Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

TK fares on website - Are they more expensive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au

After searching around, I've started noticing that the fares offered on TK's website is significantly more expensive than those offered by travel agents and other website for flights originating from Asia.

Is this normal?
How do you typically look for better fare deals on TK?
Old May 25, 2015, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
This is also my experience for TK flights from Europe. The same flights, booking class, etc is somehow cheaper with many OTAs. I just book there.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Same here - I haven't booked a single flight at thy.com since 2013.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:44 am

Yeah, I too noticed this the other week. Booked a PVG-IST-HAM return flight in J for around RMB20,000 — that's EUR 2940. The TK website wanted RMB33,000, which is EUR 4845.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once I saw on my TK ticket bought from OTA ex-CPH, it said the ticket is issued from TK Munich office - so I guess the OTA is able to ticket it via another TK office for lower prices.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I think the fares themselves should be the same. The TK website just doesn't price tickets to the lowest available fare.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: TK E+, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star, Sixt Platinum
Lowest Fares

Originally Posted by duvin
I think the fares themselves should be the same. The TK website just doesn't price tickets to the lowest available fare.
Exactly. If you call and ask for the lowest fare you would hit the same number.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by travelgo
Interesting.

So calling to ask is best way to get the lowest fare.

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry given this.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: TK E+, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star, Sixt Platinum
Fares

The software needs to be updated badly. You cannot specify fare classes. Most of the time, in my experience, the prices are very close or the same. In rare occasions calling is the best option. I would recommend calling them if you are getting different prices.
Old May 26, 2015, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelgo
Tried - can't match the number the OTA quoted me. They are the same as you see on thy.com
Old May 26, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Thanks for this heads up. I had the same experience on Sunday with QR. Their website charge was higher than on Travelocity - same flights on the same dates. I have heard the same story from colleagues.- so do OTAs, BUT check both first and make sure you are comparing the same flights, the same days and the same seats as sometimes certain seats cost extra on some airlines: example MH charges extra for seat selection.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by tmac100
Thanks for this heads up. I had the same experience on Sunday with QR. Their website charge was higher than on Travelocity - same flights on the same dates. I have heard the same story from colleagues.- so do OTAs, BUT check both first and make sure you are comparing the same flights, the same days and the same seats as sometimes certain seats cost extra on some airlines: example MH charges extra for seat selection.
Although TK often charges in euros or dollars depending on the origin and destination points, depending on your routing (and your credit card's foreign transaction fee policy) you can enjoy some success with paying in TL.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:07 am

... not to mention that tk.com charges a booking fee ... so it is always cheaper to book from even expedia/orbitz etc
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:17 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by scibuff
... not to mention that tk.com charges a booking fee ... so it is always cheaper to book from even expedia/orbitz etc
While I still enjoy flying TK overall, their website is awful and a scam.

Seat assignment selection and viewing is still not available for TA-issued or other *A website bookings. Lame.

The fares on THY.com are nearly always higher than everywhere else and as other have mentioned, I can not select a higher fare level to earn miles in my home FF program. Lame again. I want to pay more, why would TK not want that?

I have gotten around using THY.com for 2 years now by using orbitz.com, expedia.ca (to avoid FX fees on my card) and, wait for it, united.ca or united.com. While united.com has a terrible reputation, it does permit searches by specific fare category and recognizes most, but not all, airports that TK serves.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:07 pm
fadynaime

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold
I have been looking at open jaw tickets with the help of some folks here. for what I consider a bit of a complicated reservation, to you guys it might be simple, lol.

I've noticed that when looking at refundable tickets, prices are very comparable between Ttk.com and others like travelocity. if you are looking for the cheapest no refund or change, then travelocity is cheaper, as others mentioned, based on what tickets you get.

so far I've always booked on tk.com, figured it would be easier to make changes (since you can't call TK to make a change or update if you didn't buy from them), but I've ignored the fact that I know TK customer service is horrible. so that is finally sinking in and dealing with travelocity or anyone else might be easier.

its unfortunate (kind of) that the deciding factor on where I buy my ticket is not the price, but the customer service. lol, I think that coupled with Comfort going away next year. will be the final straw for me to switch airlines.
price is not cheap, quality of service in air or phone is not good. ground services is comparable on my routes. the advantage a reasonably priced comfort class is gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.