Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Gold Run: Mr Kevincm goes to Washington (with EI and US)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Run: Mr Kevincm goes to Washington (with EI and US)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Great report, sounds like a lot of 'fun'.

Originally Posted by Kevincm
There was a minor chance of misconnect - this was at DUB on the way out. If that flight was even 30 minutes late, this whole trip would had been up in the air (or I would had been doing a LOT more running at DUB)...
Out of interest, do you generally have a strategy for this. Worst-case scenario is your find yourself at DUB with your entire US itinerary cancelled, £160 wasted and still have to find your way home...
Old Jan 22, 2009, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Great report, sounds like a lot of 'fun'.
Fun, like truth, like beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Originally Posted by mad_rich
Out of interest, do you generally have a strategy for this. Worst-case scenario is your find yourself at DUB with your entire US itinerary cancelled, £160 wasted and still have to find your way home...
mad_rich, my backup plan would had been 3 days in Dublin's Fair City, a hostel, and phoning US Airways to re credit the flights or try and waitlist for the next day...

I could had checked in online, but I would still have to do APIS/I-94(W), so no benefit there really.

Sometimes though, a bit of danger is never a bad thing - helps you motive yourself to be near the front when getting off the plane and running .

Last edited by Kevincm; Jan 22, 2009 at 7:03 am Reason: missed a tag.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fantastic report as usual, Kevin!^ Great commentary and pictures!
Old Jan 22, 2009, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kevincm
Ah... but what is the real price HIDDY? My sanity?
You lost that a long time ago or you'd never have considered taking this trip on in the first place. MAD MAD MAD!!!!! If I was young and single it's the kind of thing I'd have done as well, especially at that price. ^
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold PC Plat Hilton Gold
Very enjoyable trip report, some useful ideas for my planned mileage run later this year
Old Feb 9, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Dave S&V for bumping this thread. I was off swanning around Australasia in First when this thread made an appearance.

Kevincm flying in whY. You have so much to learn

Very amusing report. ^
Old Feb 9, 2009, 1:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

What a fun read. I liked how you started with the ground transport - and all the great pictures along the way.

The things we do to retain status.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Fantastic report as usual, Kevin!^ Great commentary and pictures!
Thanks lucky9876coins. I enjoyed the CO DO stuff. Makes me wish I could had found anohter cheap flight in that direction....

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You lost that a long time ago or you'd never have considered taking this trip on in the first place. MAD MAD MAD!!!!! If I was young and single it's the kind of thing I'd have done as well, especially at that price. ^
HIDDY.... The bit my mind went was when I chose US Airways Alas my foot is still paying the price

Originally Posted by Dave S&V
Very enjoyable trip report, some useful ideas for my planned mileage run later this year
Thanks Dave S&V. The best thing is to keep an eye out on the mileage run forums, and also be creative. Don't take the first routing... sometimes taking an indirect routing can cost the same.

Just make sure you take hand luggage

Originally Posted by Moomba
Thanks Dave S&V for bumping this thread. I was off swanning around Australasia in First when this thread made an appearance.
It's all right for some

Originally Posted by Moomba
Kevincm flying in whY. You have so much to learn

Very amusing report. ^
[/QUOTE]

I do alas... Hence why after the next bit of pain (UA again) I will have some pleasure. South Korea and Japan have always interested me. That and I have a pile of miles to burn on a Star Alliance partner or two...

Thanks Moomba

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What a fun read. I liked how you started with the ground transport - and all the great pictures along the way.

The things we do to retain status.
Thanks SanDiego1K . I'm trying to make my trip reports... well more "tripish". Alas, I'm not going to poison the trip report forum with the DC photos... it'll drive them crazy I think

But indeed. The things to gain status... let alone retain it...

Oh well.. only 35k to go to Gold next January.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.