Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nayef
Copied from Xyzzy's post:

I think this sums up what to do pretty well:
  • Airline checkin in the US for departure to EU
    • Right now you can show either EU or US (but airline execs I know and have discussed this with suggest giving the airline your US passport).
    • In the future, when ETIAS comes into force, show the EU passport to the airline because the EU will require that data to be sent ahead of the flight.
    • re: the above two comments, it currently doesn't matter which you use from a US perspective. If you are a US citizen, departing the US on an EU passport you've not entered the US with is not going to cause any problems.
  • Immigration on arrival in the EU
    • Show the EU passport because you are a citizen and many/most countries require citizens to show their passports to enter.
  • Airline checkin in the EU for departure to the US
    • Show your US passport to the airline as the US requires you to enter on your US passport and APIS data sent ahead of the flight needs to contain your US data.
  • Immigration departing the EU
    • Show the EU passport that you entered the EU with. The fact that you gave a different passport to the airline will not cause any problem.
  • At the gate for a flight departing to the US: You may be asked to verify your travel documents at the gate before departure and so only show your US passport in this case.
  • Immigration arriving the US
    • Show the US passport you showed to the airline.
Print Wikipost

Dual Citizen Traveling from/to the US, which Passport to show/use, where?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:31 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
[The period of time during which the eight international US-originating flights were taken was left out by accident. It's not the lifetime total, just in case anyone wants to mistakenly assume that.]

And indeed there are "random" gate-area/jetbridge exit control checks performed daily by CBP. Even as these checks only hit a small minority of daily flights departing the U.S.; and even as these checks commonly don't involve all passengers having their passports electronically scanned by CBP in the gate-area/jetbridge even when done.
good catch, I fixed it! 8 flights in last two months. granted 3 of 8 is higher than my usual total but they have been more active at IAH lately and one of my flights from IAD also.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Just exit with the EU passport and if they need proof is entry, show the expired US one.

Then when outside the country, just go to any US Embassy or Consulate and then renew it. Getting my second passport only took like two weeks.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:00 pm

Dual citizen - can you EXIT U.S. using foreign passport

Hello,

dual citizen USA and EU. If you are in the USA already can you exit USA using non-US (EU) passport?

Has anyone tried that?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ian Noah
Hello,

dual citizen USA and EU. If you are in the USA already can you exit USA using non-US (EU) passport?

Has anyone tried that?
Yes and yes, but you're not supposed to do that. And it can complicate matters in the future. The less complicating way to do it is to go across by car from the US to Canada using US ID and proof of US citizenship and then fly out of Canada to a non-US area on the EU passport.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes and yes, but you're not supposed to do that. And it can complicate matters in the future. The less complicating way to do it is to go across by car from the US to Canada using US ID and proof of US citizenship and then fly out of Canada to a non-US area on the EU passport.
thank you. Hypothetically, say, what if the State Dept doesn't want to renew your US passport, because you owe back child support. Based on what you are saying one should still be able to just hop on a plane with non-US passport and leave the country.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ian Noah
thank you. Hypothetically, say, what if the State Dept doesn't want to renew your US passport, because you owe back child support. Based on what you are saying one should still be able to just hop on a plane with non-US passport and leave the country.
Lots of US dual-citizens manage to use their non-US passport to travel the world even after State has denied them a US passport to leave the US. Then such US dual-citizens may need to go to a US embassy/consulate once abroad to get a new, restricted US travel doc good for flying back just to the US, if heading back to the US.

Even if that embassy/consulate route to return isn't done, many do manage to fly to the US on US VWP country passports even as they shouldn't; but then they should still present themselves at the US port of entry as being a US citizen -- even if having flown directly to the US using an ESTA/VWP country passport for the trip.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
I've done this a few times, though not within the past few years. The passport readers at EWR for kiosk check in (without checked bags) used to have trouble reading my US passport, so rather than deal with that hassle of, you know, getting in line and dealing with a human I'd just use my EU passport which was scanned with no problem. Never had an issue upon reentry.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So, you want advice as to how to leave your kid here in the States without support? Nice.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
So, you want advice as to how to leave your kid here in the States without support? Nice.
US passport denial and non-possession of US passport by a US dual-citizen affects way more US persons than just Americans who may leave their kids in the US "without support". It even hits people who are free US citizens and are not legally barred from having a valid US passport to exercise the fundamental right of freedom of movement.

With regard to the thread's opening question and follow-up hypothetical situation, the answer to Often1's question doesn't really change a thing. Even if anyone here were or were not a hypothetical subject legally responsible to owe $2,500+ in child support money for a minor child -- whether or not a child has been biologically-fathered/mothered or legally adopted by anyone here may not matter -- the answer to the thread-starting OP matters for US dual-citizens denied a timely US passport or not in possession of a US passport when wanting to travel out of the country using a valid non-US passport applicable for transport and admissibility at the foreign destination.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Dual US/other citizen traveling with 2 passports

Hi, everyone,

I was wondering if anybody did something similar. I am a dual US/other citizen. Couple of months ago not knowing the rules, I exited US with my non - US passport when I was going to visit the country of my other nationality. I entered and exited my native country with my US passport, and when I came back to the US, I entered US with my US passport and didn't have any problems. This was about 3 months ago. But I keep worrying that immigration officials will call me later and make problems for me because I exited US with the passport of my country of birth. The law says that US citizens have to ENTER but also LEAVE the US using their US passports.
Anybody else made this mistake? Anybody else got a call after they returned to US from immigration authorities asking them why they left US with a non - US passport?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
There is no formal US emigration procedure, so don't worry. Besides, if you are a US citizen, you cannot be denied entry to the US!

Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 5:04 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
US CBP really has better things to do than search for the phone numbers and call all US citizens who leave the US on another passport. That's assuming they are able to identify a foreign passport holder as a US citizen in the first place; although they would be able to do so in most cases if they wanted. If they were that interested they would set up proper emigration control and you would have to pay for it.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by :D!
US CBP really has better things to do than search for the phone numbers and call all US citizens who leave the US on another passport.
One would hope that you are correct here, but judging from some of the bizarre experiences I and my family had with US immigration I wouldn't be so sure.

Having said that, there is no formal "exiting the US with a passport" protocol, the airlines collect passport information to ensure entry at the destination.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:36 pm

Most countries require that there citizens enter with that countries passport. Additionally, many countries require that one must exist with the same passport as one entered with. As others have said, the US does not have an exist procedure.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:49 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
This isn't an issue. I've even arrived in the US with the airline having sent my non-US passport info via APIS, and the only result was that it took the CBP officer a little longer to look me up (this was well before Global Entry).

The law (8 USC 1185(b)) says a US citizen may not "depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport". You were obviously bearing your US passport when you left (since you had it to present at the other end, and I'm assuming you didn't get handed it on the plane) so you were in compliance.

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm Reason: remove redundancy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.