Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Question about renewal of Elite Status (*G)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm a first year elite through a status match and am wondering how the renewal works.

If I received Elite status on Jan 1/15, it is valid for 2 years (Dec 31/16). If I get 20k miles in the first year, when is my status renewed until?

Is it renewed for 2 years from the end of the first 2 years so until Dec 31/18?
Or is it from the end of the first year until Dec 31/17?
Or from the time I hit 20k miles?

Thanks!
DJ
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, IHG Ambassador
It is renewed after current two years is completed. I also completed my renewal requirement during first year.

Example I have following line on my mileage statement 3.8.2014 Card criteria have been fulfilled and my current Elite membership expire date is 31.7.2015.

Card renewal states "Congratulations! You have already achieved the required criteria for Elite re-qualification. Your Elite membership will automatically be renewed on the expiry date of your card for another 2 years."
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by exs2
It is renewed after current two years is completed. I also completed my renewal requirement during first year.

Example I have following line on my mileage statement 3.8.2014 Card criteria have been fulfilled and my current Elite membership expire date is 31.7.2015.

Card renewal states "Congratulations! You have already achieved the required criteria for Elite re-qualification. Your Elite membership will automatically be renewed on the expiry date of your card for another 2 years."
I'm pretty happy about my new status match, with only one more TATL trip to book, I will re-qualify in October, and will be good until 2019! I won't have to worry at all about chasing status. BTW it is 25K for being outside Turkey.

ZT
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hey All - called TK's call centre and they mentioned something different. They said we are renewed for 2 years based on the date we re-qualify.

Ex. If we hit 25k miles on Oct 1 of 15, we are renewed for 2 years based on that date, so Sept 30 17.

Could it be that the person I spoke to doesn't know what they are talking about?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: TK E+ | HHD | Marriott TE LTG | etc.
Your Elite status will automatically be renewed for another 2 years after the expiration date of current card. This situation explained on Turkish site of M&S clearly but English site is not clear enough.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: TK*G
Sorry for bumping up this old thread!

Say that one hits the re-qualification threshold at 25K during 2014, status would be renewed say from the expiry date of 12/2015 to 12/2017, correct? My question is then if he or she is to credit at least 25K miles during 2015, would status then be extended to 12/2019? And if so, would the expiry date be extended once more to 12/2021 for crediting another 25K miles during 2016? Or do status miles no longer accumulate until after the current "status period" has run out, so the earliest re-qualification period would begin on 1/2016?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by State of Trance
Sorry for bumping up this old thread!
Say that one hits the re-qualification threshold at 25K during 2014, status would be renewed say from the expiry date of 12/2015 to 12/2017, correct?
Correct. Double check your status under "Operation" > "Card Renewal".

Originally Posted by State of Trance
My question is then if he or she is to credit at least 25K miles during 2015, would status then be extended to 12/2019? And if so, would the expiry date be extended once more to 12/2021 for crediting another 25K miles during 2016? Or do status miles no longer accumulate until after the current "status period" has run out, so the earliest re-qualification period would begin on 1/2016?
You can not build years this way (else many people here would have the status until 2030). Once you meet the threshold during first year, second year will be considered dead year. You'll have to wait until 12/2015 to build another 2 years to 12/2017.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
You can not build years this way (else many people here would have the status until 2030). Once you meet the threshold during first year, second year will be considered dead year. You'll have to wait until 12/2015 to build another 2 years to 12/2017.
That makes much more sense. I was going to say that TK re-qualification sounded way too good to be true.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: TK G,UA *S
So if the status is valid until 3/2017 I fail to see any incentive to hurry up to requalify in the first year by flying 25k?is there any incentive?

Last edited by flymexico2010; Apr 13, 2015 at 2:56 pm
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: TK Elite *A Gold, Air Berlin Gold - One World Sapphire, Westjet Gold, Avis Preferred, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vincewy
Correct. Double check your status under "Operation" > "Card Renewal".

With all due respect both statements above are not entirely correct. For may example, my Elite status was awarded 01/15 valid through 01/17. I will re-qualify with more than 25K by 10/15. I will have met my re-qualification within the first year WHICH will come into effect when my PRESENT card expires 01/17. I will be then good for my new period from 01/17 - 01/19. Hope that makes it a bit more clear for people.

Cheers,

ZT
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
So if the status is valid until 3/2017 I fail to see any incentive to hurry up to requalify in the first year by flying 25k?is there any incentive?
First year 25k/2 years 37.5k. If you have 25k certain miles, you might as well make it, then after that you can feel free to run another programme or burn your points/credit your miles to another FFP.

If you are travelling solely on Y like me, there might be a chance that TK devalue their miles (again)/adjust the requirement for re-qualification in the future so that you might end up having to pay more/fly more to get the same amount of miles.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by nacho
First year 25k/2 years 37.5k. If you have 25k certain miles, you might as well make it, then after that you can feel free to run another programme or burn your points/credit your miles to another FFP.

If you are travelling solely on Y like me, there might be a chance that TK devalue their miles (again)/adjust the requirement for re-qualification in the future so that you might end up having to pay more/fly more to get the same amount of miles.
TK awarding 100% mileage for just about all discounted UA fares seems too good to last.

Luckily for me, I don't think the 100% on (Flexi Saver and above) SQ fares is going anywhere though.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
TK is not awarding 100% miles on all UA fares anymore. Check the changes on March 9th.
The same valid for Asiana.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by zontar2010
With all due respect both statements above are not entirely correct. For may example, my Elite status was awarded 01/15 valid through 01/17. I will re-qualify with more than 25K by 10/15. I will have met my re-qualification within the first year WHICH will come into effect when my PRESENT card expires 01/17. I will be then good for my new period from 01/17 - 01/19. Hope that makes it a bit more clear for people.

Cheers,

ZT
Oops, sorry for the confusion. Yes, I meant extended until 12/2019 since your status is already valid until 12/2017.

Originally Posted by nacho
They have even devalued J accruals last June. That's the reason to start flying as soon as your new 2-year membership begins and get to meet requalification ASAP before devaluing miles further and/or upping the requalification thresholds. My next E+ membership begins in October this year and I am planning to get all 40000 miles before Christmas.

Also the main benefit of dead years (those FFP renewed every 2 years) - you can spend little and redeem the vouchers and miles accrued, rather than scrambling toward the end of the year to do crazy mileage runs.

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 14, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by flymexico2010
TK is not awarding 100% miles on all UA fares anymore. Check the changes on March 9th.
The same valid for Asiana.
Good thing my last UA flight was March 7th then

Was OZ ever 100% earning across the board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.