Wiki Posts
Search

No security check during transfer at IST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:19 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dvs7310
May only be for certain flights, IAD and LHR perhaps. I've never had a gate screening at ADD but my connections were either to another African destination or returning to one of ET's Asian gateways. For most flights, it's just the central security screening or none at all if they send you up the jetway on your connection. Having said that, I still go out to the *G lounge which is outside security so the offer to bypass security does me no good unless my connection is very short.
Ah, that's probably what it was; I reckon RUH merits a second screening.
Is there only one CloudNine lounge? I tried searching for a second, but that was just to waste time.

Back to IST, what is the procedure for US/Canada/UK-bound flights these days? Extra security at the gate still?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Ah, that's probably what it was; I reckon RUH merits a second screening.
Is there only one CloudNine lounge? I tried searching for a second, but that was just to waste time.

Back to IST, what is the procedure for US/Canada/UK-bound flights these days? Extra security at the gate still?
ADD has indeed a 2nd new Cloud Nine,opposite to the old one.

Allthough word has it,that it is only for ET Elites & J PAX .
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Have no idea about US/UK, but when I was going to YYZ in Dec - board was showing go to gate about 2 hours prior to departure when I landed. I ignored and went to the lounge for a while. When at the gate, no extra bag checks, however, we boarded at one of the gates where you have to go down an escalator first - cordoned off in a weird way to walk you through a certain path and there were about 4 BP/doc checks before being allowed into the waiting area. IIRC, these were all contracted/security checks and not TK staff.

I am wondering about TLV though - traveling there in April and wondering about any extra security before boarding there and if extra time is needed.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I am wondering about TLV though - traveling there in April and wondering about any extra security before boarding there and if extra time is needed.
Do you mean in TLV? No extra security before boarding, but of course you need to present yourself at the airport early. A new security system was recently introduced that is supposed to make things more efficient. Hand luggage is screened between check in and passport control (as is usual).

In IST, however, I found flights to TLV to include an extra level of document checking at the gate.

Shuly

Last edited by shuly; Mar 5, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by moeser
ADD has indeed a 2nd new Cloud Nine,opposite to the old one.

Allthough word has it,that it is only for ET Elites & J PAX .
Thanks for that, moeser. How new is it?

I went to the original Cloud Nine three months ago - surprised that they let me in with an SV boarding pass - and wondered if there was a grander lounge that I was missing.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Has anyone had any recent observations about this? Was it a fluke thing, or does it seem to be a trend for them?

(I am a little worried about my connections for my flights this summer...)
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I went to the original Cloud Nine three months ago - surprised that they let me in with an SV boarding pass - and wondered if there was a grander lounge that I was missing.
The "new" Cloud Nine lounge opened in late 2012. I wouldn't call it any special, in fact it was a pretty poor lounge at least in terms of the seating and interior. A small windowless room with fluorescent lightning and some leather armchairs. There was a hot food section and an acceptable amount of beverages on offer, but I wouldn't spend more time than necessary at this lounge.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:40 am

I only saw the new one through the window of the old one.It is right behind the old one and seems bigger,brighter & more airy.

I was told that this one would be for Ethiopian Airlines Status Members & J Pax only.

P.S.That was in February.The lounge seemed pretty new.Will have a closer look this time.

I'll be flying from ADD at the end of this month and report back then.

Originally Posted by LH4116
The "new" Cloud Nine lounge opened in late 2012. I wouldn't call it any special, in fact it was a pretty poor lounge at least in terms of the seating and interior. A small windowless room with fluorescent lightning and some leather armchairs. There was a hot food section and an acceptable amount of beverages on offer, but I wouldn't spend more time than necessary at this lounge.
I'm living in ADD since June last year and have no recollection of such a lounge here. Fortunately

The Cloud Nine I'm using has a silent area to the right,drinks are in the middle ( no wine though ).On the left side there is a food +another sitting area.Both have windows towards the rear.

Last edited by moeser; Apr 16, 2014 at 6:46 am
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:32 am

Hmm...that sounds like the one I "tested" out. Have any photos of either of the lounges?
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:44 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Hmm...that sounds like the one I "tested" out. Have any photos of either of the lounges?

I recall this being the lounge that I visited. There are three lounges at ADD, one for Cloud Nine only e.g the one shown above, one for Star Alliance Gold card holders, and one unmanned lounge for Sheba Miles Silver. I didn't have time to visit the other lounges.

The full report of my Ethiopian Airlines experience can be found here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:11 am

I recall this being the lounge that I visited. There are three lounges at ADD, one for Cloud Nine only e.g the one shown above, one for Star Alliance Gold card holders, and one unmanned lounge for Sheba Miles Silver. I didn't have time to visit the other lounges.

The full report of my Ethiopian Airlines experience can be found here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html
OT . Nice trip report .
Old May 24, 2014, 4:41 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Back to the original subject

For the first time I experienced 'EU one stop security' yesterday. After arriving we were bussed to a dedicated area (next to gates 300 and above) - only our B/Passes were checked - no baggage x-ray was performed. I was in the lounge 15 minutes after arrival. KUDOS TO TK!
Old May 24, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Back to the original subject

For the first time I experienced 'EU one stop security' yesterday. After arriving we were bussed to a dedicated area (next to gates 300 and above) - only our B/Passes were checked - no baggage x-ray was performed. I was in the lounge 15 minutes after arrival. KUDOS TO TK!
From where did you fly and to where were you going?
Old May 24, 2014, 9:47 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by sliiide
From where did you fly and to where were you going?
VIE-IST-BKK. I guess it would not work on the way back...
Old May 25, 2014, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
VIE-IST-BKK. I guess it would not work on the way back...
Why do they do it? turkey is not in the schengen area.

It hasn't happened to me when I've flown EDI-iST-CMB this year - both times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.