Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Use of 45k TK Miles

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Best Use of 45k TK Miles

I have a few flight options available this weekend to me. I have enough miles for either one way flight to/from IST or to upgrade one segment. That being said, which plane would be best to upgrade on?

BOS-IST A340
ORD-IST 77B
SFO-IST 77B
IST-KUL A330

I am based in DC so leaning towards IAD-IST-KUL, that and the light load factor over Memorial Day weekend. Not to mention, the ORD and SFO flights are almost $200 more in addition of cost of repositioning. Just not sure if worth upgrading the IST-KUL, especially after visiting the CIP lounge in IST during my 5 hours layover.

Any thoughts? I always wanted to use the miles for a long, long haul flight like LAX or on the new 777 out of JFK but alas no availability. Not to mention, flying westbound is a longer flight physically and mentally as it is a day flight in most instance.

There, I'm done thinking about it and wanted to gather some advice on experience from the flights mentioned.
Old May 22, 2015, 12:32 am

The flights from BOS, IAD and ORD all leave very late.

If you want to enjoy the great f&b service and since you want long, long haul I'd fly from SFO or IAH.

The 777 is also a more pleasent experience.
Old May 22, 2015, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Not sure whether it's worth it - but I was on a refurbished 777 (I sat in Y) - I saw the seat config for C is 2-3-2, basically same width as CC but just more 'legroom' and bigger screen. I was quite disappointed as I'll be flying C to IAH in December.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Thanks for the insights. My ideal situation would be to use on a newer plane like 330 or 777 without Premium Economy so I could upgrade directly to Business and on a westbound day flight. IST-SFO seems the best for that. I have found my best sleep in Y was in relation to the later the departure, the more chance of sleeping. Having taken a 6p departure before, sleep seemed impossible! At the same time, I am old school in thinking that middle seats do not belong in premium cabins.

Additionally, my experience has been lacking on Europe - Asia flights. Felt more like crew just going through the motions as opposed to Transatlantic and Transpacific flights.

As it costs same amount of miles to upgrade as it does to book an award for one segment, I might just save the miles for the return.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Delta Flyer
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Thanks for the insights. My ideal situation would be to use on a newer plane like 330 or 777 without Premium Economy so I could upgrade directly to Business and on a westbound day flight. IST-SFO seems the best for that. I have found my best sleep in Y was in relation to the later the departure, the more chance of sleeping. Having taken a 6p departure before, sleep seemed impossible! At the same time, I am old school in thinking that middle seats do not belong in premium cabins.

Additionally, my experience has been lacking on Europe - Asia flights. Felt more like crew just going through the motions as opposed to Transatlantic and Transpacific flights.

As it costs same amount of miles to upgrade as it does to book an award for one segment, I might just save the miles for the return.
Definitely go with business class.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:23 pm

SFO for sure
Old May 25, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Don't bother with upgrading, just book a regular one-way award ticket and use miles from another program to book the homeward leg. I'd say SFO-IST is the best use of those miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.