Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:51 pm

Question NEXUS Gets Deactivated upon Final Approval of Global Entry and Vice Versa

Hello all,

I believe I screwed something up and I am hoping for some assistance here. I just renewed my Global Entry and I forgot that I should have chosen to renew Nexus and then add Global Entry to it. I have tried everything and it does not look like I can get Nexus back. I logging into my GOES account and followed directions and I don't see where I can add Nexus.

I can't even see the option to add another program. Do I have any other option but to go through the Nexus paper application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 27, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Global Entry/Nexus question...

Quick question re Global Entry and Nexus:

In 2010, I applied for and received Nexus for $50, and Global Entry was included for free. When I renewed, I only did GE, and they told me next time I was in Canada, I should do the Nexus renewal.

So, I'll be in Toronto next month (My Nexus is valid until July). Went onto the GOES website, and it seems to take me to an endless loop where I can't apply for Nexus, it just tells me that my GE application is completed.

Before I get on the phone, which could be hours long, here's the question: Should I even bother? About half my border crossings are by car, and there is a Nexus lane, but not a Global Entry lane.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2016, 11:37 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving to TS/S Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old May 27, 2016, 11:58 am

If you are unable to get out of the endless loop and end up with Global Entry, it's not all bad news. You can use the NEXUS lane when returning to the US with a GE card. Just can't use it heading north.
Old May 27, 2016, 12:29 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chrisgwins
You can use the NEXUS lane when returning to the US with a GE card. Just can't use it heading north.
You can't use a GE card in a NEXUS lane heading into Canada. You can use it heading north through the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel or across the Ambassador Bridge, because at those crossings the north side is the USA.

("You are technically correct, the best kind of correct!")
Old May 27, 2016, 6:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
Quick question re Global Entry and Nexus:

In 2010, I applied for and received Nexus for $50, and Global Entry was included for free. When I renewed, I only did GE, and they told me next time I was in Canada, I should do the Nexus renewal.

So, I'll be in Toronto next month (My Nexus is valid until July). Went onto the GOES website, and it seems to take me to an endless loop where I can't apply for Nexus, it just tells me that my GE application is completed.

Before I get on the phone, which could be hours long, here's the question: Should I even bother? About half my border crossings are by car, and there is a Nexus lane, but not a Global Entry lane.

Thanks in advance.
If you use land entry frequently at all, NEXUS will serve you well.

Sounds very familiar . In response to a very similar situation:

Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your GOES online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Question GE and Nexus Renewal

When I logged into GOES to renew, I saw GE and Nexus with a "Renew" button beside each. Same expiry date for both. After going through the renewal process for GE, the Nexus Renew button is gone. So how do I renew Nexus? Or does renewing GE also renew Nexus automatically?

nrg
Old Jun 9, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by nrgiii
When I logged into GOES to renew, I saw GE and Nexus with a "Renew" button beside each. Same expiry date for both. After going through the renewal process for GE, the Nexus Renew button is gone. So how do I renew Nexus? Or does renewing GE also renew Nexus automatically?

nrg
Nexus and GE are separate. Renewing Nexus would have renewed GE automatically, but renewing GE does not renew Nexus. You'll gave to pony up the $50 and go through the Nexus application process, again.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by watraveler
Hello all,

I believe I screwed something up and I am hoping for some assistance here. I just renewed my Global Entry and I forgot that I should have chosen to renew Nexus and then add Global Entry to it. I have tried everything and it does not look like I can get Nexus back. I logging into my GOES account and followed directions and I don't see where I can add Nexus.

I can't even see the option to add another program. Do I have any other option but to go through the Nexus paper application?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Welcome to FT. As dustman81 mentioned, Gobal Entry and NEXUS are two separate programs. I shall remember not to make the same mistake when I renew my NEXUS. Luckily they are three years apart.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by dustman81
Nexus and GE are separate. Renewing Nexus would have renewed GE automatically, but renewing GE does not renew Nexus. You'll gave to pony up the $50 and go through the Nexus application process, again.
So you're saying that renewing GE precludes me from renewing Nexus? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:29 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nrgiii
So you're saying that renewing GE precludes me from renewing Nexus? That makes no sense whatsoever.
That's what he wrote.

I recommend reading the first post in this - now merged - thread:
Originally Posted by watraveler
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Still trying to figure this out:

I am both in GE & Nexus. Expire in Aug 2016.

I started the renewal process on GOES. Assumed I would GE first then Nexus.

Applied for GE renewal, filled out forms, paid fee. Access to renew "Nexus" disappeared.

Got re-approved with no interview in about 3 weeks. Got my new GE card a week later. (Never had a GE card before, only NEXUS).

Still no way to renew NEXUS on GOES.

Will my NEXUS membership be terminated as of Aug 2016 (original date)? Or will it continue now? Will I have issues with no NEXUS card.

I emailed CBP, but the website says it'll take 3 weeks for an answer.

Anyone have any ideas on what my next steps should be?

(https://www.cbp.gov/faqs/how-do-i-ad...try-membership) doesn't seem to match what I can see: I see no button / drop down that says
"Add Trusted Traveler Program"
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by dollaroff
Will my NEXUS membership be terminated as of Aug 2016 (original date)? Or will it continue now? Will I have issues with no NEXUS card.

I emailed CBP, but the website says it'll take 3 weeks for an answer.

Anyone have any ideas on what my next steps should be?
I've moved your question into a thread that discusses this specific problem.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Originally Posted by dustman81
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:58 am

Why would renew both GE and NEXUS?? you realize that NEXUS include GE at no additional charge right?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:42 pm

I accidentally renewed Global entry instead of Nexus several years ago. When I had to resubmit for Nexus and received it, I was told to destroy my Global entry card as it was no longer needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.