Search

CBP Spam?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
CBP Spam?

Are any other Nexus members getting spam from CBP trying to sell you on the UK's Registered Traveller program?

Is CBP getting a cut from each person who joins?

This was in my email this morning:

You are receiving this message because you have been identified by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen or Canadian citizen enrolled in the GE/ NEXUS program. CBP would like to inform you that the United Kingdom now operates an expedited entry program called Registered Traveller and you may be eligible to apply.

Registered Traveller was launched by the UK Border Force to give faster and more convenient entry to the UK for eligible nationals from the United States and Canada. Membership of Registered Traveller costs £70 in the first year and £50 per year thereafter.

Membership of Registered Traveller includes the following benefits:
Access to ePassport gates
Use of the UK / EEA queue
No requirement to complete a landing card on arrival in the UK
No routine credibility interview with a Border Force officer.

Visitor eligibility criteria have changed and you now may apply to join if you have made at least 4 journeys to the United Kingdom in the previous two years. Complete details of Registered Traveller eligibility and availability can be found online at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

Registered Traveller is proving extremely popular with members and to date there have been over 275,000 crossings of the border by members with extremely positive feedback such as,

“I think it is fantastic! It has made a major difference to my experience travelling as it gives me a great deal of time back.”

“Time saving and improved experience of clearing immigration.”

You can apply for Registered Traveller online now at www.gov.uk/registered-traveller.

This is an automated email. Please do not reply.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
We have had Nexus for 4.5 years and filed our renewals a couple of weeks ago & I recall getting one of those emails a while ago, but I also remember getting a CBP email about SmartGate in Australia when it first became available to GE holders. I just consider these info emails & not spam. I doubt CBP gets a cut of the application fee (and for SmartGate there is no application fee).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rubesl
We have had Nexus for 4.5 years and filed our renewals a couple of weeks ago & I recall getting one of those emails a while ago, but I also remember getting a CBP email about SmartGate in Australia when it first became available to GE holders. I just consider these info emails & not spam. I doubt CBP gets a cut of the application fee (and for SmartGate there is no application fee).
Yeah--that sounds like useful information, not spam. If you're a member of one such program you very well might be interested in another assuming your travels take you to that country.

To me the fundamental definition of spam is that it's considered desirable by only a very tiny portion of the recipients.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:57 pm

If your concerned about ever getting an email from a company, I suggest you do not provide your email

I also got this email but I don't travel to the UK enough. Although it is nice of them to give us a heads up such program is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.