Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tijuana Marriott and Rio Del Mar Residence Inn

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Tijuana Marriott and Rio Del Mar Residence Inn

I spent two nights each in the new (2007) Tijuana Marriott and the Residence Inn (actually in Rio Del Mar a few miles from the city).

The Tijuana Marriott is actually a 30 year old hotel Marriott purchased and totally renovated prior to opening in 2007. It's located an easy few miles South East of downtown just past the landmark Gran Hotel (and just before the race track). The hotel has the added benefit of being next to a gold course with tennis, squash and jai-jali courts. Facilities include a reasonably well equipped fitness room, a fair sized outdoor swimming pool and two jacuzzi tubs. It also has three beautiful conference rooms (at least two of which can be combined).

The lobby is tastefully appointed and has two small bars off to the side. The business center has four computers available free for guests while the hotel has free wireless throughout. The dining room is pleasant and serves a terrific breakfast brunch buffet at an affordable 15USD. The rooms are typical Marriott but with lots of stone and ceramic tiles. Ask in advance about your room view because there are internal rooms with no windows. The rooms facing South, however, have small balconies (I'm not sure about the North facing rooms but East and West are balcony free).

A second visit is certainly in my plans should I have the opportunity!

I can not get over the fact that the second Tijuana Marriott property is a Residence Inn. It is certainly the nicest I've ever seen.

Located about ten miles from Tijuana in Rio Del Mar, the hotel is a mission style property perched on a steep hill overlooking a golf course cut into a long ravine. Although you can see the Pacific from most of the rooms, it's a long walk and there is no beach. For that, you have to drive a few miles further South.

A small pool and jacuzzi can be found at one end of the complex. The dining room is simple but comfortable with standard fare served for breakfast but an occasional Mexican dish included. At five o'clock every day they had free beer and wine in the lounge off the dinning room. I did not visit the meeting rooms.

The accommodations are very nice. Regarding air conditioning, I referred to my room as being refrigerated. Yeah, you'll sleep well. The toilet, I am pleased to announce, is equipped with a big comfortable bath ideal for soaking.

The surroundings are covered in leafy foliage and flowers. Very pleasant for walking around.

As for Tijuana, plenty of people described it as a dump, but I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it's far more interesting than most of the smaller North American cities I've visited in the past few years (and thankfully devoid of the ubiquitous strip malls so common in the US today).

There's a lot of poverty in the area, but I actually encountered more beggars in New York, Chicago, Montreal and Washington DC than in Tijuana. There are hustlers doing their best to entice you into their bars or shops, but I have no issue with this. On the other hand, there are some terrific restaurants with very inexpensive food. Drop a few bucks on a roaming Mariachi and you've got music with your meal. There are some fantastic deals to be had in the shops; leather, silver and ceramics are particularly cheap.

Get away from downtown and you'll run into plenty of other shopping opportunities as well. There are ceramic tile shops and stone cutters everywhere. I wandered into body shop to watch as craftsmen refinished an antique auto with leather upholstery for a fraction of what I knew it would cost in the US.

To get further from the city, you need a car. Fortunately, you can rent a car for about 25USD/day (only if you book in advance). Driving is relatively safe and easy - safer and easier if you're from Boston.

Ensenada, a small city about an hour's drive south of Tijuana is everything that Tijuana used to be (or so I'm told). The drive south is picturesque. I highly recommend stopping at the old Fox studios, Foxploration, where you can get a free tour of the site and stand on board the HMS Surprise (from "Master and Command ...")
Old Sep 11, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report and awesome pics!^ Both of the hotels and pictures of the city look a lot nicer than I expected.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Thanks for the report, great pics

Growing up in So. Cal spent many, many weekends in Baja.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by jezsik
To get further from the city, you need a car. Fortunately, you can rent a car for about 25USD/day (only if you book in advance). Driving is relatively safe and easy - safer and easier if you're from Boston.
Hey, I resemble that remark

Honestly, even as a Boston driver I've never gotten up the courage to drive in Mexico. Different driving customs and Mexican law has me appropriately nervous and respectful...and using the excellent Mexican bus system.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Excellent picture report. Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:45 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jezsik
The hotel has the added benefit of being next to a gold course with tennis, squash and jai-jali courts.
no kidding, Jai ali courts ?!!!! wow.

Do you know if the hotel rented the equipment to use ?

--
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:31 am
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs down

I question the safety issue. There are many reports about banditos operating to the point that the military are necessary for limited control of tourists safety! Especially when venturing out of the Centro area South down the coast. It is best not to be driving around at night or getting lost off the main roads.

There is no doubt, that incidents of robbery, stolen cars, etc are NOT reported on the evening news. But you can hear about them on talk radio in the San Diego Area! One talk show host makes it a major point to relate the chances you are taking with simple trips.

I have avoided crossing the border since 911 even on foot, while parking the car in a well light lot on the US side within feet of the Border Gate. I also remember when autos were parked in LOCKED lots at hotels in TJ. Driving to Rio del Mar would raise a lot of caution for me even in broad daylight! Too many strange things going on, that we don't hear about.

In that light, it will be interesting if any of this is confirmed by any visitors to the Marriotts.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
no kidding, Jai ali courts ?!!!! wow.

Do you know if the hotel rented the equipment to use ?

--
There isn't a lot of Jai Alai played there, mostly used for raves now.

I'm 99% sure he's talking about the old Jai Alai building right off Ave. Revolution (the main drag in the city) right near an AM/PM.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 2:10 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by civicmon
There isn't a lot of Jai Alai played there, mostly used for raves now.

I'm 99% sure he's talking about the old Jai Alai building right off Ave. Revolution (the main drag in the city) right near an AM/PM.
I remember the Jai Lai - it was way cool .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.