chart, right?

Any advice/suggestions/tips will be highly appreciated! Cheers and safe flying!

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Jul 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:51 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
1. Wrong. You will need 80,000 miles to qualify for E+. It's 40,000 to re-qualify if you have achieved E+.

2. No metal requirement

3. IMHO there is only a marginal difference between E and E+, other than the upgrades

Last question: Not all LH business class fares qualify for TK M&S, anything booked into P earns a big fat zero. P on UA earns 100%.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
How do status mile earning in J compare to Y?

Does it depend on share bucket because it seems inconstant when I have checked.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by starflyergold
1. Wrong. You will need 80,000 miles to qualify for E+. It's 40,000 to re-qualify if you have achieved E+.

2. No metal requirement

3. IMHO there is only a marginal difference between E and E+, other than the upgrades

Last question: Not all LH business class fares qualify for TK M&S, anything booked into P earns a big fat zero. P on UA earns 100%.
If you fly long haul primarily with TK then E+ is worth getting, besides upgrading most expensive J segments (IST - North America), you get to use sleeping rooms at CIP and arrival lounge as well as fast track immigration on the left end of the terminal even flying Y.

Also your status can be upgraded based on the last 12 months of activities so plan accordingly, 1 US/Canada - East Asia revenue J trip on TK alone will rack up over 30000 miles, with low CAD$, YYZ - HKG is well below $3000US at the moment. If you just flew some 20000 miles recently you might need just 60000 miles, check your status upgrade notice under "Operation" when logging in.

Last edited by vincewy; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:33 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

2. No metal requirement

Thank you starflyergold. Thanks for letting me know! wHOOAAA, THAT WAS A MAJOR CAVEAT THAT I avoided! Yeppp, it was Business (P). It is so weird that a revenue J won't earn status miles!

Originally Posted by vincewy
If you fly long haul primarily with TK then E+ is worth getting, besides upgrading most expensive J segments (IST - North America), you get to use sleeping rooms at CIP and arrival lounge as well as fast track immigration on the left end of the terminal even flying Y.

Also your status can be upgraded based on the last 12 months of activities so plan accordingly, 1 US/Canada - East Asia revenue J trip on TK alone will rack up over 30000 miles, with low CAD$, YYZ - HKG is well below $3000US at the moment. If you just flew some 20000 miles recently you might need just 60000 miles, check your status upgrade notice under "Operation" when logging in.
I think I'll be needing about 54k status miles for E+. Still considering if it's the best bet for me! Or if I should just keep renewing Elite!?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Question: 1. if it's an LH operated flight, marketed and sold by UA, with UA flight nos., UAXXXX, the earning structure will be based off of UA's earning chart on TK's website, right?

2. if it's an AC flight, with AC flight nos., sold by UA (with AC flight nos. on the ticket, ex. ACXX), will it still be UA earning chart (sold through UA channel) or AC earning chart (operated by AC, and AC flight nos. on the ticket)?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Question: 1. if it's an LH operated flight, marketed and sold by UA, with UA flight nos., UAXXXX, the earning structure will be based off of UA's earning chart on TK's website, right?

2. if it's an AC flight, with AC flight nos., sold by UA (with AC flight nos. on the ticket, ex. ACXX), will it still be UA earning chart (sold through UA channel) or AC earning chart (operated by AC, and AC flight nos. on the ticket)?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:40 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

The operating metal counts: LH operated = LH earning (or lack thereof), AC operated = AC earning
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:44 am
Original Poster

The operating metal counts: LH operated = LH earning (or lack thereof), AC operated = AC earning
Thank you starflyergold. Appreciate the input!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Quick question, don't know if anybody has ever tried this: do you earn status miles on 9W (Jet Airways) of India?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Quick question, don't know if anybody has ever tried this: do you earn status miles on 9W (Jet Airways) of India?
From the 9W page on Miles&Smiles website:
Members will earn Bonus Miles on Jet Airways flights.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by airoli
From the 9W page on Miles&Smiles website:
Bonus miles is not elite miles right?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:44 am

Bonus miles are not counted as status miles, no, but can be used for redemption etc.

My own question, perhaps off topic:
When re-qualifying for Elite Plus within the first year, earning 120K status miles in one year, 80K for Elite Plus status & 40K re qualify, Whats the RE-QUALIFIED Elite Plus expiry ? Is it as simple as current expiry date + 2 more years, or less ?
Tnx
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: FB platinum, M&S elite+, M&B gold
Exactly, current expiry+2 years
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TlvLove
Bonus miles are not counted as status miles, no, but can be used for redemption etc.

My own question, perhaps off topic:
When re-qualifying for Elite Plus within the first year, earning 120K status miles in one year, 80K for Elite Plus status & 40K re qualify, Whats the RE-QUALIFIED Elite Plus expiry ? Is it as simple as current expiry date + 2 more years, or less ?
Tnx

Apologies for bumping up my old thread, but didn't want to start a new one:

In the first year, to upgrade from Elite to Elite Plus, do you need 80k status miles in total, or 120k.

Per my understanding:

Elite Renewal:

Elite year: 2015-2017
2015: 25k, or
2015&2016: 37.5k

Elite to Elite Plus upgrade:

Elite year: 2015-2017
2015: 80k, or
2015&2016: ??

So if I earn 80k in the first year, what happens in 2017? Do I then need 40k miles for renewal, or do I drop down to Elite, and start from 0 to 80k? If I want to keep Elite Plus, do I need 120k miles in 2015, then requalify with the 40k miles requirement?

Thanks much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.