Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling With Non PreCheck Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by JW6130
I've noticed this as well recently. PreCheck is now packed with kids and the elderly. Just a few days ago, I saw an elderly woman who looked really lost entering security, and I asked to see her boarding pass. Sure enough--PreCheck. I guided her to the line, and she told me she had no idea what PreCheck meant.

I wonder what the government cutoff age is to be considered "elderly" for PreCheck purposes.

I recently got to go through PreCheck with my daughter, while my wife was accused of having explosives residue on her hands and whisked away to a private room with a screaming baby in hand. I'm glad the TSA has learned to profile people carrying babies as a risk.
Your wife isn't a nurse, is she? My wife is an ICU nurse and she once was told the same...explosive residue. Turns out she had had to dose a patient with a nitroglycerin
tablet the night before.....oopps...lol.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Last weekend I flew LAX/OAK on Friday afternoon, and OAK/LAX on Saturday morning. I printed both boarding passes in the same transaction at the same kiosk at LAX on Friday, and DID NOT get Precheck ot the outbound, and DID get it on the way back!

So, I guess I was only a potential threat in one direction!

Anyway, I guess it's totally random. Don't try'n figure it out!

Old Feb 16, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: DL 1MM Charter DM / Hilton Diamond
TSA Pre-Check for Family

I though anybody and everybody gets pre-check now...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by JW6130

I wonder what the government cutoff age is to be considered "elderly" for PreCheck purposes.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...s-75-and-older
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I noticed that at ORD this weekend. Lots of families with little kids, some in strollers, getting Pre-Check. The Pre-Check line was slower than the standard line. TSO called for a bag check on a stroller, then left the stroller and the family bags on the conveyor for 7 or 8 minutes waiting for someone to come do a bag check. That blocked the conveyor, they stopped it and no one got to move through the system until that happened.
ORD has been a disaster with pre check. I have been their four straight weeks and have seen similar things every time. One time I went to regular security, because it was faster. A lot of families and elderly, and I am unsure how they came up for pre check. The person checking ids actually asking/explaining pre check to people. Not sure how tsa can sell pre check if it is worse.

Last edited by troyintn; Feb 16, 2014 at 2:31 pm
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I got GE for entire family.
Insures 100% Pre-check.
Used to get stink-eye from Dragon when we would walk up as they were ready to tell me should couldn't go in line.
Back in the good old days, TSA would comment that she was the youngest Pre-Check he had seen at MSP.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by rthib
I got GE for entire family.
Insures 100% Pre-check.
Used to get stink-eye from Dragon when we would walk up as they were ready to tell me should couldn't go in line.
Back in the good old days, TSA would comment that she was the youngest Pre-Check he had seen at MSP.
GE has a very high percentage but it does not insure 100%
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Lots of dicussion on all these questions/comments/issues in the Trusted Travel section of FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Krankenfaren
I can't bring 13 and 16 year old through pre-check with us, can I? It doesn't make sense they would have a reservation that gives one adult, one 5 year old pre check and not the another 13 year old minor. What parent would let a 13 year olf go through regular security by herself?
It is still three separate reservations, despite your linking.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by CDKing
Lots of dicussion on all these questions/comments/issues in the Trusted Travel section of FT

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/
...which is the new home for this discussion, as it has nothing to do with Delta Air Lines or the SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Can't explain your wife getting it, but that's why your one child did and not the other two. Often, the adult with the qualifying child gets it, or your wife may have randomly gotten it, or your wife may have something in her profile which causes TSA to think she isn't a threat. We'll likely never know for sure. As for your five year old, though, it's a given.
The last sentence is only a given if there is a PreCheck companion,
and even then the U12 or even a U2/U3/U4/U5/U6 may not even be given it on the boarding pass while the child pax mainly still is entitled to PreCheck LLL screening when accompanied by any PreCheck eligible passenger regardless of what is on the boarding pass of the child scheduled to depart then from that airport.

The fact of the matter is that even the adult with the accompanying U12 child may not get PreCheck LLL and may even get haraSSSSment selected whether or not the young children's boarding passes indicate PreCheck LLL or not. [I've seen it even hit GE members at ORD last week, and it makes for an interesting scene when the travel parties consist of a single adult with two pre-pre-school children on the same ticketed itinerary and the "older" pre-KG children are PreCheck LLL but the younger of the pre-pre-school/pre-KG children are not while the accompanying adult on the same PNR is an ICS/haraSSSSment target.]
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsumegan
It is still three separate reservations, despite your linking.
Linked reservations or not, single PNR or not, in the scenario of 13+ years-old children without PreCheck on their own boarding passes, that can and often does scuttle plans to go through the same security screening all the way on a given day unless abandoning the PreCheck line at the start.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:53 am

Recently flew from LAX to Hawaii with wife, sister, and brother-in-law. I am a 2,000,000 mile lifetime Premier Platinum with United, so I was expecting TSA Pre-Check as I have received in the past. Instead, my wife, sister, and brother-in-law got pre-check and I didn't. I asked at Premier Access check-in and was told that the word of the day was random. Same thing happened on return trip. Amazing.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkc71
Hi,
I'm traveling on a USAir flight, using AA frequent flyer numbers. I went to check in myself and two others for our flight tomorrow AM. Everything was fine, until I created the boarding passes. I have TSA pre-check...it did not print on my boarding pass but printed on the boarding pass of another traveler who does not have pre-check. I logged back in to verify FF numbers were correct on the USAir site and they are. I can't get through to the 800 - it says they are getting too many calls. Any suggestions on what to do? That could be a scary technical glitch giving pre-check to someone who doesn't qualify.

Thanks!
Same problems... Is there anything to be done about this for those of us with a PASS ID before flight?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ual1k
Recently flew from LAX to Hawaii with wife, sister, and brother-in-law. I am a 2,000,000 mile lifetime Premier Platinum with United, so I was expecting TSA Pre-Check as I have received in the past. Instead, my wife, sister, and brother-in-law got pre-check and I didn't. I asked at Premier Access check-in and was told that the word of the day was random. Same thing happened on return trip. Amazing.
The AA <SSSS> selectee I saw at ORD was flying AA and has flown AA a huge amount too -- and I say that as someone who has flown millions of miles myself. Random ridiculousness is indeed quite amazing.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 12, 2017 at 6:46 pm Reason: Term not used in the Trusted Travelers forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.