Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Got SSSS - Can I still use Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA

Flying LHR - USA and, unfortunately, got SSSS. Will I still be able to use Global Entry, or will CBP send me to the regular line?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I don't see why not. No one will stop you from going to the GE kiosks on arrival. Would be curious if you get flagged again at GE though.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA-EP, A3*G, UA*S
Yes, have gotten SSSS a couple of times with no issues at CBP using GE. Have also had some travel companions with no GE who got SSSS but no further questions on arrival at CBP either, so it's my impression quad has no bearing on CBP.
VegasGambler and safari ari like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by golfer20
Flying LHR - USA and, unfortunately, got SSSS. Will I still be able to use Global Entry, or will CBP send me to the regular line?
GE should work just fine.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:40 am

GE in MIA worked just fine for my husband on Sunday after he got SSSS at PUJ coming home. He was also able to have his connection boarding pass reprinted at the counter in MIA to get pre-check.

(Security by the international exit was 30+ minutes & pre was closed. All the other checkpoints had a less than 5 minute wait, so we went for a walk)
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:47 am

The us government requires a certain amount of secondary screening for flights into the US. In the us they do this more via the beeps when you go thru screening where they then say you have been picked for random additional screening or something like that, outside the us it is more the ssss but it has nothing to do with boarder control and zero impact on GE. Based on my own experience I would say it is over 20 percent of the time I get secondary screening when coming from LHR, never had a GE issue.
LupineChemist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
SSSS is NOT about immigration but about another security search immediatoy before you board the plane.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will update after my arrivals experience.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
SSSS is NOT about immigration but about another security search immediatoy before you board the plane.
Seems right - I got stabbed in LHR, and asked a few basic questions about my reason for travel.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I used to get SSSS all the time until I submitted a request for review and received a redress number. The security screening at international stations was usually easy. In comparison, if youre connecting domestically, the screening is thorough and arduous (IME). They go through every last item of your carryons and you get a full pat down.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by tismfu
I used to get SSSS all the time until I submitted a request for review and received a redress number. The security screening at international stations was usually easy. In comparison, if youre connecting domestically, the screening is thorough and arduous (IME). They go through every last item of your carryons and you get a full pat down.
I think you're talking about TSA secondary versus CBP secondary. TSA secondary (SSSS) is very straightforward and happens before boarding, usually just a couple questions about where you've traveled recently and what your purpose of travel is. CBP secondary is usually after/during immigration and is the one where you'll have your carry on emptied and be patted down in a cold dark room.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:43 pm

You'll be fine. I got the dreaded 4S treatment flying LHR-ORD a couple years back and had no issues using GE on arrival in Chicago. Honestly getting selected for the extra screening had a rather nice unforeseen perk. After completing the screening process (they just swabbed a few of my electronics and asked a question or two) instead of being sent back to the departure area they sent me down the jet bridge which was awesome since I was like the 15th person to board the upper deck on the A380 which meant no fighting for overhead bin space. In fact I managed to get a small bin all to myself which was fantastic so for once I was glad I got 4S'd!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:54 am
Original Poster

"Passport?" was my only questopn from CBP.
Thanks all!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
"Passport?" was my only questopn from CBP.
Thanks all!
My daughter was SSSSed in Madrid a few years ago. It had zero effect on her ability to use Global Entry at CLT.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Being SSSSed is generally not a fast track to the Global Entry member being denied an ability to use Global Entry on arrival.

I had many back-to-back and other SSSS hits on my LHR-US AA flights in the run up to my GE application, so much so that the AA security contractors and AA people working the AA LHR transit desk remembered me; and even the AA contract checkers at the gate would sometimes remember searching me and be sort of like you, again?. My GE application was conditionally approved in less than 24 hours from submission, and the interviews questions didnt have much to do with me. Both application and interview were done within less than 24 hours after I had arrived back into the US off a flight where I had been SSSSed. Never had a problem with GE applications when coming off flights with those SSSS hits. And I actually had less irregularities happen with GE kiosk use and real-person CBP interaction when coming off my flights with SSSS hits than when coming in from LHR on my flights without SSSS hits.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
SSSS on my return flight from FRA to ATL (on Lufthansa )…no issues with GE at ATL….but at FRA, got the foot massage special twice, and carry on got a thorough going over. Surprisingly, German security never said a word to me about my travel, other than passport bitte….

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.