Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Asiana (OZ) F ORD-HKG with a twist on intra asia UA F and NH C (lots of pics)(Part 1)

This is a F trip report in regards of UA raising the miles for award travel from 1/1/09. I had decided from the previous F experience on SQ, OZ, NH and UA, I am going to revisit OZ since OZ just had new seats installed plus ORD-ICN had switched to a 3 class 777 since late last November 08.

It is pretty easy this time to book award travel on UA as the first call to the award desk, I had already get the most of what I want in early December 08 for travel in mid January 09 and return mid February 09.

Agent offer me routing 1:

OZ ORD-ICN F 772 1/22/09
CA ICN-PEK F 332 1/23/09
CA PEK-HKG C 321 1/23/09

Routing 2:

OZ ORD-ICN F 772 1/22/09
UA ICN-NRT F 772 1/23/09
NH NRT-HKG Y 763 1/23/09

For the return it is

OZ HKG-ICN C 74M 2/11/09
OZ ICN-ORD F 772 2/11/09

I had ruled out for connecting to CA as I heard from previous flyertalkers if I connect through PEK, I had to go through immigration even for transfers, although not sure if no longer true, not going to take that risk, plus not a good idea to be on a narrowbody even on a short 4 hrs flight.

The problem for option 2 is the last segment on NH is Y on the 763, base on previous exprience flying Y on that flight, if I can't get bulkhead, just basically forget it, it is extremely cramp even if you get an aisle seat. Therefore, I asked the agent to hold my PNR for option 2. The agent said OZ and NH can only hold for 24 hrs. I decided to do more research on ANA tool.
Found out TG is available for ICN-HKG in C, but not bookable with UA. OZ is not available for ICN-HKG in all classes. NH is indeed only have Y on that flight. In conclusion, starnet blocking indeed happens on the TG flight, other than that, it is true for what the UA agent told me.

I proceed to look at the next day for NH NRT-HKG on 1/24/09, found that C and Y are both open on the morning 77W as well as the evening 763. I then call back UA and ask for the 77W flight, it is indeed available in C, I changed to that flight immediately and ticketed, although my taxes go up from $33 to $57, also have to pay for overnighting hotel in NRT. I have done that in the past on NH award, which is a no big deal. However, I did ask about anyway to get to F for OZ HKG-ICN, she told me just keep checking, I asked about can I change to F from C even at the day of departure if it opens, she said yes, little I know actually she is wrong, which I have serious consequences later.

Here is the link for part 2, 3, 4, and 5

OZ F lounge at ICN main terminal and concourse A + UA F ICN-NRT
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-part-2-a.html

ANA Crowne Plaza NRT + NH C NRT-HKG
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-part-3-a.html

Conrad Hong Kong
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...cs-part3b.html

KA lounge in HKG + OZ C HKG-ICN
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-part-4-a.html

OZ F ICN-ORD
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...inal-part.html

OZ, UA, NH amenities (new link)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...lso-ua-nh.html

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 23, 2009 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks to fellow flyertalker OnAMileHigh dropped me off on a snowy day in ORD T5, I proceed to the OZ F counter, it opened from 9pm-12:20am.(I doubt anyone would checkin that late at 12am, as the flight departs at 1am) There is no one checkin at the F counter. Agent checked me in, and hand me boarding pass for ORD-ICN, I then ask whatabout ICN-NRT on UA ? I know for a fact that if I don't get my boarding pass for the UA flight, I may have a hard time accessing the F lounge in ICN, as the UA flight is not going to leave til noon, my OZ flight will arrive at 6am in ICN. UA counter probably would not open til 9am or so. I insist he find someway to print my boarding pass for ICN-NRT. He then keep checking for 10 min, finally been able to get my UA F boarding pass, as well as check my luggage through NRT. He also gave me F lounge pass for ORD and ICN as well. Noted OZ had changed F color from red to yellow, C still stays with blue. My luggage tag has the usual orange *A priority, yellow F tag, and the green interline tag.

This counter is used to checkin for LX, hence you see the sign for LX as well as in the counter.

It did listed UA*G on my boarding pass, but it also said "no mile"

OZ now use JL Sakura lounge in ORD, my last flight with OZ several years ago actually use Aer Lingus Lounge, which was horrible, F and C pax all together, no separate F section or area. Someone also mentioned it had since changed to the LX lounge, but today I was given lounge pass to the JL lounge. Note from outside, it also has a sign for VS Upper Class.

The left side is for F, and the right side is for C. There is only one person inside the F lounge, I am guessing he is the other pax ? Later also saw another man in a hidden massage chair sleeping. The lounge is ok, nothing special, the usual drinks from the fridge, some snacks, but no udon de sky or soba de sky JL brand instant noodles commonly found in other JL lounges. There is one hot item, no sign of what it is, open it up and saw a plate cover in plastic wrap, inside it has several pastries, some unknown meat, and bacon wrap fish. They are just slightly warm, and see there is no warmer underneath either. I then go outside and ask the lounge agent. She said they are not allow to light up the sterno can inside the lounge, but I can use the microwave to warm up the food, and proceed to read her newspapers again. I still try to see if those snack are good or not, which are ok. WIth no TV or any music playing, I then went outside and ask if I can take a peek to the C lounge, I also saw the bathrrom is actually located right next to the entrance to the lounge, share by both F and C. C lounge is slightly bigger, with a TV of course more people but not packed. I asked the agent why there is a TV in C but not in F, she can't really answer it. I also ask about the LX lounge, she said LX lounge is too small for them. Given the size of JL lounge, I wonder how small can it be.

Very basic food item in this F lounge, I put those snack on a plate just to show what do they offer, not really the kind of stuff I expect to eat in a F lounge.

Free WiFi and power, but you have to use your own PC, most other airlines F lounge will have several computers to use, but not in this JL lounge.

A massage chair hidden in a private corner

As I was so bored inside the lounge, with no view and nothing to watch, I proceed to go to the gate.

Here is my 772 and the screen the gate

Boarding is the worst I have ever seen. It was called around 12:20am, 10 min before schedule boarding time. There is a line for all F, C, OZ diamond, and *G, the rest of the people still sitting on the seats around the gate.

Around 12:30am, no call at all, I only saw gate agent letting a stream of wheelchairs folks going into the plane, there must have at least 10. Then there is more than 10 adults with small children, some of those look like they are 10 years old, agent never said anything to stop those going in. With the travel class seem moving along but not F or C pax, someone at the front of my line actually yelled at the gate agent, then they finally stop the line in travel class moving forward. I would think they should still make a call for anyone in F board first before C class pax. This one I had to give it to UA. I have never seen UA not letting F and Global Services to board first at any time.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 18, 2009 at 3:55 am
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OZ 235 ORD-ICN
HL7775 (775) 3 class 777-200ER
Seat 2A F class
1am departure 1/22/09

Boarding was using only door 2L, when the FA saw my boarding pass, she brought me to seat 2A immediately.

After I had put my bag in the overhead bin, she hanged up my jacket, asked for my choice of beverage. I don't hesistate to ask for my favourite beverage on OZ, ginseng tea. The other FA brought me slippers, PJ, headsets, and amenity kit in the mean time. OZ is still using the old red slippers like several years ago I flew with them, PJ has the same color as the seat, and the Bvlgari BVL pour homme amenity kit.

Looking at the headset, can't believe they were still using the Y style headset like before, the Sennheiser PX2000, with the new seat why don't they also change the headset as well ? Even UA C has better noise cancelling headset !

Here is the ginseng tea with honey, the nuts are not pre-plated inside the galley, FA actually hold up a metal tray, and put the nuts on the small bowl you have. I had noticed OZ had changed to a different ginseng tea, it actually had tiny bits of ginseng, and it had a more strong flavor than before. The old one I know is from a small packet, after you pour the water, it is clear. Also there is no more of the beautiful design cup for ginseng tea anymore. The one they used to have is only to use for long haul F for green tea and ginseng tea.

The little area at the end of my seat they call it as guest seat, it is actually the extend part when my seat go to full flat 180 degrees, who can really sit at the tiny space below the TV monitor ?

IMG]http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss280/ORDnHKG/P1000741.jpg[/IMG]

Flight time today is almost 14 hours, I had done nonstop on UA ORD-HKG, it only takes 14 hrs and 30 min. I guess we have very strong headwind today. We scheduled to arrive ICN at 5:49am.

Pay attention at my photo on the top, it was showing in Japanese. It changes between Korean, Japanese, Chinese Simplified, and English, it is quite sophiscated, at least it show OZ target someone other than Koreans. This airshow is quite interesting, it actually show the map of ORD, and even after take off, it still show where is the plane now in a close up view, unfortunately, the pilot turn off this feature after an hour into the flight.

We leave the gate on time, when the engine start, it sounded like I was flying a UA 777, guess OZ is using PW4090 as well on their 772. We headed due north for Canada for quite sometime, just like flying ORD-HKG, perhaps we are using polar route ?

We have a total of 3 pax including myself, 1A is an older korean woman, which she actually set on her own bed right after the door close and go to sleep right away, I did see her coming into the F lounge just when I was leaving. FA actually put a red sticker at her TV screen, I didn't pay attention what that is, I guess it is "do not disturb" in korean. There is another korean man in 1K as well. On this 3 class 772, the pair seats in the middle 1DG and 2DG are good if you are a couple or have a companion, but those seats are clear lack of storage spaces except overhead bins. 1A and 1K has the side storage top, but you do have to hold on to your stuff as during take off your stuff may slide to 2A and 2K. 2A and 2K is best if you like to put some books on your side to read, not worry about who is behind you.

Turblence does not exist at all after takeoff, the captain turn off the seat belt sign rather quick. Since 1A woman was still sleeping, FA proceed to let me see the menus for meal order. The menus clearly from last month (December) as it show christmas drawings in the cover, take a peek at the peek, it is written "2008C4-20081201", confirmed it has been using this menus since beginning of December, hopefully I wouldn't see this menus for the return flight ICN-ORD in February.

I am too lazy my type my menus, so took a photo instead.

In the past, the three entrees are lobster therimdor, beef tenderloin steak and bi bim bap. The Lobster Therimdor was gone, it replace with something call "green salad with grilled scallop" Who would want a salad as a meal in F ?Although it has caviar in appetizer now. Many people like caviar, but I would want Lobster instead of caviar, not really a big fish egg eater, I would only care about those clear red salmon eggs.

The table is actually hidden at the side narrow top table, it is as huge as the one at the previous old F seat, although it cannot swing like the old one in case you need to go to the washroom during the meal.

Here is the table setting

Like Carfield had mentioned in his previous LAX-ICN-HKG trip report, no more cart, and no more silver dinnerware, everything is pre plated. My appetizer Sauteed Mushroom on half Tomato, lobster tail, Proscuito Ham

Tomato and garlic soup

Korean Royal Cuisine "bi bim bap"

Side dish

Desert: Cheesecake and tea

Ms 1A actually woke up when I almost finish up my dinner, I saw that she actually order the green salad with a whisky I think. I walk past her to go to the washroom to change to my PJ to get comfy, I also saw that she had the same amenity kit as I do. I wonder where is the round shape female kit like it pictured in the OZ website ? I don't really care since I has mine, but did ask the FA about the C kit. She told me C pax got no kit, C kit only has it on flights out of ICN. F on this flight is served by 3 FA, all assistant purser, with the senior purser walking back and fourth all 3 classes. Unlike UA F on the 772 and NH F on the 77W, there is only one washroom on this OZ 772. Therefore, this washroom is bigger than most.

The side panel on the left can actually come apart to use as a padded seat rather than sitting on the toilet but actually not using it.

F washroom amenities from left to right, toothbrush/paste sets, mouthwash packets, towels, combs, evian water spray, eau de cochas fragrance, biotherm lotion, and facial pads.

I also took stroll to the C washroom to see what it offers, basically is the same minus evian water spray, no biotherm products and replace by Charmzone.

Here is the Y washroom as well, I guess not bad, as least it has lotion and aftershave, comb, as well as toothbrush/paste sets. Many airlines provide nothing in Y.

After a heavy late dinner, I felt really sleepy, FA set up with the duvet, and change into a bed, I went to sleep as the flight was really smooth, no turblence at all, didn't wake up til we are getting out of Alaska.

I saw my first ever robot on OZ, this particular FA has no smile at all when she walks by, whenever she talked to me, always called me "Sir", rather than my last name. With only 2 pax in F, there is no way she couldn't memorize names. (1K turn out to be relieve captain, he went to the cockpit midflight) However, robot did offer some fruits to me after I wake up, proceed with the mid flight snack, I had the udon soup. OZ still has the same offerings as in several years ago, udon soup and hot ramen. NH in my opinion has the best mid flight snack in F of all carriers. I always love their shark fin soup in chinese noodles, others love their super cheese burgers.

Here is my fruit appetizer, and then udon with shrimp

I also turned on the airshow to see where are we, little to I know it looks like indeed we are doing a polar route, we are just a little south of north pole. If we fly a little more north, it would be the routing to HKG.

After that I watched several movies and several short subjects, Mama mia, Wall-E, an old episode of Hell's Kitchen and also several episodes of Thomas the train engine. The system was easy to use, no need to search through the movies in the program guide.

While I was still watching Wall-E, FA start to prepare for breakfest. There were three choices, but no Korean option. Cheese omelet or Banana Crepe or Pancake. I don't like all three choices at all, it should have one local option. I just choose the Banana Crepe.

Once again some fresh fruits appetizers

With the yogurt, I passed on the cereal

Banana Crepe
Served with Maple Syrup
Accompanied by Bacon and Grilled Tomato
The sugarery banana crepe, all I have eaten are the tomato and the bacon

Here is what I waited for a long time, OZ signature "Thank You Gift" for long haul F pax. Like what Carfield mentioned, other than the usual Versace Rosenthal gave out in the past, OZ now has two additional gifts to choose from, a golf CD, and the pyongyang concert CD, these are two useless unattractive gifts, I wonder what are the OZ management thinking ? Btw, I saw Ms. 1A also pick the Versace gift.

Other than the robot, the other two FA are ok, but not exceptionally from my past OZ flights, English is really lacking on all three FA in F, much worse than NH FA, nontheless I still took a photo with one if them, the other one was too shy for a photo, I was wearing OZ's PJ.

Pay attention to the black arrow I draw, that is supposed to be where the Boeing Certificate located on the 777 (next to door 1R), and there is nothing inside !!!!! I wonder if OZ had taken it away or simply doesn't have one ! This is a 2 months old 777.

Another photo in my seat

My flight actually didnot arrive ICN til 6:15am, in a really dark morning.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Feb 18, 2009 at 9:18 am
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had separated my reports being one thread for one day. It would have a total of 4 parts.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Feel free to make any positive or negative comments, questions, or suggestions.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I will take sometime off to write to last past of my trip: return to the US
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:49 am

Nice report, thanks a lot for posting all the pictures. I get the sense from your report that OZ first class offerings are not what they used to be or is this just because the flight originated ORD? I have an upcoming F itinerary from Europe to HKG and have been tempted to try OZ vs LH or others but now I'm thinking I'll skip OZ.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfjim
Nice report, thanks a lot for posting all the pictures. I get the sense from your report that OZ first class offerings are not what they used to be or is this just because the flight originated ORD? I have an upcoming F itinerary from Europe to HKG and have been tempted to try OZ vs LH or others but now I'm thinking I'll skip OZ.
Not because of originated ORD, in fact they has the same offering for all long haul F route. Flight from ICN are better, you will see my ICN-ORD report shortly.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Final Part Completed !
Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
Excellent report! Thank you very much!

You mention that the headphones are not of high quality. Are they hard-wired into the system or do they have a jack so that a passenger can bring their own headphones and plug them into the system?

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paul3456
Excellent report! Thank you very much!

You mention that the headphones are not of high quality. Are they hard-wired into the system or do they have a jack so that a passenger can bring their own headphones and plug them into the system?

Thanks
Yes, they have a jack, I didn't bother to bring mine as I thought with the new seats, they should have also changed their Y class headphones, unforunately it was not the case with OZ.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:45 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
thank you very much for the efforts. very nice reports!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Excellent report and great photos! Thanks.
Old May 31, 2009, 4:20 am

Again, nicely written and documented TR, thanks ORDnHKG.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
very nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.