Search

Nz Mel-akl

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Nz Mel-akl

25 Dec 2005
NZ 124 MEL-AKL

Having just moved up to UA Premier Executive (Star Alliance Gold) 8 days before my flight, each day I called NZ to remove and re-enter my MP number to see if the status updates. It never did. I did snag 31C for the flight which was an exit row. I checked out FT re: seats and 31C was the exit row on the refitted 744s with PTVs. I got to the airport early, and the place was packed. Lots of travelers, especially the NZ Economy line, which stretched all the way to the other side of the check-in area. I gladly made my way over to the Business class, Star Alliance Gold check-in line, which was empty. The agent asked me if I’m traveling in Business class, to which I responded I was Star Alliance Gold. She checked me in, and told me my status was Silver. I told her that I had since moved up to Gold, she re-entered my number but it still came up as Silver. She told me she would check me in this time, but I should speak to UA about it. She put on priority tags on my bag and I went on my way. Since there was a UA flight leaving to SYD-LAX-JFK not long after mine, UA check-in was also opened, to I went over to the customer service rep, and told her my plight. She checked in the computers, and of course it was coming up as Premier Exec which is gold, but my BP said silver. So she called ahead to the joint UA/NZ lounge telling them I was gold and to let me in.

With all that settled, I checked out duty free, and went through immigration. As usual the ‘guard’ to the immigration area, stands there with his scales weighing hand luggage. Officially you’re allowed 7kg, which is not much compared to what Americans manage to bring onto the plane. I was carrying a laptop bag, and a large carry on, which he made me put on the scales. It weighed over 10kg, he asked me what airline I was on. I told him Air NZ, and told him I was flying business class. The business class tag I took from check-in that was on my bag certainly helped as he let me through. (As a side note, what I’ve usually found that if I roll my wheelie, they usually think it’s heavy and ask me to weight it, but if I pick it up just before walking through the doors, and carry it through, they usually think it isn’t that heavy and let me straight through). There was quite a long line of Christmas travelers, but eventually made it through. I asked for a passport stamp, because Australia doesn’t always stamp, especially with Aussie passports. The reason I asked was that my brother once had some trouble entering the US, because they had no record of him leaving on his previous stay. (I think it may have had something to do with leaving the US and heading back to MEL on AC via YVR). When he returned again via HNL and YVR, he had no proof he had left America proper, and no stamps proving he’d been in Australia the whole time.

But back to the topic at hand, I changed some currency and took the escalator down to the lounges. I showed my BP, and reminded them that UA had called down to let me in. I settled in for my hour or so wait, and took a newspaper and a drink. I pulled out my laptop, and was able to detect a number of wireless networks. Telstra, which of course I had to pay for, but there was a signal coming from the SQ lounge, which was free, so I logged on, and sent some emails my flight. The flight was supposed to depart at 12, but was pushed off to 12.20. There was going to be a boarding call in the lounge at 12, but a few minutes prior I left myself, made my way up to the gate, and the place was packed! The line was huge, so I made my way up to the front and the agent I was “Star Alliance Gold” and went down the jetway. I boarded, and I was told “you’re right here”. I went a few rows back to stow my carry on and settled in. The PTVs are pretty big! The PTV for 31B was brought out for the safety video, and then we taxied and took off. Our inflight service director Brian was a nice guy. The flight looked quite full, but then again I didn’t head to the back of the 744. On trans-tasman routes, NZ only offers regular or vegetarian meals so I only had a beverage. With the new on demand TV, I selected The 40 Year Old Virgin. I thought the movie would’ve been edited for airline use, but if it was, I’m not sure I would’ve wanted to see the full version. Especially with other passengers around. I fast forwarded through a few select scenes. I also saw a minute of a Pilot guide to SFO, which would’ve been interesting as I’d just been there the previous week. But the headsets were collected around the time we began our descent. A full half hour prior to landing, which was my only criticism.

We had quite a tail wind, and flight time was only 2.50. Brian wished everyone a merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah, (which I wasn’t expecting). Maybe me sitting directly opposite reminded him. This year Hanukah began on the night of the 25th of Dec. 3 EK aircraft were sitting on the ground. There was a bit of a delay trying to maneuver the jetway into position. Eventually it was in place and door was opened, only for the ISD to determine it was too low, so the door was closed and the jetway raised 4-5 inches. The door was opened for a second time and the passengers exited.

I came through immigration, and the baggage conveyor belt was huge! I declared all my food, the customs officer took some away, and let me keep some things, and I went over to Budget to pick up my car, with a free upgrade which was nice. A silver Mitsubishi Diamante VR-X, and off I went to Cambridge, where I will be based for the duration of this trip.

Hope you all enjoyed this,
goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.