Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Signed up for GE and PreCheck - which KTN/PASSID to use?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signed up for GE and PreCheck - which KTN/PASSID to use?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question Signed up for GE after Pre-Check - which KTN to use?

I unknowingly "did it backwards" a couple years ago by signing up for Pre-Check, not realizing it would be included if I signed up for GE first.

I've had many international trips through LAX, DFW, and MIA using the APC kiosks and never had to wait more than a minute, but after a bad experience at JFK T7 (no kiosks) recently, I finally signed up for GE and just received my approval.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Should I change the KTN in my AA profile to the new GE number, or just keep the existing KTN I received when I signed up for Pre-Check? It's been working well and I don't want to mess anything up - I don't believe I've had any domestic flights so far where I have not received Pre-Check.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can use any KTN. It shouldn't make any difference as to selection.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You can use any KTN. It shouldn't make any difference as to selection.
Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
I agree that it probably doesn't make any difference which KTN you use. I will say my wife had PreCheck via her DoD employee status but once she enrolled in GE she switched over to the GE generated KTN. She waited until she was in a travel void with no booked travel to make the switch. It's been a year now since she switched KTNs and she's had no issues.

Last edited by Randyk47; Jan 28, 2016 at 12:44 pm
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I agree that it probably doesn't make any difference which KTN you use. I will say my wife had PreCheck via her DoD employee status but once she enrolled in GE she switched over to the GE generated KTN. She waited until she was in a trial void with no booked travel to make the switch. It's been a year now since she switched KTNs and she's had no issues.
Thanks for the additional data point!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:59 am

Applying for GE after Precheck

Hello! Long time lurker first time poster here.

I am ashamed to admit this but I did not do my homework when I applied for TSA Precheck without learning more about Global Entry. I applied yesterday for Precheck and am hoping to get approved very soon. My question is can I apply for GE without having to pay the full fee but instead the difference in cost between the two ($15)? I think I know the answer but I thought I'd ask anyway. TIA
Old Feb 17, 2016, 8:59 am

Unfortunately you'll have to pay the full $100 fee. The programs are operated by different arms of DHS. I'd push off applying for GE until you know that you're going to need it.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by danib62
Unfortunately you'll have to pay the full $100 fee. The programs are operated by different arms of DHS. I'd push off applying for GE until you know that you're going to need it.
Second the recommendation. The thing I found funny was that the KTNs are not shared across the programs. Wife had a KTN for PreCheck but got a whole new one when she applied for and got GE. I skipped directly to GE so only have the one KTN.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 9:34 am

I should do my homework next time. Oh well. Thanks, guys.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 4:43 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Consider NEXUS (which is $50 and gets you fast access to Canada), if you're willing to travel to a NEXUS enrollment center. (Nearest one to CHI is probably Detroit.)
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
There are some credit cards and frequent traveler programs that will reimburse you for the $100 GE charge too... AMEX Plat is one, I know there are others as well.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the lead time for your international travel, it can take some time for GE to clear, to obtain an appointment and for what are hopefully minor issues to resolve.

I would not apply for GE until Pre-Check clears, but I also would not wait around to apply for GE unless you know that you won't be doing any international travel for a while.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriot TE
Already have Precheck and going for Global Entry -- same KTN?

Obviously, I got precheck before doing my research as I should have just gotten GE...

Just wondering if my known traveller number will change once I get GE approved?

And, does already having precheck speed up the approval process for GE?

Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by p0rkbelly
Obviously, I got precheck before doing my research as I should have just gotten GE...

Just wondering if my known traveller number will change once I get GE approved?

And, does already having precheck speed up the approval process for GE?

Thanks!
You will get a new KTN. I don't think having PreCheck speeds up the GE approval process.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Consider NEXUS (which is $50 and gets you fast access to Canada), if you're willing to travel to a NEXUS enrollment center. (Nearest one to CHI is probably Detroit.)
This. If NEXUS is an offer, it costs half what GE does and also gives you GE in addition to expedited Canadian customs and (at least at the airports I've used it) security lines. And yes, if you do GE first then NEXUS, you have to pay for both.

The worst order would be PreCheck, GE, NEXUS, as you'll pay for all three. NEXUS will basically get you all 3 for $50, although it does require going to a far more limited set of enrollment centers (at major Canadian airports and several other near-the-border spots).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.