Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am quite confused about renewal of GE and Nexus for Canadian citizens and I have a technical question: If a Canadian citizen renew GE online but not Nexus, will he get acceptance to GE then enjoying all GE benefits, even though, his Nexus card is not renewed OR GE won't be renewed unless Nexus is renewed?
It's the first scenario. If you renew GE you will get GE but you will NOT have the option to renew Nexus in GOES and your Nexus card will eventually expire. Don't make the same mistake I did: renew Nexus and forget GE. Nexus grants all the privileges of GE and more. No need to have GE if you have Nexus.

nrg
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:40 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by chollie
Interesting. The link says no passport is required for NEXUS. That's a surprise - I've always heard that although a passport isn't necessary to enter Canada by land if you have NEXUS, it's a good idea to have it along 'just in case'.
It's a good idea to have it in case the Nexus lanes are closed.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
I am quite confused about renewal of GE and Nexus for Canadian citizens and I have a technical question: If a Canadian citizen renew GE online but not Nexus, will he get acceptance to GE then enjoying all GE benefits, even though, his Nexus card is not renewed OR GE won't be renewed unless Nexus is renewed?
I thought that Canadian citizens cannot be GE members, just enjoy the benefits through their Nexus membership. At least that's what CBP/CBSA claim.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 10:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by greglvnv
I thought that Canadian citizens cannot be GE members, just enjoy the benefits through their Nexus membership. At least that's what CBP/CBSA claim.
Correct.
Eligibility for Global Entry

Are You Eligible?

U.S. citizens, U.S. lawful permanent residents and citizens of the following countries are eligible for Global Entry membership:

• Citizens of Colombia
  • Citizens of United Kingdom
  • Citizens of Germany
  • Citizens of the Netherlands
  • Citizens of Panama
  • Citizens of Singapore
  • Citizens of South Korea
  • Mexican nationals

Note: There may be additional requirements you must meet depending on your country of citizenship. To find out if additional requirements must be met, select an International Arrangement and your country of citizenship.

Canadian citizens and residents are eligible for Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program.

<snip>
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by TWA884
So how come GE can be renewed while Nexus has expired!! That should't happen. GE and Nexus for Canadian citizens are linked benefit. So if nexus is not renewed then GE does not get activated. Am I right?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 8:23 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
So how come GE can be renewed while Nexus has expired!! That should't happen. GE and Nexus for Canadian citizens are linked benefit. So if nexus is not renewed then GE does not get activated. Am I right?
Canadian citizens who are not dual citizens of the countries listed in my earlier post are not eligible to apply for Global Entry. They do, however, receive the benefits of the Global Entry program through their membership in the NEXUS program.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by nrgiii
I may have found away around the "can't renew Nexus if you renew GE first" problem. Instead of waiting for my Nexus card to expire, I mailed in a paper renewal application (download from the CBSA site) to the Niagara Falls processing center about a month before Nexus expires. The CBSA site says renewing with paper is allowed.
nrg
I can confirm that renewing Nexus with a paper application works as I have just been approved for renewal in GOES with no interview required. Note that I did NOT wait until my Nexus card expired to apply for renewal.

Also, as previously stated, my application did not show up in GOES until it was approved.

For anyone else caught in the Nexus/GE trap, mail in that paper renewal application. It worked for me.

nrg
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Global Entry & Nexus question - renewal

I did my Original GE in Oct 2013 - expires Oct 2018 (renewal Oct 2017)
I did Nexus in Mar 2016 - Expires Mar 2021

GOES website has my trusted traveler expiration as Mar 2021

I have "Heard" if you let GE lapse, but Nexus is still up, that you are not a full GE, but no one seems to know what happens to you if you come from Asia.

Do, I have to renew GE this year or not, in order to maintain full benefits?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
I did my Original GE in Oct 2013 - expires Oct 2018 (renewal Oct 2017)
I did Nexus in Mar 2016 - Expires Mar 2021

GOES website has my trusted traveler expiration as Mar 2021

I have "Heard" if you let GE lapse, but Nexus is still up, that you are not a full GE, but no one seems to know what happens to you if you come from Asia.

Do, I have to renew GE this year or not, in order to maintain full benefits?
Your GE membership ended on the start date for your Nexus membership. Likewise, if you now renew GE, your Nexus membership will end and you won't be able to get it back.

Nexus includes everything in GE. If you want to keep Nexus, don't renew GE.

Last edited by mnbp; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:34 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnbp
Your GE membership ended on the start date for your Nexus membership. Likewise, if you now renew GE, your Nexus membership will end and you won't be able to get it back.

Nexus includes everything in GE. If you want to keep Nexus, don't renew GE.
Thanks, I didn't even know this part of flyer talk was here, my Thread/question got moved twice (thanks mods)

That is the most concise answer I have seen so far, thanks for your time.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Thanks, I didn't even know this part of flyer talk was here, my Thread/question got moved twice (thanks mods)

That is the most concise answer I have seen so far, thanks for your time.
NEXUS includes both SENTRI and GlobalEntry, so if you have NEXUS, you have everything.

The only thing you'd have to add for full SENTRI benefits is a vehicle inspection, if you want to be able to drive across the Mexican border.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Renewing GE

I got my GE in Feb 2014. If I apply for Nexus this year & get GE, do I have to renew my GE in 2019 and my Nexus in 2022?

When my GE renews, do I only pay $50 or do I have to pay the full $100?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by rpsandiego
I got my GE in Feb 2014. If I apply for Nexus this year & get GE, do I have to renew my GE in 2019 and my Nexus in 2022?

When my GE renews, do I only pay $50 or do I have to pay the full $100?
Nexus INCLUDES GE. Repeat: Nexus INCLUDES GE. When you get Nexus, your standalone GE goes away. Just maintain Nexus going forward, and you'll still have GE.

If you renew GE while holding Nexus, your Nexus goes away and you cannot get it back until after that GE 5 year period expires.

It is more than a little counter-intuitive. Nexus (including GE) costs $50, while GE alone costs $100. The reason I think is that only the US decides how much to charge for GE, but both US and Canada must agree how much to charge for Nexus and the Canadians haven't agreed to raise the price of Nexus thus it's cheaper than GE alone.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
NEXUS includes both SENTRI and GlobalEntry, so if you have NEXUS, you have everything.

The only thing you'd have to add for full SENTRI benefits is a vehicle inspection, if you want to be able to drive across the Mexican border.
Inspection toon is no longer required. However you still must register and pay the fee for each vehicle in GOES.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by 18sas
I was able to get an last-minute appointment a few weeks ago at YYZ. They did not do the iris scan that I recall, and I'm pretty sure that I would remember.

I was already a NEXUS member but got caught in the GE renewal trap. Theoretically they have my iris scan on file already and my Trusted Traveler Number is the same.

So I'm not sure if my iris scan is linked or not. How would I find out?
Not sure about the iris scan part of your question, but other people on this site somewhere have reported a way out of the "GE renewal trap". If you renew with the paper application by snail mail, apparently you do not need to wait for your GE to expire to become a NEXUS member again. It will still be reflected in your GOES account. Even better, I believe that with the paper application/renewal, you can choose to pay the $50 fee in either US or Canadian dollars (it's 50 no matter which currency you choose, so it's a no brainer to save 20-30% by using Canadian dollars).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.