Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bazaar Airline?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Bazaar Airline?

24 hour prior to a flight, it is canceled due to a snow storm! Unheard of... Is TK using the "extraordinary circumstances" even before they happen to cancel unprofitable flıghts?? For example.. A flight from LHR was canceled while the other one, 4 hours earlier, went ahead (and that's a decision taken more than 24 hour earlier). I sense some Bazaar dealing here!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
http://www.turkishairlines.com/downl..._ingilizce.pdf
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by beduin
24 hour prior to a flight, it is canceled due to a snow storm! Unheard of... Is TK using the "extraordinary circumstances" even before they happen to cancel unprofitable flıghts?? For example.. A flight from LHR was canceled while the other one, 4 hours earlier, went ahead (and that's a decision taken more than 24 hour earlier). I sense some Bazaar dealing here!
I'm assuming no pun was intended with Bazaar (since Turkey, the country, is a bit famous for those, wasn't sure)? The spelling you want in Bizarre if that's the case.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, SPG Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, TK Gold, QR Platinum, WY Sinbad Gold, SV Alfursan Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'm assuming no pun was intended with Bazaar (since Turkey, the country, is a bit famous for those, wasn't sure)? The spelling you want in Bizarre if that's the case.
I intended to use "bazaar" to express my dissatisfaction with TKs dodgy dealings.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:30 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
There is nothing questionable about this. Turkey experienced yesterday and today some major storm systems hampering air and sea travel.

http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/2...rm-in-istanbul
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
There is nothing questionable about this. Turkey experienced yesterday and today some major storm systems hampering air and sea travel.

http://www.dailysabah.com/istanbul/2...rm-in-istanbul
Even if this was the case, canceling selective flights from one destination is questionable. I landed yesterday 5pm and departed 7pm and all went fine except for the usual bumpy ride you experience anywhere. If this was truley the case, cancelations should have occured accross the board for a specific period of time. Why one flight and not the other e.g. LHR had one flight canceled and the other departing. Btw.. The decision to cancel was taken on the morning of 30th jan.. More than 24 hrs prior to take off!

My explanation is that weather was just a cover up to save money on unprofitable flights. It was a seat number forecast rather than weather.

Last edited by beduin; Feb 1, 2015 at 2:08 am
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:29 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
That is not how it works, at any airport. Bad weather increases the space need between aircraft landing and taking off. ATC mandates this depending on the forecasts. Airlines then cancel flights accordingly, usually prioritising long haul to take off and short haul cancelled. If there are multiple flights to one destination it makes sense to cancel one of these.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of us act bizarre in a bazaar, OP is learning something new, welcome to FT.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

How is this "unheard of",seems to hapend evry day,I had a flight from EWR to IAH(UA) cancelled more than 24 hrs before departure last Wednesday bcs of the east coast storm,the weather was actually fine at take of time,and the long hauls did leave,so its abviously a question of priorities.On the other hand,-is TK a "bazar" airline,-absolutely,they do not even need an excuse to cancel,they cancel flights with very low loads withouth any excuse needed!!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
That is not how it works, at any airport. Bad weather increases the space need between aircraft landing and taking off. ATC mandates this depending on the forecasts. Airlines then cancel flights accordingly, usually prioritising long haul to take off and short haul cancelled. If there are multiple flights to one destination it makes sense to cancel one of these.
Lets say your explanation is correct. TK would have spared themselves the dissatisfaction of their pax if they actually had a robust customer service. I was left to sort out their mess my self:

1- I found out that my flight was canceled through a third party (Tripcase.com)
2- At first they refused to put me on flights that were operating that day, only after long phone calls (some of which went to a useless call center in India) that included Islamic praise, prayers and duaa did they agree.

It still is a Bazaar airline however you look at it.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

For those who don't know what I meant by "Bazaar".. I learned never to shop in a bazaar.. You constantly are bullied by shop owners and usually offered overpriced goods. To me TK has some Bazaar policies in their books.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who don't know what I meant by "Bazaar".. I learned never to shop in a bazaar.. You constantly are bullied by shop owners and usually offered overpriced goods. To me TK has some Bazaar policies in their books.
We have all had issues like this where flights are cancelled due to weather conditions, so we work with the airline to help us out, in terms of re-accommodating us on the next flight.
Keep in mind Beduin, there are other options for you if you don't care for TK, there is QR, EK and ET, they seem to fly their planes in extreme snowstorms and they don't partake in bazaars.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:50 am

To me TK has some Bazaar policies in their books.
Considering you are LH SEN, QR PLAT, GF GOLD and SV Gold, which indicates that you are flying 300k+ miles a year, I am surprised that an IRROP and as a result an overloaded call center leads you to the conclusion that TK is a "bazaar" airline.

With the amount of flights you take, you should have experienced such a situation with most airlines.

While I am not apologetic about TKs admittedly poor to non existent customer service, I have experienced poor customer service during IRROPS even from LH SEN or UA 1K service centers.

It is also not unusual to find out about a schedule changes via a third party software, as they push the latest flight updates directly to your phone, while the airline still might figure out how to best accommodate you on another flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.