Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
CBP should show the differences between the three programs. SENTRI, as per CBP:
There are no citizenship or age requirements for Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) membership. However, if you are under the age of 18, you must have your parent or legal guardian's consent to participate in the program.
Does that pretty much mean a citizen of say, Zimbabwe (or Australia), can apply/obtain SENTRI while they can't apply for GE/NEXUS?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
Since Nexus includes GE privileges and costs half, why would you wanna renew GE on its own?
It's like renewing TSA Pre when you have GE already. It's redundant and makes no sense.
I understand it makes no sense. My wife selected the "renew GE" because she was told to do so by the CBP as they correct way to renew all three programs. I selected renew "NEXUS" because it seemed the logical choice. As you can imagine there were a few arguments over this

But why would the CBP leave money on the table? I would have expected to be charged $150 for GE+NEXUS processing. Why on earth would NEXUS be $50 and GE $100??
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:12 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP should show the differences between the three programs.
They do.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
So here is the mystery. My SENTRI card became obsolete after getting my NEXUS ( more than obsolete, as I noted, I ended up in secondary twice). Yet renewing NEXUS costs $50. Renewing SENTRI costs $122.25. Maybe when my NEXUS is approved , my GOES page will allow me to renew "SENTRI"? Or am I getting a bargain by renewing my NEXUS for $50 as SENTRI is included? Let me tell you when crossing from Mexico to US at TJ you do not want to find out the hard way that your papers are not in order.

I wonder if the low cost of NEXUS is an anomoly due to some existing deal between US and Canada, and the cost is fixed?
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
The only thing you needed to do to make your Nexus a Sentri was to register your vehicle under "add conveyance info" and pay a one-time $42 fee. Upon approval, Nexus becomes a super TT card that includes ALL the other programs you subscribed to previously. RE: Nexus cost, it was agreed upon by both countries and I believe it's due to go up to $80 some time in the future. Not all Americans save money on going with Nexus though, especially when they have to travel to the other side of the country for an interview.

Last edited by greglvnv; Oct 29, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by greglvnv
The only thing you needed to do to make your Nexus a Sentri was to register your vehicle under "add conveyance info" and pay a one-time $42 fee. Upon approval, Nexus becomes a super TT card that includes ALL the other programs you subscribed to previously. RE: Nexus cost, it was agreed upon by both countries and I believe it's due to go up to $80 some time in the future. Not all Americans save money on going with Nexus though, especially when they have to travel on the other side of the country for an interview.
Ok, thanks a lot. I started in SENTRI and then got NEXUS, so I followed a different path. Yeah, I have to factor in a trip to see family in Canada.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by nrgiii
According to CBP, you must wait until Nexus expires and reapply. I realize that is completely asinine but it's the only way. I am in the same boat and received the following email from CBP:
nrg
I may have found away around the "can't renew Nexus if you renew GE first" problem. Instead of waiting for my Nexus card to expire, I mailed in a paper renewal application (download from the CBSA site) to the Niagara Falls processing center about a month before Nexus expires. The CBSA site says renewing with paper is allowed.

No word back so far, but they did already charge my Visa card the CAN$50 renewal fee so I'm cautiously optimistic this route might be a work around for others caught in this trap. I'll post the results when I know more.

nrg
Old Nov 27, 2016, 9:00 am

I may have found away around the "can't renew Nexus if you renew GE first" problem. Instead of waiting for my Nexus card to expire, I mailed in a paper renewal application (download from the CBSA site) to the Niagara Falls processing center about a month before Nexus expires. The CBSA site says renewing with paper is allowed.

No word back so far, but they did already charge my Visa card the CAN$50 renewal fee so I'm cautiously optimistic this route might be a work around for others caught in this trap. I'll post the results when I know more.

nrg
Please,please keep us up to date. My wife, based on incorrect information given to her verbally by the CBP, made the same mistake and is caught in this trap.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Skywards
NOV 2016 update for Global Entry and NEXUS holders

I am a global entry card holder who applied for NEXUS as I have frequent land travel to Canada coming up in near future. My interview was at Vancouver airport in Nov 2016 and the approval took 20 minutes. My NEXUS card came in mail in 4 days. The letter accompanying the card clearly said my global entry card is no longer valid and I should destroy it. The NEXUS card includes Global Entry. For global entry you dont need physical card to use the kiosk just your finger prints and passport. So no need to renew global entry for $100 while you can get much more with NEXUS for $50.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by CABargainMan
I am a global entry card holder who applied for NEXUS as I have frequent land travel to Canada coming up in near future. My interview was at Vancouver airport in Nov 2016 and the approval took 20 minutes. My NEXUS card came in mail in 4 days. The letter accompanying the card clearly said my global entry card is no longer valid and I should destroy it. The NEXUS card includes Global Entry. For global entry you dont need physical card to use the kiosk just your finger prints and passport. So no need to renew global entry for $100 while you can get much more with NEXUS for $50.
Yes we all know that!

The problem being discussed is for existing NEXUS holders up for renewal who clicked the GE renewal button on their GOES page (either accidentally or because CBP told them to do that) and started a GE renewal.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
CBP should show the differences between the three programs. SENTRI, as per CBP:

Does that pretty much mean a citizen of say, Zimbabwe (or Australia), can apply/obtain SENTRI while they can't apply for GE/NEXUS?
They can if a permanent resident of US or Canada.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:05 am

nrg
It appears my paper Nexus renewal application is in progress. My credit card was charged on 11/14 and the CBP help center told me the application shows as "Pending Review" in their system. However I cannot see the renewal in GOES.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 1:41 pm

It appears my paper Nexus renewal application is in progress. My credit card was charged on 11/14 and the CBP help center told me the application shows as "Pending Review" in their system. However I cannot see the renewal in GOES.
More email from the CBP help center today. My Nexus renewal application will only show up in GOES after it reaches "Conditionally Approved" status. Until then, paper renewal applications do not appear in GOES.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by TWA884
Interesting. The link says no passport is required for NEXUS. That's a surprise - I've always heard that although a passport isn't necessary to enter Canada by land if you have NEXUS, it's a good idea to have it along 'just in case'.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by dustman81
Nexus and GE are separate. Renewing Nexus would have renewed GE automatically, but renewing GE does not renew Nexus. You'll gave to pony up the $50 and go through the Nexus application process, again.
I am quite confused about renewal of GE and Nexus for Canadian citizens and I have a technical question: If a Canadian citizen renew GE online but not Nexus, will he get acceptance to GE then enjoying all GE benefits, even though, his Nexus card is not renewed OR GE won't be renewed unless Nexus is renewed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.