Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - New Passport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Global Entry - New Passport

Hi experts:

I am currently registered for Global Entry, but I'm running out of Passport pages and I'm going to apply for a new one. My question is: do I need to go through the whole process again, or, will the US Gov't be smart enough to carry over my Global Entry record to my new passport? I poke around the GOV sites but can't find anything definitive.

Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK you need to tell the GE folks your new passport number. Then the kiosks will recognize it for GE. You can also stop by a GE office at your convenience to get the CBP sticker indicating that you have been registered/approved for GE. You do not re-do the application and pay another fee.

I suspect that the GOES website where you originally applied for GE has a feature to register your new passport, but I haven't yet tried to do this. I just remember the officer telling me about how to handle passport replacement during my original GE interview.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: Status Free
Could You Add Pages Instead?

If your expiry is a while away, why not just add more pages?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Hi experts:

I am currently registered for Global Entry, but I'm running out of Passport pages and I'm going to apply for a new one. My question is: do I need to go through the whole process again, or, will the US Gov't be smart enough to carry over my Global Entry record to my new passport? I poke around the GOV sites but can't find anything definitive.

Thanks
You need to stop by a Global Entry office (no need to make an appointment) and tell them you have a new passport, they need to make the change in the database. Takes about 5 minutes
Old Nov 13, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Log into your GOES account to add your new passport number. Then go to the office when convenient. I believe you can use GE with the new passport even if you haven't been to the office, but I haven't put that to the test.

BTW, as for the other question, the price of new pages is so high you're better off paying for a new passport in most cases. I tried to do a break-even calculation, and came up with any passport over 3 years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19215658-post20.html
Old Nov 13, 2012, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
Log into your GOES account to add your new passport number. Then go to the office when convenient. I believe you can use GE with the new passport even if you haven't been to the office, but I haven't put that to the test.

BTW, as for the other question, the price of new pages is so high you're better off paying for a new passport in most cases. I tried to do a break-even calculation, and came up with any passport over 3 years:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19215658-post20.html
Thanks. I'm going to try again for US States Department to give me a 48-page passport. I can't believe they rejected my request last time and only given me a 24-page passport. I run out of visa pages after just 1.5 years, I travel internationally at least 10 times a year to MULTIPLE destinations on each trip. I really don't understand the rationale of only given me a 24-page last time when I had no problem getting 48-page the two times prior.

Yeah, thanks for all the answers. I found on GOES that you can change your passport number, and the wording on the website may it sound like that's all you needed to do... makes me nervous... I will probably visit a GE office just to be safe...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Thanks. I'm going to try again for US States Department to give me a 48-page passport. I can't believe they rejected my request last time and only given me a 24-page passport. I run out of visa pages after just 1.5 years, I travel internationally at least 10 times a year to MULTIPLE destinations on each trip. I really don't understand the rationale of only given me a 24-page last time when I had no problem getting 48-page the two times prior.
THey did that to me, too. No explanation.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
CBP instructed me just to change the passport number in GOES and I didn't need to come in to change it. Haven't tested it yet though!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 4:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JujuJLT
CBP instructed me just to change the passport number in GOES and I didn't need to come in to change it. Haven't tested it yet though!
How will you get the CBP sticker on your NEW pp?--some places look for sticker.
[If, say, the GE terminals are "down", you are supposed to be able to jump the queue and go to the next agent--but without the sticker, how would they know you are GE?]
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Ive never needed the sticker -I suppose the GE card would work though.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nrr
How will you get the CBP sticker on your NEW pp?--some places look for sticker.
[If, say, the GE terminals are "down", you are supposed to be able to jump the queue and go to the next agent--but without the sticker, how would they know you are GE?]
You could bring your old (stickered) passport until you've had a chance to get a new sticker. A new sticker takes 3 minutes at the CBP office, without an appointment. Sure, it's a detour at some airports, but I would still do it eventually. I just wouldn't make a special trip--either do it on the outbound if you have time, or during a layover, or on a return.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drewguy
You could bring your old (stickered) passport until you've had a chance to get a new sticker. A new sticker takes 3 minutes at the CBP office, without an appointment. Sure, it's a detour at some airports, but I would still do it eventually. I just wouldn't make a special trip--either do it on the outbound if you have time, or during a layover, or on a return.
I would think (and hope) that they would rather honor the GE card rather than a sticker....
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I would think (and hope) that they would rather honor the GE card rather than a sticker....
What GE card?

Stop by the office, register your new passport and get the sticker.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mre5765
What GE card?

Stop by the office, register your new passport and get the sticker.
Since the summer of 2011, new Global Entry members have been issued a card. It can be used at land borders for expedited entry into the US.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by 14940674
Since the summer of 2011, new Global Entry members have been issued a card. It can be used at land borders for expedited entry into the US.
And old GE members don't have one. Hence my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.