Search

What's the best for earning more miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & Smiles
What's the best for earning more miles

Hi all,

I have Miles&Smiles membership and trying to get Gold card as soon as possible as similar to what many people are trying to do. I am living in Belgium and frequently travelling to US or Asia. My upcoming trip is to San Diego at the end of March and trying to find out which airways should I choose to get the most miles. When I use mileage calculator in Miles&Smiles, I see that I can only get 1000 miles if I book it in Economy class, which I find very low. My question is, does earning miles change from one airliner to another? For example, I can book the same flight from United Airlines as well. Supposing that the costs are exactly the same, would I earn the same miles? The question is valid for Lufthansa as well.
thank you
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:12 am

The easiest, and potentially the cheapest, way is booking semi-flexible (Q class) tickets with TK. They are usually around $1000 for a round-trip between Europe and the US. 3 round-trip IST-LAX flights already get you elite membership from 0. Don't book discount economy with LH as you will get 0 miles. United is slightly better, you usually get 50 or 75%. However, the best redemption value is still flying TK in Q class.

Last edited by max_kolesne; Feb 13, 2019 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by max_kolesne
The easiest way is booking semi-flexible (Q class) tickets with TK. They are usually around $1000 for a round-trip between Europe and the US. 3 round-trip IST-LAX flights already get you elite membership from 0. Don't book discount economy with LH as you will get 0 miles. United is slightly better, you usually get 50 or 75%. However, the best redemption value is still flying TK in Q class.
Thanks, let me check the prices.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:47 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk dolevo!

Yes, earning varies by airline and by the booking class of your ticket. You can see a detailed list, by airline, here:
https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-i...ers/index.html

Shuly
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
TAP have some ridiculously cheap Business Class fares to North America.

I wouldn't necessarily fly in Q via IST to North America. It's good for those of us who upgrade and want both status and redeemable miles, but a rather long routing when actually sat at the back of the bus.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

The issue with THY is that it takes about 24 hours to get to San Diego from Brussels. Never flied with TAP before.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:31 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Avoid LH operated flights as many fare buckets earn very little (at the lower economy end, and P in business which earns a generous zero). SN is also pretty useless for Miles&Smiles members. If you fly to Asia try to route via IST with TK.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

I can't seem to select SAN as destination airport in Turkish Airlines website. Don't they fly there or don't they give a connected flight with other member airliners?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by dolevo
I can't seem to select SAN as destination airport in Turkish Airlines website. Don't they fly there or don't they give a connected flight with other member airliners?
they fly to LAX, and then there is a San Diego shuttle that, I believe, TK organizes.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If I were you and want to fly on a premium cabin, try flying SWISS to LAX via ZRH on Business or fly Lufthansa on Premium Economy to SAN via FRA. N-class fares in Lufthansa are really cheap and they give %100 miles for the route flown on Premium Economy and as the short flight from BRU to FRA would be booked on Y fare class, you would earn 1000 miles for that short flight. If you have the chance I would suggest you to buy BRU-MUC-FRA-SAN-FRA-MUC-BRU in one single ticket. Just check for two stopover options if you want extra 2000 miles for the same price. This would cost around €1000 to €1200.

If you want to fly Economy, I wouldn't prefer flying TK on semi-flexible for €1000 for %50 of the miles, indeed you could fly with United via EWR or IAD and choose your fare bucket while booking on united.com. If 75% miles for all legs would satisfy, this would cost around €700-800.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
If I were you and want to fly on a premium cabin, try flying SWISS to LAX via ZRH on Business or fly Lufthansa on Premium Economy to SAN via FRA. N-class fares in Lufthansa are really cheap and they give %100 miles for the route flown on Premium Economy and as the short flight from BRU to FRA would be booked on Y fare class, you would earn 1000 miles for that short flight. If you have the chance I would suggest you to buy BRU-MUC-FRA-SAN-FRA-MUC-BRU in one single ticket. Just check for two stopover options if you want extra 2000 miles for the same price. This would cost around €1000 to €1200.

If you want to fly Economy, I wouldn't prefer flying TK on semi-flexible for €1000 for %50 of the miles, indeed you could fly with United via EWR or IAD and choose your fare bucket while booking on united.com. If 75% miles for all legs would satisfy, this would cost around €700-800.
TK semi-flexible (Q) issues 100% of the miles, not 50%.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by max_kolesne

TK semi-flexible (Q) issues 100% of the miles, not 50%.
Oops sorry, I was confused with Lufthansa Q. You're right.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
http://wheretocredit.com/ has a handy calculator that shows how many miles each award program would give you for a given flight. You probably just want the TK output but it will easily let you compare flights with different carriers to help you make the best choice.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Don't forget SAS premium economy ("SAS Plus") which earns 150% on TK! I see some dates in March for $1500, but only to LAX though.

Another potentially good option going to Asia is Business R fare on Air China which earns 125% and can be quite cheap.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:41 am
Original Poster

I traveled to Boston from Munich in December 2018 and I got 1920 miles from Lufthansa in Y class, for which Turkish Airlines gives 125%. I find this very low!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.