Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
US/Canadian-issued ABTC can only be used to access the APEC/Crew/Diplomat lane. It does not replace/waive any visa requirements. Chinese embassy webpages mentioning visa not being required is for ABTC with CHN endorsed on the back. No US/Canadian-issued ABTC will have that endorsement.

The button to renew your US/Canadian ABTC will appear in your profile 30 days before the card expiration date.

Locations confirmed up and running:
AUS
BOS (Logan) only one of the two signature pads was working (late nov 2014)
BOS (Logan) still only 1 signature panel working, and a bit of confusion, but it all worked out (Jan 2015)
CVG (Minneola Pike)
EWR
IAD signature capture working in GE enrollment center; walk-in accepted after appointments accommodated - I was in the office for less than two minutes
IAH (outside security in E, no word on inside security GE office yet)
JFK (walk-in accepted; entrance directly across from Central Diner on arrivals level, T-4)
LAS
LAX
Long Beach, CA (downtown CBP Seaport offices, not LGB airport); posted as No Walk In, but may accommodate just the signature capture
MIA
MCO
ORD
PHX (Terminal 4, behind #6 baggage carousel)
SEA (Nexus office)
SFO (walk-in)
TUS (walk-in accepted)
Washington, DC/Reagan Bldg. walked in, only person there, signature captured, walked out, all within 5 minutes
YYZ (Nexus office)
YVR (Nexus office)

Usage Experience Updates:

BKK - 11/11/14 - success, 03/19/17 - success, 05/10/17 - success
CGK - 02/20/15 - denied (exit), 05/10/17 - success (exit), 08/20/17 - success (entry)
CRK - 10/28/16 - success, but only 30 days, not 59 days for no-endorsement US issued ABTC.
CTU - 03/18/16 - denied -(APAC lane has limited hours)
CUN - 12/30/17 & 12/27/19 - success (with family) but difficult to enter express lane due to pushback from line monitor
DMK - 9/20/17 inbound - success, had to go under lane ropes; use Official/Diplomatic, not Crew. No APEC markings.
DPS - 03/08/15 - success but with pushback (exit)
GMP - 09/18/14 - success, 03/18/15 - success (arrival)
HKG - 09/21/14 - success, 02/28/15 - success, 02/29/15 - success (exit), 3/18/17 success, 3/19/17 - success (exit)
HKT - 12/23 - success on entry - sign says +1 allowed and "THA" endorsement required, but didn't even check the back of card. On departure the APEC lane was not staffed
HND - 07/30/14, 03/30/23 - success - lane in clearly marked
ICN - 09/13/14 - success, 03/24/25 - success (departure)
KUL - 03/10/16 - success
MEX - 06/28/15 - success, 7/11/17 - success
MNL - 11/27/2015 - success (T1) (business visa not necessary for U.S. citizens) 59 days (depends on agent training. Most give 59, some give only 30, (Oct 2018))
NRT - 12/1/2014 - success both inbound and outbound immigration (visa not needed); 9/25/17 - inbound success
PEK - 07/25/14 - success (T3)
POM - 11/01/15 - denied, PNG immigration has a sign saying "only endorsed ABTC cards"
PVG - 07/24/14 - success (T2)
PVR - 11/2018, 4/2021 success (with family),4/2023 fail
SGN - 09/04/2014 - success (visa on arrival), 02/15/2017 - denied (visa on arrival)
SHA - 11/10/2014 - success
SJD - 6/2017 & 6/2018 - success (with family)
SIN - 2/3/2016 - denied, 5/3/2017 - success; 9/16/17 - success at APEC lane
TPE - 07/24/14 - success (T2), 9/30 - success (T1), 10/12 - Denied (T2), 02/24/2015 - success (T1), 5/11 & 5/13 - success (T1)
YUL - 11/2014 - success inbound (repeatedly into 2016 via dip line)
YVR - 06/2015 - success inbound
YYZ - 07/2016 - Success inbound
SCL - 04/02/2017 - Success inbound
LIM - 12/04/2017 - Success inbound

China land crossings from HK:
Lo Wu, Lok Ma Chau, Huanggang, Shenzhen Bay - 09/29/14 reported - success

China Train crossings from HK:
Dongguan and Guangzhou - 09/29/14 reported - success
Hung Hom (Hong Kong's International Train Station) - 04/30/15 - success in both directions

China Seaports from HK/Macau:
Shekou, Zhongshan, Zhuhai and Baoan and and Macau/China ferry terminal in Hong Kong - 09/29/14 reported - success

[On all above China-HK crossings look, to use ABTC to enter/exit China, look for the "Special" counters]

For CGK: Go to line marked 3 on left side just before main immigration hall. If you get to line in main hall you've gone too far. Do not use crew line.

Print Wikipost

US/Canadian Issued APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC): Updates, Experiences, Q&A

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2015, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
You are operating under the assumption that the visa information is tailored individually by each embassy.

It's more likely the visa policy (and English translation) is determined from Beijing and each embassy just "copy and paste" on to their sites to avoid differences with the party line.

If you search for "Holders of Valid APEC Business Travel Card"" among the website for the Chinese embassy in the UK and Australia, you will see the same information. UK is not even part of APEC.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:18 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Nov 3, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles Gold, PAL Mabuhay Miles
I posted a couple of months ago about my experience in MNL; I got an entry stamp that said "APEC" instead of the usual 30-day stamp for a US passport. This would seem to indicate that I got the 59-day ABTC visa, but I was staying less than 30 days, so I wasn't able to check.

This time I'll be in the country about 55 days, and I got the "APEC" entry stamp again upon entry to MNL. I went to my normal agency to extend my visa anyway, assuming that as a US passport holder and a non-endorsed ABTC holder, I would only be eligible for 30 days without extension. They told me that it was good for 59 days. I didn't believe them, and showed them my card, saying it was non-endorsed, and for good measure I'd rather get it renewed instead of encountering any potential trouble in MNL on my way out. Their immigration liaison (who happened to be in the office during my visit) said the same thing. I asked them to send my passport, ABTC, and application for extension to the Bureau of Immigration anyway, and they agreed (I'm a regular customer, no charge unless the application was processed). A week later, I got it back. Immigration stated (verbally to the agent) that I didn't need an extension, that my visa was valid for 59 days.

So now I have my submitted application for an extension (with a stamp from Immigration saying it was received) to show that I tried, just in case I get hassled exiting MNL in 3 weeks. I don't know if this is because of the APEC summit that will be held here in the 3rd week of November that they're being flexible, but if it pans out, it looks like Americans traveling to Philippines with an ABTC might be getting a 59-day visa, which will be fantastic for me and save me about $3-400 per year in visa extensions, as I'm generally here for about 6-8 weeks at a time for business.

If I'm not detained upon exiting MNL ;-) I'll report back as soon as I leave with an update on if it worked.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:41 pm

Let us know. I'm about to do my usual 30 day (exactly) stint about the same time you leave. I always get paranoid about IRROPS.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: Basement Lurker Club
Just for another data point for you, don't want to get you all worried up, but... I was in Cebu just as the APEC conference was going on down there at the end of August. When I showed them my unendorsed ABTC card, the officer verbally confirmed with me that it wasn't good for the extended stay and wanted to make sure I was going to stay less than 30 days or apply for an extension. This was coming into Cebu from HKG at immigration counter. In the "stay until" line in the stamp, he wrote in ABTC though. Be prepared for the worst! Good luck.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:22 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Nov 6, 2015, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I'm worried about exactly that. But I do have a couple of things going for me:
- I'm leaving the day after the APEC conference in Manila, so they may just see a lot of them and let it go.
- I have a stamped (by Bureau of Immigration) application to extend my visa dated before my original 30 days expired. I made a good faith effort to pay for an extension. Hopefully that will give me some leeway.

In any event, I'm going to check in as many hours early for my flight as I possibly can, just in case there are "issues."

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:22 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Nov 7, 2015, 2:19 am

My experience with three trips to MNL over the last five months:

- First two trips: received the 59 day permission to stay with 'APEC' noted next to the stamp

- Last trip (early October): received the usual 29 day permission to stay. I think perhaps they have briefed on the 'no extended stay' rule in the last couple of months.

The immigration officer looked at my ABTC each time but I do not remember whether he looked at the back.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Gate Lice, Credit Card Cattle
Originally Posted by orangutan
I did sent a message to:
[email protected]

and also filled out their online feedback/complaint form:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?page...nefeedbackform
As an update, I received a reply from Singapore Immigration a few days after sending my online feedback regarding the bad treatments encountered by non-endorsed US/Canada ABTC members.

------

Dear Sir,

We refer to your email on 26 Oct 2015.
ICA appreciates the time you have taken to highlight the matter. We note your feedback / suggestions and we have highlighted your email to the work unit concerned.
Thank you.

Yours sincerely,
Customer Relations Officer
Immigration & Checkpoints Authority
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:08 pm

After reading a few post about treatment, I decided to use my card coming into SIN on the 7th to see the response.

Nothing was said, other than a couple of work related questions. I'm here for an IATA event but again, no comments otherwise.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
No problem using it to get the short lines at:
* NRT immigration
* BKK immigration and exit lines
* SIN immigration
* CRK immigration

Exit lines at KIX and SIN were too short to be worth bothering to check for an ABTC line at exit. Will see if it helps any with exit lines at MNL tomorrow...

eta: MNL was weird, there was an APEC line but there was no wait at the regular line so didn't bother. Was putting it away as I got up to the exit immigrations agent who saw it in my hand, and asked to see it anyway. Asked if I was part of the APEC delegation; I don't think the agents there are well-informed about the ABTC.

Last edited by nkedel; Nov 12, 2015 at 10:45 pm
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, TK Elite (*Gold), AA EXP (matched and prob not for long!)
Originally Posted by ec6863
please do.. part of why i got the card was to avoid getting visas
So yes just reporting back here to confirm that for Vietnam you do need a visa (or visa on arrival pre-authorization) even with the USA ABTC. Not much of a surprise and glad I didn't take a chance.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: AC*E 50k
Just curious if anybody has tried using Us/Canada non-endorsed APEC Card in China with a non-business visa. I know that is not in the spirit of the APEC scheme, but if I can avoid getting a new visa, it would be a huge timesaver. Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2015, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Much easier time in SG yesterday...then again the immigration hall was completely empty and although I decided to just use a non-APEC lane, the APEC lane inspector waved me over. I showed her the card, she looked at it and handed it back with a comment I couldn't hear, but from her demeanor, there was nothing wrong (unlike the last one).
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:13 pm

59-day visa good in MNL

Just landed in Narita. With a non-endorsed U.S. ABTC, got the "APEC" note on my visa when I arrived in Manila 51 days ago; after a little trepidation, I was stamped out at NAIA T2 Immigration with no problem, just a question if I was there for the APEC conference or business.

So confirming that if you get the APEC stamp in MNL, it's good for 59 days rather than the standard 30, even with a U.S. ABTC. 😎😎
Old Nov 21, 2015, 5:36 am

Don't count on it. I was through MNL last month, used my ABTC and got 29 days.

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:23 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:01 am

I agree you shouldn't count on getting it when arriving; I've gotten the 29 days too. But if the agent writes "APEC" on your initial stamp, it is valid for the 59 days. I even tried to extend it after 24 days and they said I didn't have to (see my previous posts on the last couple of pages about this).

Last edited by essxjay; Nov 24, 2015 at 12:23 am Reason: unnecessary wholesale quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.