Wiki Posts
Search

Using GE card as ID

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2016, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Using GE card as ID

Has anyone successfully or unsuccessfully used their GE card when showing ID in a non-airport/CBP setting (to prove age when buying alcohol, for example)?

I was just thinking yesterday that while it is an official form of ID, I never use it except when passing through airport security. More than anything I'm just curious about your experiences.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
My 16 year son doesn't have a Drivers License or any other state issued ID. We recently applied to renew his passport and despite having his current passport, the passport acceptance facility said they they needed an additional form of photo ID since his passport picture was old. He pulled out his GE card and they reluctantly accepted it (having not ever seen one before and having no idea what it was).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
A friend uses it as her standard ID. Rarely presents any problem. She's also way past the drinking age, though.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:07 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've used my NEXUS card with mixed success. In Massachusetts, the ABCC list of IDs that licensees can use as "a defense to a charge of service, delivery, or possession of alcoholic beverages by a person under twenty-one years of age" only includes the following:
1. A Massachusetts Driver’s License;
2. A Massachusetts Liquor Identification Card;
3. A Massachusetts Identification Card;
4. A Passport Issued by the United States or a government that is officially recognized by the
United States;
5. A Passport Card for a Passport issued by the United States; and
6. A Military Identification Card.
(Don't ask what the difference is between a Mass Liquor ID and a Mass ID. I have no idea. EDIT: I looked it up. Liquor ID doesn't require proof of residence but is only for 21+, Mass ID requires proof of residence and can be issued at 14.)

At least one venue rejected my NEXUS card as being not on the list, so I gave them my MA license since I didn't have a passport card at the time (though I do now).

That said, I'm very difficult to mistake for an under 21 person at this point and licensees aren't required to limit themselves to that list; they just have less legal protection if they don't and turn out to be in error.

Last edited by CKDGM; Apr 13, 2016 at 6:11 pm Reason: looked up weird MA ID stuff
Old Apr 14, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: GE
I do not promise that this list is accurate or complete - it's only my interpretation of the rules Please verify yourself before relying on it

So which places accept NEXUS/SENTRI/GE cards?
  • DHS itself (besides airports and border)
    DHS doesn't only operate TSA and CBP. At many federal buildings, DHS accepts trusted traveler cards as ID (check beforehand to make sure, as each agency and facility can have exceptions) and most other federally restricted areas where DHS operates security. A notable exception is CBP at airports to enter the US, where you need a passport.
  • I-9 forms for lawful work presence (List B document)
    Trusted traveler cards seem to be acceptable for I-9 purposes, as "list B" documents. The interpretation seems to be they can verify identity, but not ability to work. This seems ironic to me since it states nationality right on the front of the card, but it seems as foreign nationals can get trusted traveler cards without work authorization, these cards aren't eligible for "list A" status
  • On board trains
    While it might come as a surprise, even to many who take trains regularly, but TSA also regulates security for certain train travel (eg. on Amtrak) and requires photo ID that should be shown on request to TSA or the rail operator.

Trusted traveler cards issued by DHS should qualify, although given that TSA doesn't sometimes even recognize these cards at the airport I wouldn't necessarily count on them recognizing these cards on a train.
  • (Maybe) to apply for Passport
    Trusted traveler cards are not on the list of acceptable ID when applying for passport or passport card. However, when required ID documents are not available certain kinds and combinations of secondary documents may be sufficient. While the State Department doesn't enumerate all acceptable secondary documents, I would assume a valid, unexpired trusted traveler card would be considered strong secondary ID. But I wouldn't expect State to automatically accept it.
  • (Maybe) at the DMV
    State rules vary. Michigan lists trusted traveler cards as acceptable ID to present at the DMV. Typically trusted traveler cards don't make the list of acceptable identification at most state DMV's to apply for drivers' license or state identification. However, as with passport applications, some states allow secondary verification of ID when primary documents are not available, and trusted traveler cards may work in some cases.
  • (Maybe) to buy age-restricted items or enter bars
    This depends strongly on state laws and the person checking the ID. Some states (like Massachusetts, as posted above) specify what forms of ID have special legal status and don't include trusted traveler cards. Even in states where this is not the case, you're dependent on the ID checker knowing what on earth is a trusted traveler card.

For this use, it would have been more useful if trusted traveler cards were more clearly marked as issued by DHS, or even the US Government. However, anyone familiar with checking ID would recognize the numerous security features on these cards.
  • (Maybe) to verify payment identity
    One can argue about whether stores can or should ask for ID for credit card or check payments, but this depends entirely on the store/clerk. Based on my history of showing passport card instead of driver's license, most places are OK, with the occasional clerk that thinks the only kinds of ID that exist are driver's licenses.

Also, passport cards/trusted traveler cards do not show the carrier's signature. So any place that wishes to do signature verification will force you to use drivers' license or passport.
  • (Maybe) to vote
    States with voter ID laws also vary. In Virginia, any federal government issued photo ID is acceptable; although I would strongly suggest having a backup in case they don't know what on earth is your trusted traveler card. Other states like North Carolina do not have trusted traveler cards on their list of acceptable photo ID for voting.
  • Not for ETS
    To take ETS administered tests like the GRE, photo ID bearing signature is required. This eliminates passport cards and trusted traveler cards.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bbtrvl
I do not promise that this list is accurate or complete - it's only my interpretation of the rules Please verify yourself before relying on it

So which places accept NEXUS/SENTRI/GE cards?
  • DHS itself (besides airports and border)
    DHS doesn't only operate TSA and CBP. At many federal buildings, DHS accepts trusted traveler cards as ID (check beforehand to make sure, as each agency and facility can have exceptions) and most other federally restricted areas where DHS operates security. A notable exception is CBP at airports to enter the US, where you need a passport.
  • I-9 forms for lawful work presence (List B document)
    Trusted traveler cards seem to be acceptable for I-9 purposes, as "list B" documents. The interpretation seems to be they can verify identity, but not ability to work. This seems ironic to me since it states nationality right on the front of the card, but it seems as foreign nationals can get trusted traveler cards without work authorization, these cards aren't eligible for "list A" status
  • On board trains
    While it might come as a surprise, even to many who take trains regularly, but TSA also regulates security for certain train travel (eg. on Amtrak) and requires photo ID that should be shown on request to TSA or the rail operator.

Trusted traveler cards issued by DHS should qualify, although given that TSA doesn't sometimes even recognize these cards at the airport I wouldn't necessarily count on them recognizing these cards on a train.
  • (Maybe) to apply for Passport
    Trusted traveler cards are not on the list of acceptable ID when applying for passport or passport card. However, when required ID documents are not available certain kinds and combinations of secondary documents may be sufficient. While the State Department doesn't enumerate all acceptable secondary documents, I would assume a valid, unexpired trusted traveler card would be considered strong secondary ID. But I wouldn't expect State to automatically accept it.
  • (Maybe) at the DMV
    State rules vary. Michigan lists trusted traveler cards as acceptable ID to present at the DMV. Typically trusted traveler cards don't make the list of acceptable identification at most state DMV's to apply for drivers' license or state identification. However, as with passport applications, some states allow secondary verification of ID when primary documents are not available, and trusted traveler cards may work in some cases.
  • (Maybe) to buy age-restricted items or enter bars
    This depends strongly on state laws and the person checking the ID. Some states (like Massachusetts, as posted above) specify what forms of ID have special legal status and don't include trusted traveler cards. Even in states where this is not the case, you're dependent on the ID checker knowing what on earth is a trusted traveler card.

For this use, it would have been more useful if trusted traveler cards were more clearly marked as issued by DHS, or even the US Government. However, anyone familiar with checking ID would recognize the numerous security features on these cards.
  • (Maybe) to verify payment identity
    One can argue about whether stores can or should ask for ID for credit card or check payments, but this depends entirely on the store/clerk. Based on my history of showing passport card instead of driver's license, most places are OK, with the occasional clerk that thinks the only kinds of ID that exist are driver's licenses.

Also, passport cards/trusted traveler cards do not show the carrier's signature. So any place that wishes to do signature verification will force you to use drivers' license or passport.
  • (Maybe) to vote
    States with voter ID laws also vary. In Virginia, any federal government issued photo ID is acceptable; although I would strongly suggest having a backup in case they don't know what on earth is your trusted traveler card. Other states like North Carolina do not have trusted traveler cards on their list of acceptable photo ID for voting.
  • Not for ETS
    To take ETS administered tests like the GRE, photo ID bearing signature is required. This eliminates passport cards and trusted traveler cards.
Most of the above makes some sense except maybe using a TT card, at least a GE card, to get a passport since you need a passport to get a GE card. As for using the GE card I'll have to say I don't carry it unless I'm traveling and even then I rarely pull it out so can't speak to other uses. At my age I don't get carded at bars and restaurants.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I use my GE card as my general ID. I like that it doesn't have my address on it. I've used it at airports and most bars. Have used it a few times to purchase alcohol. Whenever i get questioned about it I just say it's a "Homeland Security ID" and most backdown immediately thinking it means I work for DHS. I'm 33 not 17 so it's not like I'm making a fake ID to get some boons farm. I have been asked if I have any other ID once or twice when they don't know what the card is. My Nexus card stays with my passport wallet.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Most of the above makes some sense except maybe using a TT card, at least a GE card, to get a passport since you need a passport to get a GE card. As for using the GE card I'll have to say I don't carry it unless I'm traveling and even then I rarely pull it out so can't speak to other uses. At my age I don't get carded at bars and restaurants.
I admit it is somewhat unlikely anyone will ever attempt to apply for a passport with a trusted traveler card as ID, but it potentially could happen.

I can think of one hypothetical scenario. Anyone who has lost or damaged their passport must submit a new (not a renew) application for passport in person and present photo ID.

If the applicant was (for example) a US citizen who does not live in the US and has a damaged passport, it is entirely possible they would have none of the acceptable primary ID documents (like state ID or driver's license) yet carry a trusted traveler card.

In this case I would show my GE card and see if that is acceptable. I don't think simply because the linked passport becomes damaged that the GE card suddenly becomes invalid federal ID.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's specific question relates to purchasing alcohol rather than CBP / TSA or apparently government functions.

That is typically a state "safe harbor" matter. In other words, there is a list of approved ID's. If someone purchases booze with a fake DL, the licensee is off the hook. If the the sale is made based on an ID not on the list and it turns out to be fake and the individual is not of age, the licensee is SOL.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:01 pm

I use mine all the time as ID. As in it's the only ID I'm going to present. They can like it or lump it. If someone questions what it is, I tell them it's my "Federal ID" and that seems to satisfy their questions. If they ask any further questions, I inform them the government only issues these after a background check AND interview with a federal agent. That always shuts them up.

I love using it for this purpose -- no barcodes/magstripes the stores can scan when buying booze or making a return. No address or other info they don't need. In Florida there are a ton of gated communities which love to scan/swipe IDs. Go ahead. That's all you're getting from me. No DL, nothing else. I'd imagine the PassID # is useless to just about anyone but CBP/TSA. I seriously doubt most local yokel police would know what to do with it.

To be honest, the idea of presenting ID to verify identity is completely flawed. You're asking the person in question to verify their own identity using their own documents. In my high school, we used to make fake IDs as a yearbook fundraiser. We had all of the equipment one would want...including some DMV laminate with UV printing that someone pinched from the DMV licensing bus. Ours actually looked more real than the DMVs.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP's specific question relates to purchasing alcohol rather than CBP / TSA or apparently government functions.
Not really.

My question was intended to be non-specific. I'm more interested in real-life practice and members' experiences in using the GE card as ID when required in any form outside of the primary purpose of the program (CBP & PreCheck). Same for a NEXUS ID.

More examples: A few states (like mine) currently require ID to be able to vote. Also, most sporting events require ID to pick up tickets from will call. Has anyone been successful in instances like these?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I use my GE card as my general ID. I like that it doesn't have my address on it.
This is why I like it and why I use it at TSA. Also like KRSW noted there's no magstripe to use for less-than-honest intentions. My GE does have a barcode on the back (do they all?), but I've never been to a place that scanned them.

Also it seems like when I use my DL outside of Arizona people always have significant trouble finding the DOB (there's a lot of printed info on the front of it, plus the background image makes it difficult to read). I always have to tell them where to look.

Last edited by Lost; Apr 15, 2016 at 11:58 am
Old Apr 15, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Other than airports I don't generally use it.

I look young and there's a lot of skepticism over age related purchases. When I do have trouble with my driver's license, the US Passport card looks official, has some security features that the NEXUS/GE cards do not (e.g. raised lettering for personal info), has the eagle, US stars and stripes, and the words "Department of State" on it, shifting hologram, etc. while not having my address - people see it and believe it's a real ID. Whereas they see the nexus/GE card and there's no obvious marks that it's issued by the federal government.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles; Hilton HHonors; NEXUS; National Emerald Club Executive
I've used mine as photo ID in a number of situations:

- For work I do at secure data centers: Generally accepted without any issue
- For verification of credit card purchases: Mixed success rate; sometimes accepted, sometimes not. When not accepted, I'll show my driver license, but also give the clerk a friendly lecture on what "government-issued photo ID" means
- For secondary ID in situations where two IDs are required (e.g. large cash withdrawals from a bank): Always accepted without issue

I should note that I basically never drink, so I don't actually buy alcohol. I've therefore never tried using it for age verification.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lost
Not really.

My question was intended to be non-specific. I'm more interested in real-life practice and members' experiences in using the GE card as ID when required in any form outside of the primary purpose of the program (CBP & PreCheck). Same for a NEXUS ID.

More examples: A few states (like mine) currently require ID to be able to vote. Also, most sporting events require ID to pick up tickets from will call. Has anyone been successful in instances like these?
I do in foreign countries. I leave my wallet and most of my cash and cards in the hotel save and take one card and a bit of cash and my NEXUS card out with me. That way if what I have with me gets lost or stolen, my daily-use IDs are still in the hotel safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.