Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry vs NEXUS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by monkeshine
Global entry is 5 years as well, according to the CBP website.

I found this thread searching on Google. I find myself doing more int'l travel this year and probably more again next year. Just came in from YYZ the other day.

It appears you need NEXUS to go through Canada (but not all airports) but that is Canada specific. Global Entry is when you arrive from other int'l destinations. And there is some kind of nascent reciprocity with the Netherlands, though, I'm not sure how that works. I wonder if it is better to clear through Amsterdam when traveling to Europe if you are a Global Entry traveler and need to commute. It probably makes no sense if your destination is a major hub like Paris or London or Rome though since you'd waste more time transiting than waiting in customs lines.

So for me, a semi-frequent traveler to Canada and Europe, it may be worth joining both Global Entry and Nexus.

Though I did notice that "
Current approved NEXUS or SENTRI members, who are U.S. Citizens or U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, can now apply for Global Entry trusted traveler program at no additional cost via the Global Online Enrollment System GOES web site."

http://www.globalentry.gov/howtoapply.html
It is much better to go NEXUS to GE for various reasons.

BTW, the "5 year" rule can actually be closer to 6. It expires on your 5th birthday after enrollment. For example, I enrolled in January but my birthday is in November. I get almost a full year extra.

Originally Posted by dgwright99
GE is supposed to give front-of-line privildges on arrival at US airports without GE machines.

Does that apply at Canadian airports with pre-clearance ?
Your post is old, but it does now. GE holders now get to use the crew line at pre-clearance airports. Can't use the NEXUS kiosks without NEXUS and no special services line or kiosks into Canada, but you save a lot of hassle this way.

Originally Posted by OP604
My whole Canadian family got postcards telling us that as nexus members we can join GE free. The instructions are to login to our GOES account. I did that, and chose 'join a program' but GE is greyed out - can't join it! I can only join SENTRI and FAST programs.

So thanks for nothing, I guess. Naturally there is no explanation.

Does a Canadian with a nexus card use that to enter the US (assuming he did not pre-clear when leaving Canada)? Are nexus cards now automatically recognized by GE kiosks, without the need to register?

It's very confusing. Seems like a waste to mail out those postcards (esp. since I got two so far).
The authoritative threads on this subject are the NEXUS Information Thread on the Aeroplan forum and the "Global Entry, is it worth it?" thread in TS/S.

Anyway, here is the great thing. You don't have to do ANYTHING to start using GE if you did the 10 fingerprint protocol when enrolling or renewing for NEXUS. You just start using it and go to a GE office at your leisure to get the CBP sticker to get FOL privileges in case of down kiosks or a rare non-GE airport. If you haven't had the 10 fingerprint protocol, you will get an email saying you need to go have your prints done, and you can do that at any NEXUS or GE office. Either way, you don't need to click on the GE enrollment button because they automatically enrolled all NEXUS members.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by LessO2
If you fly in from a Canadian airport that doesn't have U.S. preclearance areas (Victoria, Saskatoon, Kelowna, for example), you can use the GE machine since you will have to clear when you arrive in the U.S.
Hard to take advantage of this, too, from some cities. The daily US flights from YXE and YQR are to ORD, MSP and DEN. Only ORD, of those three, has Global Entry.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A

Your post is old, but it does now. GE holders now get to use the crew line at pre-clearance airports. Can't use the NEXUS kiosks without NEXUS and no special services line or kiosks into Canada, but you save a lot of hassle this way.
Cite please.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by mre5765
Cite please.
CBP at YYZ.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Can someone clarify if GE holders get priority at US Customs at non-GE airports? I've read it in a few places but never anywhere official, and never clearly.

We don't have preclearance at YQR and we have flights to DEN and MSP, which don't have GE (plus flights to ORD, PHX and LAS which do, if I recall correctly).

I'll get a GE sticker at ORD in May, but I'm curious about future MSP/DEN connections.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Can someone clarify if GE holders get priority at US Customs at non-GE airports? I've read it in a few places but never anywhere official, and never clearly.

We don't have preclearance at YQR and we have flights to DEN and MSP, which don't have GE (plus flights to ORD, PHX and LAS which do, if I recall correctly).

I'll get a GE sticker at ORD in May, but I'm curious about future MSP/DEN connections.
According to my GE helper, yes. You show the sticker and get FOL privileges.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
CBP at YYZ.
Not a citation.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:11 pm

Quote:
LessO2 actually didn't get this one right. Saskatoon to IAD (or more likely Saskatoon to ORD) would allow you to use GE, because there is no pre-clearance facility at Saskatoon. The rest were correct.

I think what LessO2 was stating here is that if a Canadian Airport has no pre-clearance, then you would not have the priviledge of expedited process while at that Canadian Airport compared to say, YYZ with Nexus Kiosk. However, once you arrive at an American Airport equipped with Global Entry, then one can use that machine if he is a GE member.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:35 pm

Exclamation Nexus and Global Clarification (My Point of View)

Land Travel:
US and Canada: Both have Nexus Lanes and Booths

Air Travel:
Canada: Nexus Machines are installed at designated Canadian Airports only. No Global Entry Kiosks.
USA: Global Entry Machines are installed at designated American Airports only. No Nexus Kiosks.

So for Air Travel Analogy: Canada is to Nexus as USA is to Global Entry.

More Specific Cases for American and Canadian Citizens:

Going from Canada to the USA or vice versa by Land Crossing:

Use Nexus Lanes on either side of the border.

Going from Canada to the USA by Air:

Use Nexus Kiosk in Canadian Airports with US pre-clearance locations (for example, YYZ)
When you arrive in the USA, you have been pre-cleared, no need to be inspected, walk out.

Going from USA to Canada by Air:

Board the plane from LAX as usual. When you land at a Canadian Airport, use Nexus Kiosk (to clear with Canadian Customs) if there is any. Walk out if cleared.

So When Do You Ever Use Global Entry Kiosk as a member of both Nexus and Global Entry?

When you enter the USA from a Canadian Airport with NO US pre-clearance section.

When you enter the USA from any other country aside from Canada.

Let us use the following as an example: YYZ, LAX and MNL (another country)

From Canada --> USA --> Another Country

From YYZ - LAX (Use Nexus in YYZ to clear US Customs).

From LAX - MNL (Regular Procedure for all Travellers)

From Another Country --> USA --> Canada:

From MNL - LAX (Use Global Entry in LAX to clear US customs)

From LAX - YYZ (Use Nexus in YYZ to clear Canadian customs)

Last edited by matwiz; Feb 27, 2011 at 12:50 pm
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
I am an American who occasionally goes to the major cities in southern Canada - Montreal, Toronto, etc. Also I go to Europe occasionally, usually via Amsterdam. Last winter I was in Montreal and had to wait in the customs line in Montreal for almost 2 hours to clear customs to fly back to the US via Detroit. If i want to avoid the long lines in Montreal when coming home from Canada and also the lines in Detroit when coming home from Amsterdam do I need both Nexus and GOES?

Thank you for any advice!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Allanf
I am an American who occasionally goes to the major cities in southern Canada - Montreal, Toronto, etc. Also I go to Europe occasionally, usually via Amsterdam. Last winter I was in Montreal and had to wait in the customs line in Montreal for almost 2 hours to clear customs to fly back to the US via Detroit. If i want to avoid the long lines in Montreal when coming home from Canada and also the lines in Detroit when coming home from Amsterdam do I need both Nexus and GOES?

Thank you for any advice!
In short: yes. Apply for Nexus and get Global Entry as a free benefit. You also save 50 bucks that way (Nexus is $50, while GE is $100). Only possible problem: if you do your Nexus interview at a station without an iris scanner, which includes most (all?) locations in the USA, you will need to add your iris scan at a suitable location later on (most locations do this without an appointment). Until then, the Nexus Air function will not work.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:35 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
I'm a GE member. At the rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, can I use the Nexus lane? If I can use my GE membership at a non GE airport to go to the front of the line, I just wonder what would happen if I went to the Nexus lane at the Rainbow Bridge crossing in a rental car.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by chugger1
I'm a GE member. At the rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, can I use the Nexus lane? If I can use my GE membership at a non GE airport to go to the front of the line, I just wonder what would happen if I went to the Nexus lane at the Rainbow Bridge crossing in a rental car.
In short: no, you cannot use the Nexus lane with Global Entry. Another reason why it makes more sense to get Nexus with GE instead of GE only.

Anecdotal evidence what might happen (before I got my Nexus membership): at the so called "Truck Crossing" near Vancouver, I accidentally got into the Nexus lane after picking up my duty free items (kiosk to the right of all lanes, right-most lane is Nexus) and couldn't get back into the regular lanes. This got me a referral to the customs officer inside the building (parking my car), a nasty look and a "Don't do this again". Even though I got of without any repercussion, I would not advise to try this.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:44 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by colonius
If you do your Nexus interview at a station without an iris scanner, which includes most (all?) locations in the USA, you will need to add your iris scan at a suitable location later on (most locations do this without an appointment). Until then, the Nexus Air function will not work.
The iris scanning stations are only located in Canada; there are none in the US. Note that the iris requirement is for immigration activities that occur in Canadian airports (including entry to Canada and US pre-clearance upon exit).
To use NEXUS in the Canadian airports, an applicant must travel to an enrollment center to have their iris captured giving him or her access to the airport kiosks to report their arrival into the US or Canada. To have your iris captured, you can travel to the Canadian airports in Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Halifax, or the Fort Erie, Canada Enrollment Center.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 3:23 pm

GE holders now get to use the crew line at pre-clearance airports.
Thanks for this info.

Has anyone seen this stated officially anywhere? Are there perhaps signs at pre-clearance pointing Global Entry members to the crew line?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.