Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Do I even bother trying for Global Entry if I have 5 misdemeanors on my record?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I even bother trying for Global Entry if I have 5 misdemeanors on my record?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by factory81
Is that not true? I was told you can deduct clothing you purchase for work, credit card annual fees you use for work, and other work expenses (that work doesn't cover) on your personal taxes/
You might want to read up on tax laws and speak to an accountant. If you're in a job where you're flying business class, I can almost guarantee that your work clothing is not tax deductible.
Old May 11, 2014, 1:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You might want to read up on tax laws and speak to an accountant. If you're in a job where you're flying business class, I can almost guarantee that your work clothing is not tax deductible.
Indeed, as an IRS audit may otherwise result in a materially unwelcome outcome for the tax filer.

Tax debts/delinquency, by the way, don't ordinarily result in GE denial.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:03 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
In case anyone's curious why I said what I did about the tax deductibility of work clothing, this is from the IRS:

Work Clothes and Uniforms

You can deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes if the following two requirements are met.

* You must wear them as a condition of your employment.
* The clothes are not suitable for everyday wear.

It is not enough that you wear distinctive clothing. The clothing must be specifically required by your employer. Nor is it enough that you do not, in fact, wear your work clothes away from work. The clothing must not be suitable for taking the place of your regular clothing.

Examples of workers who may be able to deduct the cost and upkeep of work clothes are: delivery workers, firefighters, health care workers, law enforcement officers, letter carriers, professional athletes, and transportation workers (air, rail, bus, etc.).

Musicians and entertainers can deduct the cost of theatrical clothing and accessories that are not suitable for everyday wear.

However, work clothing consisting of white cap, white shirt or white jacket, white bib overalls, and standard work shoes, which a painter is required by his union to wear on the job, is not distinctive in character or in the nature of a uniform. Similarly, the costs of buying and maintaining blue work clothes worn by a welder at the request of a foreman are not deductible.

Protective clothing. You can deduct the cost of protective clothing required in your work, such as safety shoes or boots, safety glasses, hard hats, and work gloves.

Examples of workers who may be required to wear safety items are: carpenters, cement workers, chemical workers, electricians, fishing boat crew members, machinists, oil field workers, pipe fitters, steamfitters, and truck drivers.

Military uniforms. You generally cannot deduct the cost of your uniforms if you are on full-time active duty in the armed forces. However, if you are an armed forces reservist, you can deduct the unreimbursed cost of your uniform if military regulations restrict you from wearing it except while on duty as a reservist. In figuring the deduction, you must reduce the cost by any nontaxable allowance you receive for these expenses.

If local military rules do not allow you to wear fatigue uniforms when you are off duty, you can deduct the amount by which the cost of buying and keeping up these uniforms is more than the uniform allowance you receive.

You can deduct the cost of your uniforms if you are a civilian faculty or staff member of a military school.
None of the examples given -- with the exception of professional athletes -- are probably in the demographic that's paying out of pocket for business class work-related travel.
Old May 11, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Don't waste your $100 on applying for GE. You will likely be denied. I was denied for 1 misdemeanor. Money flushed down the toilet.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:59 am

I've got to be honest, to me, the probation violations seem like they'd be even more of a red flag than the misdemeanors. If someone's already shown more than once that they can't follow a set of rules that were laid out for them I have to think it's pretty reasonable to assume that they probably haven't demonstrated behaviour that qualifies them for GE. (I'm not trying to be judgemental here, I just think that's how the record would be looked at).
Old Jun 20, 2014, 2:13 pm

It took a little over 6 weeks for me. I didn't get a email with status update.

App submitted: 4/24/14
Conditional Approval: 6/8/2014
Interview: 6/20/2014 11:15 @ LAS / UPDATE
Final Approval: 07/22/2014 via email.

Update 07/11/2014 Went to the Global Entry office to follow up on my application. It's been 3 weeks since my interview. Took a copy of my court disposition papers for my 3 cases from back in 2000-2001. Said I should hear back in 2 Weeks. On a side note I read this on my letter...

Special Instructions: Please bring your Passport, Non-Immigrant Visa, Drivers License, Naturalization Certificate and Lawful Permanent Resident Card as applicable. If your residence is different from what is listed on your driver’s license, please provide proof of residency. If you have ever been arrested please bring court documents verifying the disposition of the arrest(s), regardless of the date of arrest and the outcome.

I went on my interview today. Interview went as follow.

Asked me for my passport and ID.

CBP: Why do you want Global Entry Business or pleasure?
ME: Pleasure
CBP: Do you have any international travel planned?
ME: Yes, I'm going to CABO in Sep.
CBP: Where do you work?
ME: Walgreens

Then he took my photo and scanned both my hands. He asked me for paper work for my 3 arrest from 12 years ago. I had a print out from the FBI showing that my cases where dismissed. He also informed me that you can only have 1 convection misdemeanor and that at least 10 years have past since arrested. He scanned them into there system and informed me I should her back from Washington via email.

I listed my arrest on my form with the out comes. I read up before I applied. Just to make sure I didn't have any issues. So now I just have to wait now...

Last edited by dnLwire; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:02 pm
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Similar situation here, couple things on my record from years ago, applied for GE and didnt list my original offense (was a minor at the time didnt think it mattered). Was denied, reason being that i 'left off' the offense. I re-applied including full details, and was then denied again. I could have appealed in person but this was years back when there wasnt a GE interview location anywhere near MSP.

I applied for Pre ~2 months back, took nearly a month but they approved me.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:05 pm

I was approved today. Took 3 months for the whole process. Hope this helps others that are in the same boat as me. Now let's see what happens when I enter the country...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Congrats and good luck
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
So did the OP ever apply for TSA Pre-Check?

-AD
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airbornedaddy
So did the OP ever apply for TSA Pre-Check?

-AD
I have an amex platinum card now, and no reason to not apply not. I actually did indeed apply, all I need now is to visit one of those centers with the right documentation for an interview. But I just so happen to be working Sunday-Friday on the road (never with freetime from say...Monday-Friday during the 8-5 timeframe).

So I am trying to figure out the logistics I guess....
Old Aug 3, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: US GP, *G, HHonors Gold, SPG
________

Last edited by arrek; Aug 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by dnLwire
It took a little over 6 weeks for me. I didn't get a email with status update.

App submitted: 4/24/14
Conditional Approval: 6/8/2014
Interview: 6/20/2014 11:15 @ LAS / UPDATE
Final Approval: 07/22/2014 via email.

Update 07/11/2014 Went to the Global Entry office to follow up on my application. It's been 3 weeks since my interview. Took a copy of my court disposition papers for my 3 cases from back in 2000-2001. Said I should hear back in 2 Weeks. On a side note I read this on my letter...

Special Instructions: Please bring your Passport, Non-Immigrant Visa, Drivers License, Naturalization Certificate and Lawful Permanent Resident Card as applicable. If your residence is different from what is listed on your driver’s license, please provide proof of residency. If you have ever been arrested please bring court documents verifying the disposition of the arrest(s), regardless of the date of arrest and the outcome.

I went on my interview today. Interview went as follow.

Asked me for my passport and ID.

CBP: Why do you want Global Entry Business or pleasure?
ME: Pleasure
CBP: Do you have any international travel planned?
ME: Yes, I'm going to CABO in Sep.
CBP: Where do you work?
ME: Walgreens

Then he took my photo and scanned both my hands. He asked me for paper work for my 3 arrest from 12 years ago. I had a print out from the FBI showing that my cases where dismissed. He also informed me that you can only have 1 convection misdemeanor and that at least 10 years have past since arrested. He scanned them into there system and informed me I should her back from Washington via email.

I listed my arrest on my form with the out comes. I read up before I applied. Just to make sure I didn't have any issues. So now I just have to wait now...
You mentioned the officer said an applicant can have only 1 misdemeanor conviction and that at least 10 years have passed since arrested. The wording is a bit confusing. Did he mean "10 years have passed since the arrest for the misdemeanor"? Or an applicant can have 1 conviction misdemeanor and it has been 10 years since an applicant's most recent arrest irrelevant of the 1 conviction misdemeanor?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Switchblade: A switchblade (also known as an automatic knife, pushbutton knife, ejector knife, switch, Sprenger,[1] Springer,[2][3] flick knife, or flick blade) is a type of knife with a folding or sliding blade contained in the handle which is opened automatically by a spring when a button, lever, or switch on the handle or bolster is activated.

Me thinks you doth protest too much.
The switch or lever on the specific knife that was mentioned, and like most of the assisted opening knives you can commonly find sold legally in the US, is located on the blade and not the handle.

While the ease and speed at which it can be opened may be similar to that of a switchblade, it is not considered one by the letter of the law. Were it a switchblade, federal law bans it's importation.

Absent a local or state law that also criminalizes an assisted knife with a blade mounted lever or thumb stop, the original charge was probably incorrect and could have been challenged.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by factory81
Just thinking about this makes me want call the court up to see if they will do anything about it again.
224 four star reviews on Amazon....

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-...haw+chive+1600
I own one or two of these knives and never would have considered it a switch-blade!!

Have you tried talking to the DA or going through the process to get this (or any of your other charges) expunged?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.