Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck for RETIRING military members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum

I've tried searching the forums to no avail on this question...

Any active duty service member can place there DOD ID number (on the back of your military ID card) into the KTN box when making a reservation and receive TSA PreCheck status at the airport.

But what about someone is active duty today...and retiring this summer? I will still have a DOD ID number, but will it pass as a KTN once I retire?

I ask because I may be taking a job where I am flying quite often and I want to have PreCheck for the obvious reasons. I'm just wondering if I can save the $85 application fee by using my DOD ID # from here on out...

Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:23 pm
Company Representative, TSA

It will stop working. TSA Pre✓™ integration with the Department of Defense is linked directly with the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC). That is how we pull DoD ID numbers into our system for KTN use.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TSAPressSec
It will stop working. TSA Pre✓™ integration with the Department of Defense is linked directly with the Defense Manpower Data Center (DMDC). That is how we pull DoD ID numbers into our system for KTN use.
Ahhh - so even though I will still have a valid DoD ID number because I will be on the retirement list - there will be a delineation between active-duty and non-active-duty DoD ID #s?
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by splatkid10
Ahhh - so even though I will still have a valid DoD ID number because I will be on the retirement list - there will be a delineation between active-duty and non-active-duty DoD ID #s?
Yes, since DMDC will delete that functionality. I will check on Monday how quickly that occurs after retirement and get you a complete answer.

UPDATED: DMDC is required to send to TSA any updates to employee status on a daily basis. That includes personnel being added and/or removed.

Last edited by TSAPressSec; Jun 21, 2014 at 10:03 pm Reason: Updated information
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
The only exception would be if the job you take is DOD civilian, that way your DOD ID number matches your retired ID number. I'm retired and DOD civilian and retired Navy and the numbers are identical, although I had already qualified KTN as a Global Entry holder.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by wb9tio
The only exception would be if the job you take is DOD civilian, that way your DOD ID number matches your retired ID number. I'm retired and DOD civilian and retired Navy and the numbers are identical, although I had already qualified KTN as a Global Entry holder.
However, all DoD civilians must opt-in via milConnect to participate in TSA Precheck using their DoD ID #. Only after that opt-in is complete, will DMDC send TSA the data for civilian employees.

Last edited by TSAPressSec; Jun 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm Reason: Updated information
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wb9tio
Sounds like I should go to the TSA precheck office sometime this week and try to get that taken care of.

How are you such a FF as a DOD civ? I mean, what kinda role do you have in the govt that you fly that much?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Do you know the background for this decision, ie, someone is 'trusted' while on active duty, but after 20+ years of active duty, s/he immediately becomes 'untrusted' on the day s/he retires?
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Do you know the background for this decision, ie, someone is 'trusted' while on active duty, but after 20+ years of active duty, s/he immediately becomes 'untrusted' on the day s/he retires?
I would be glad to check to get the complete answer, but I know it was part of the agreement TSA signed with DoD. I believe it had to do with the recurrent vetting process for current military/civilian employees. Again, I will get you the complete answer.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

I would be glad to check to get the complete answer, but I know it was part of the agreement TSA signed with DoD. I believe it had to do with the recurrent vetting process for current military/civilian employees. Again, I will get you the complete answer.
Recurrent? My secret clearance gets checked once every ten years...

That said, to what the poster above mentioned about our vetting vs TSA agents.... +100...those guys are a frigging joke. Sorry TSAPressSec...it's true.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chollie
That's pretty much a standard thing across the board.

Just as an example - many active duty military personnel are entrusted with select-fire weapons and explosive devices. The day they retire, they are immediately "untrusted" and can no longer legaly access those implements - retired military personnel are treated just like everyone else.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I must maintain my Secret clearance as a DoD civilian (due to my job). The fact that I am also retired military does not make me any more trustworthy for TSA purposes.
many active duty military personnel are entrusted with select-fire weapons and explosive devices. The day they retire, they are immediately "untrusted"
Correct. I can no longer explode C-4, but, I would think that retired military who are also DoD civilains might be a little bit trusted by TSA. I think the same vetting process took place for my military Secret and my civilian Secret clearances.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by relangford
I would think that retired military who are also DoD civilains might be a little bit trusted by TSA.
DoD civilians who opt-in to the program on MilConnect have the same PreCheck privileges as active duty military.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Signed up as a walk-in today. It's amazing how the site said the center has no appointments for 45 days...I showed up at 7:55, was the 5th person in line...had the pre-app done...was out of there by 8:45. EZ
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:39 am

KTN and TSA Pre Check for military retirees?

It is my understanding that retired military will not get a KTN using their DOD ID number. Can TSA verify this?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.